Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Personally I do not think its a good idea, I have had my own cars which I thought were perfect found with dangerous faults on 12 month ones.

Peter

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
This one was going the rounds about a year ago - there was a big panic among the trade - general consensus of opinion was it would be very bad as many vehicles are only ever checked and serviced at MOT time - some of the vehicles I see - generally farmers ones - are in a heck of a state after 12 months and after 2 years would be near to scrap. The other story that was going around was that new vehicle would be liable for MOT after 1 year - as far as I know no decision or proposals have actually been considered for approval - maybe Geo knows more he has an MOT station. I do know they are putting the price up on a regular basis and understand the target is to get it to £100 and make it more stringent to test more items including wiring looks and to tighten up on brake efficiency but what that will entail I have no idea.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
In 2007, 21.6 per cent of three-year old cars failed their MoT, and there are fears the new 'softer' approach may compromise road safety and result in job losses in the motoring industry.

Proves my point! I had one car where the retaining bolt on the steering was nearly worn through because it was loose, done very low miles since last MOT (where it was not spotted!)

Another one was a Vauxhall where the suspension coil spring was nearly coming through the top retainer..........................

Both cases could have resulted in a very serious accident at speed on a motorway

Peter
Petere

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if you aint happy with a two yearly MOT theres nowt to stop you having it done every year...or 6 months....or every week if you want.:Doh:

Loddy

Free Member
Jul 5, 2008
south west
Funster No
MH
RV C class
Exp
4+ 30 years tugging
I have issued advisories on MOTed cars for tyres being close to legal limit only for them to return 1 year later with the cords showing, these are cars that carry children up and down motorways, to give them another year to kill themselves is not a good idea.

Loddy:Angry:

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
if you aint happy with a two yearly MOT theres nowt to stop you having it done every year...or 6 months....or every week if you want.:Doh:

Thats very true PJ BUT its not people like Peter you need to worry about it is the people who do not take care of their car and rely on the MOT as a check and service point. Some people will do 20000 + miles a year with no checks & no service and just get everything sorted once a year - the worry is those same people will do 40000 miles with no checks & no service and just get everything sorted once every 2 years

I certainly dont want to be near one at 70mph - dont know about you :Eeek:

buyer

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 29, 2008
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
american coach
Exp
20 plus another 12years tugging/small campers
personaly i would like to know what planet the to##er who dreampt up this 2 year mot test lives on.as a tester regularly testing 10 motors a day it is plainly obvious to say that SOME motors don't go near a garage from 1 mot to the next.i recently tested a car and found wire sticking out of the n/s/f tyre due to a total lack of tread amongst other faults .we tested this car 12 months earlier and guess what 1 of the advisories from that test was . you guest it ,n/s/f tyre close to the legal limit of 1.6mm of tread. do people take any notice(some do )put plainly all do not .this is not a one off,if this car did not need an mot i feel sure it what not have gone anywhere near a garage and i feel sure the tyre would have blown out possibly causeing lethal consequenses in the very near future.also some of the big vans, ie sprinters that we test on a regular basis that will do 100mph without any problem are doing 50/60 thousand miles a year.do they really believe 2 years is realistic, personaly (this is only my profesional oppinion) it is madnes and should not be allowed to happen.I MUST STRESS these findings are not typical of ALL tests carried out but it does happen an alarming number of times.also the mot test is only a very basic test to say the vehicle was safe at the time of test,not next year /month/week /etc.some people seem to think because it passes its test today and is issued with a ticket lasting 12 month it will be ok and safe and there is no need to maintain it, or even do very basic checks from time to time (wrong).:Angry:

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
.I MUST STRESS these findings are not typical of ALL tests carried out .:Angry:

It only takes one as you know and I don't want that one to be 3.5 ton sprinter loaded heading for me.....as an ex garage owner and mot tester and now a professional driver trainer I can't believe how many people never check their vehicles at all and some of these are doing in excess of 30k miles per annum.

I personaly think it is stupid.

But if you want stupid....Part of the HGV driving test is a controlled stop (emergency stop) NOT AS OF JANUARY 2011 it is being stopped (scuse the punn) and conducted on the road not as an emergency stop....so it will be stop by the side of the road.....we already do that.......you might ask yourself why.......it is because within the next two years they are trying to phase out LGV test centres and force us Trainers to have our own......but we cannot get insurance for a controlled stop....more lunacy.

All the best Rick

pudseykeith

Free Member
Nov 5, 2007
Leeds West Riding of York
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 Years
MOT

How about an MOT based on millage. Some have mentioned the large millages that some vehicles cover per year. I am at the other extreme, with 2 vehicles on the road Taxed and Ins, the MH covered less than 250 miles my Volvo only covering 1211 miles between MOT's
Pudseykeith

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
An MOT on mileage would be great for some but not for others

our motorhome - an old 1990 G reg only had 28k on the clock when we bought it.

Many people use their vehicles, but some dont, I would much prefer a 6 month check and 1 year MOT regardless of mileage

buyer

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 29, 2008
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
american coach
Exp
mot

you may well think that doing very low mileages between mot tests can mean little or no work required for a pass ,and you could well be right on the mark,BUT not always,a lot depends the age of the motor/where it stands etc ,i will explain .an old motor standing on grass for 12 months can rot like crazy,also tyres on motor homes i don't think ever wear out but they do perish at an alarming rate if left to stand in the sun.also brake disks tend to rust badly if left standing (this will usualy rub off within a few miles though)that is providing that the callipers havn't siezed of course. see where i'm coming from.if the motor is to be parked in a heated garage with the wheels of the ground to stop flat spots developing at the bottom the tyres then maybe just maybe your in with a chance.but dont forget to run the engine and put it into gear to turn the wheels to make sure the brakes havn't siezed, then manually turn the non drive wheels by hand . in my time( 33years) as a recovery opperator /mot tester i have experienced all sorts of problems associated with motors being parked up for long periods of time ie hand brakes stuck on/siezed clutches /and footbrakes, tyres cracking the list unfortunately goes on ,my point is that if you went on millage alone then some of these points could possibly remain undetected for a very long time.i hope you may have found this post interesting and not just boring .all the best .steve.:thumb:

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Totallyagree with buyer on this - regarding mileage related testing that would be unpoliceable as the only person knowing the accurate mileage on a motor would be the owner so a fixed period test is the only easy and safe way to ensure all vehicles are tested and as it is linked to VED and insurance is the best way to insure that as many motors as possible on our roads are legal - another point while 12 month mots are a pain to many it does mean a basic check is carried out - as the recession bites there will be some who will look to save money by not doing basic safety needs - You might be the other vehicle coming the otherway with the wife and kids on board when there is a catastrohic failure in an oncoming vehicle - leave the rest to your imagination

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Many people use their vehicles, but some dont, I would much prefer a 6 month check and 1 year MOT regardless of mileage

This 6 monthly service interval has been my routine since I got our Motorhome in late 2006.

MOT is due in December. I have the vehicle checked and serviced in spring and autumn.

However of late I have noticed that the garage are testing the vehicle and reporting the faults I have commented on, on an advisory notice, then doing the service. They have not brought anything to my attention that I was unaware off.

My last MOT was a failure on handbrake. I had put the vehicle in for service and I reported excessive handbrake travel, but this was not sorted until after it was tested. The MOT was not due for another month.

Last year in November, I decided to have all of the tyres replaced before the MOT as I was going full time in March. I asked the garage to do this as part of the service. I got an advisory at that MOT that a tyre was approaching 1.6mm. The vehicle came out after the MOT/service with a full set of new Michelin Tyres (£700)

I do about 10,000k a year and the manufacturers recommend this as the service interval for my vehicle, so mine is being checked at twice the recommended interval.

I am getting the feeling that these advisory/failures are simply a way of the testers to show the authorities that they are picking things up on the test.

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Well some vehicles out there(taxis) have to have 2 tests a year and it is a more stringent test than an ordinary mot, infact they have to have a test before they hit the road even when brand new from a dealership and i have known some to fail it, so i cant understand this 3 year rule for new vehicles to start with, in three years a vehicle that isnt maintained can be as bad as a 10year old vehicle that has had very basic maintanence through part of its life. Dont say but they have warrentys etc from the dealership as a lot wont go back to the dealership because of the cost.

Loddy

Free Member
Jul 5, 2008
south west
Funster No
MH
RV C class
Exp
4+ 30 years tugging
personaly i would like to know what planet the to##er who dreampt up this 2 year mot test lives on.as a tester regularly testing 10 motors a day it is plainly obvious to say that SOME motors don't go near a garage from 1 mot to the next.i recently tested a car and found wire sticking out of the n/s/f tyre due to a total lack of tread amongst other faults .we tested this car 12 months earlier and guess what 1 of the advisories from that test was . you guest it ,n/s/f tyre close to the legal limit of 1.6mm of tread. do people take any notice(some do )put plainly all do not .this is not a one off,if this car did not need an mot i feel sure it what not have gone anywhere near a garage and i feel sure the tyre would have blown out possibly causeing lethal consequenses in the very near future.also some of the big vans, ie sprinters that we test on a regular basis that will do 100mph without any problem are doing 50/60 thousand miles a year.do they really believe 2 years is realistic, personaly (this is only my profesional oppinion) it is madnes and should not be allowed to happen.I MUST STRESS these findings are not typical of ALL tests carried out but it does happen an alarming number of times.also the mot test is only a very basic test to say the vehicle was safe at the time of test,not next year /month/week /etc.some people seem to think because it passes its test today and is issued with a ticket lasting 12 month it will be ok and safe and there is no need to maintain it, or even do very basic checks from time to time (wrong).:Angry:

As Loddy said

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
In 2007, 21.6 per cent of three-year old cars failed their MoT, and there are fears the new 'softer' approach may compromise road safety and result in job losses in the motoring industry.

Proves my point! I had one car where the retaining bolt on the steering was nearly worn through because it was loose, done very low miles since last MOT (where it was not spotted!)

Another one was a Vauxhall where the suspension coil spring was nearly coming through the top retainer..........................

Both cases could have resulted in a very serious accident at speed on a motorway

Peter
Petere

It works the other way as well;

4 years ago I had a track rod end replaced during an MOT, 1 week later the other one failed and the front/nearside wheel fell off pulling me uncontrollably onto the kerb, luckily no one was hurt.

Needles to say the garage that done the MOT were only to glad to pay for every thing plus a hire car while the repair was done at garage of my choice.

Doug...

Loddy

Free Member
Jul 5, 2008
south west
Funster No
MH
RV C class
Exp
4+ 30 years tugging
It works the other way as well;

4 years ago I had a track rod end replaced during an MOT, 1 week later the other one failed and the front/nearside wheel fell off pulling me uncontrollably onto the kerb, luckily no one was hurt.

Needles to say the garage that done the MOT were only to glad to pay for every thing plus a hire car while the repair was done at garage of my choice.

Doug...

If you have a track rod end fail the wheel wont fall off !!!!! and because of the castor angle the vehicle would not have pulled you over.

Loddy

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
If you have a track rod end fail the wheel wont fall off !!!!! and because of the castor angle the vehicle would not have pulled you over.

Loddy

Sorry but your wrong, the wheel half the suspension, the UJ joint and the half shaft all came away from the car and was left hanging on the McPherson strut.

SORRY... I just remembered it was not the track rod end it was the bottom wishbone joint and it was the other side bottom wishbone joint that was replaced so I apologise, you are right.

pudseykeith

Free Member
Nov 5, 2007
Leeds West Riding of York
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 Years
MOT

Hi Buyer.
your comments are perfectly correct and well stated. but just to let funsters know that we are not running round in a wreck, i would like to comment on our service proceedure.
The van stands on concrete, Jacked up on stands with the front stands 6in higher than the rear stands,so that water is quickly removed from the roof. In spring the rear wheels and drums are removed and there contents checked checked. Front wheels and callipers are stripped and checked that the pistons are free and any rust on the discs are cleaned up. You probable think i am crackers but the engine oil and filter are changed along with fuel filters plus any moving parts on the chassis are checked and lubricated. My only excuse for this waist is being a retired HGV and PSV machanic whilst being unable to get off with the the van on a regular basis it helps me to do my motorhomeing this way and also keep my hand in with things machanical.
The Volvo gos in to the local agent twice a year for a full service, but only has an oil and filter change at the MOT.
We look forward to meeting up with you at a meet next year hopefully.
Regards and best wishes, Pudseykeith :thumb:

buyer

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 29, 2008
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
american coach
Exp
mot

hi pudseykieth , its nice to know there are more nutters out there like me ,bye that i mean people that tend to over engineer things and do to mutch rather than just enough or none at all.personaly i would rather spend money on preventitive maintainence than recovery costs, then repair bills on top(thats paying twice for something that may have been cheeper to fix before it broke).also the greef from er in doors whilst broken down at the side of road just ain't worth it:Doh::cry:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back