fray bentos pies (1 Viewer)

Feb 3, 2008
ireland
Funster No
MH
class a r.v.
Exp
10yrs
they should ave been named, fray bentos lies..:Sad: after being recomended to me, by a freind,
who i wont name,but he is a fellow funster,and yes a city fan...(bad taste,i know).oh yeah he is also a crash test dummy for some bike company.:Smile:...anyway after picking up two of these pies at my local for now tesco::bigsmile:,i decided to do good o,l pie chipss an beans.:Smile:..well,chips an beans turned out great..but the pie was absolute shite.:cry:..the one i got was supposed to be steak, all i got was gravy n pastry...maybe not enough room for the steak. any body else had a bad experience with these pies....

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
We do Fray Bentos pies in our 'van, but double the cooking time for best results!
Not sure where your meat went, it must have all been in the one we last had!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Hayleylulu

Banned
Feb 17, 2008
Full timing in the van
Funster No
MH
Fiat decato
Exp
8years
not had a fray bentos since 1978. was living in a bedsit and had been out for a few sherberts with it being a sunday afternoon. went home put the pie in the oven then nodded off. woke up when i heard a boom!!!!!!!!!!!!! ooops forgot to take off the flippin lid . i did think of scraping it off the roof of the oven but decided against it and had myself another 40 winks. in hindsight glad i gave it a miss the wife tells me they are made from dead donkeys knackers.

Hayleylulu

Banned
Feb 17, 2008
Full timing in the van
Funster No
MH
Fiat decato
Exp
8years
they should ave been named, fray bentos lies..:Sad: after being recomended to me, by a freind,
who i wont name,but he is a fellow funster,and yes a city fan...(bad taste,i know).oh yeah he is also a crash test dummy for some bike company.:Smile:...anyway after picking up two of these pies at my local for now tesco::bigsmile:,i decided to do good o,l pie chipss an beans.:Smile:..well,chips an beans turned out great..but the pie was absolute shite.:cry:..the one i got was supposed to be steak, all i got was gravy n pastry...maybe not enough room for the steak. any body else had a bad experience with these pies....

WE will have to have a fray bentos meet:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I've worked in food processing plants, not Fray Bentos, processing food that used to be thrown out or made in to pet food ... I won't eat any of it ..

Ask yourself this question ..

Do you think they put good meat in a pie if it could be sold as raw meat ?

Same goes for any other processed products .. be it meat, chicken, pork .. only the crap is used and processed to make it taste like meat ..

Same with preformed ham .. plastic ham as I call it. It is disgusting how it is made .. once seen NEVER eaten ..

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
fray bentos pies should be put in a box along with 'Vesta' curries and buried in a deep hole. :roflmto:

and another thing.....a pie is not a pie unless it has a top, sides and a bottom made of pastry.

fray bentos is merely a stew with a pastry(almost:roflmto:) lid.

FRAY BENTOS......the home of 'meat' pies

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Here's a Northumbrian Pie (Turkey) made by our local butcher.

ATB

Stewart

Attachments

• turkey-pie.jpg
    turkey-pie.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 45

BionicPixie

Free Member
Aug 15, 2009
non
Funster No
MH
Exp
Some days you crave comfort food and there it is in the corner of the cupboard in the kitchen or motorhome .... with its little tinny voice shouting ...

go on, go on, go on .... you know you want to....

yes... the Frey Bentos pie!

There are times when nothing else will hit the spot it has to be the Frey Bentos Pie

my favourite being the Steak and Kidney pie .... drooling at the thought ....

A Frey Bentos meet sounds like a damnable fine idea of haute cuisine to me:thumb:

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
JJ my prince , i think they are all taking about you and your....hummmm....pies:ROFLMAO:

And you wanted me to taste.....those things:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek: I'm sure there's some better english food for me to taste, well, if you really want me to convert to english that is:winky::winky: But if you really want me to have a go, ok then, i'm not sure i'll still want to run away with you after such a try though:Blush::Blush:

Your princess

Frankie:roflmto::roflmto::roflmto:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Frankie once you have sampled a JJ Frey Bentos steak and kidney & 2 veg special your be his princess forever:winky:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
the pastry is ok frankie,
and the reason jj eats a whole one is because its a case of hunt the piece of meat in the gravy

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
[

DEREK... I KNEW IT:Angry:....I THOUGHT IT WAS A LOAD OF HYPE:winky:..FRAY BENTOS SALES TALK:shout:.....FROM A FRAY BENTOS SALES MAN:Cool::Blush:........AND TO GO PUBLIC, AND TO PUT IT IN PRINT ON THE BEST MOTORHOME FORUM ON THE INTERNET:shout:....THAT HIS FRAY BENTOS TINNED MASS PRODUCED steak and ale pies (as you put it Derek "the pie was absolute shite") well they have not changed from what we remembered of them from 40 years ago....maybe they are still the same 40 year old pies???? that his FRAY BENTOS pies was better than my home made PORK PIES......was a utter insult ... I will be watching this thread with great interest and hoping the man in question will get off his Fray Bentos soap box now:roflmto::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Derek I hope do did not put the FRAY BENTOS PIE over the top of your baked beans and chips and ruined GOOD BAKED BEANS AND YOUR CHIPS..

The city bit you mentioned...........WELL!! we all do silly things in our life we regret...he could yet grow out of it.....and become a MAN UTD man.....who knows

WELL DONE DONE DEREK FOR EXPOSING THIS MAN AND OF COURSE THE DREADED FRAY BENTOS PIES...HAVE YOU INFORMED CUSTOMS & INTER-POL......AS THIS MAN IS A JET SETTER....HE MAY HAVE BEEN LEAVING THESE PIES ALL OVER EUROPE!!!!!!! AS I HEAR HE TRIED TO FORCE "FRANKIE" TO EAT HIS MEAT AND TWO VEG...BLESS HER....THAT IS UNFORGIVABLE!!

Mel :thumb::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
We brought a stock of Fray Bentos pies out to Spain as well, after reading the recommendation on here.

We have tried two so far. First one the pastry was sloppy underneath so probably not cooked enough. The second was a "Chicken Balti" and was well cooked again the pastry was slimy even though Joan had flipped the top over. Am I mistaken? was the slippy stuff pie filling?

We still have a stack left that we don't know what to to with as you are not allowed to feed the wild cats on this site.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
We brought a stock of Fray Bentos pies out to Spain as well, after reading the recommendation on here.

We have tried two so far. First one the pastry was sloppy underneath so probably not cooked enough. The second was a "Chicken Balti" and was well cooked again the pastry was slimy even though Joan had flipped the top over. Am I mistaken? was the slippy stuff pie filling?

We still have a stack left that we don't know what to to with as you are not allowed to feed the wild cats on this site.

HEHEHEHHE :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:........Surely you must be able to claim a REFUND...CONSUMER RIGHTS!!!.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:...From there rep
Or be able to claim a TV or a satellite dish as compensation
Mel :thumb:

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010

:roflmto: Could have used them for curling stones on the pond last week!!

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Has there REP gone into hiding:Angry:.....does he not want to answer this barrage of complaints:cry: and people wanting compensation:Angry:.........or has he had one too many of his pies:RollEyes:....and not feeling well:Sad::cry:

Mel:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
:roflmto: Could have used them for curling stones on the pond last week!!

Well the forcast for Cartegena on Friday is 1c with 6mm of rain so we may get a chance to do that ourselves. Just heard on radio 2 @ 10am local (9:00am UK) that there has been heavy snow overnight from Syria to Egypt. Its getting a bit to close for comfort.

But that deviating from the subject so I loose a point. Now who can talk on the subject of Fray Bentos Pies, you have 30 seconds left.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
eBay.. plenty of mugs on there ..

*set up a site shop.. they sell for around 6e

make:

*ash trays

*dog bowls

*frisbees

*land mines

*Fun auction :roflmto:

Jim..... I like the "*land mines " as Hayleylulu found out.... THERE should have been a warning on the tin DO NOT HEAT OR EAT.................:ROFLMAO:

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
are you sure they are fray bentos,as there is a lot of copies about at the moment.
the only way to tell if they are real is to post all fray bentos pies to jj and he will cook and eat them then tell you if they are real or not,but dont send the steak&kidney ones.

chris

ps a pound each in poundland at the moment.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Jim..... I like the "*land mines " as Hayleylulu found out.... THERE should have been a warning on the tin DO NOT HEAT OR EAT.................:ROFLMAO:

just thought of some more

* use under the steady legs and jacks

* plant seeds in them

* stepping stones.. use as slabs on muddy pitches

* a puck for ice hockey

* wheels for a kids go cart

* steering wheel for back seat driver

* fruit bowl

* salad bowls

* dinner plates

* cereal bowl

the list is endless, :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I think it would be cool if JJ could make wheel trims out of FB lids for the Black Beast.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
just thought of some more

* use under the steady legs and jacks

* plant seeds in them

* stepping stones.. use as slabs on muddy pitches

* a puck for ice hockey

* wheels for a kids go cart

* steering wheel for back seat driver

* fruit bowl

* salad bowls

* dinner plates

* cereal bowl

the list is endless, :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Great Ideas Jim..........BUT NOT EVEN ONE OF THE IDEAS IS TO..." EAT THEM"...HOW STRANGE.......... keep them coming:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Mel:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::thumb:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
eBay.. plenty of mugs on there ..

*set up a site shop.. they sell for around 6e

make:

*ash trays

*dog bowls

*frisbees

*land mines

*Fun auction :roflmto:

Not forgetting parabolic dishes for WiFi dongles.

Doug...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back