Repairing Habitation door lock (1 Viewer)

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
I have a duff hab. door lock. the locking mechanism consists of two locks, one top & one bottom. See photos.
The top lock (had to be the one that's more difficult to reach) has stopped working, it doesn't hold the door tight.
Has anyone changed this type of lock?
The inside lock handle has what appear to be plastic blanking caps over what I imagine are screws or bolts. How can these be removed? Do they need drilling out? Some are recessed so simply prising out with a small screw driver seems to be impossible.
Does the locking mechanism come as one piece or are the top & bottom parts separate?
Finally where might I get a replacement?

Sorry for all the questions but I thought I would ask before attacking it with drill or other tools.
Any help will be appreciated.

Attachments

• Door.jpg
    Door.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 194
  • Door lock.jpg
    Door lock.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 200
  • Door handle inside.jpg
    Door handle inside.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 181
  • Door handle inside 2.jpg
    Door handle inside 2.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 174
  • Door handle inside CU.jpg
    Door handle inside CU.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 172

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Get a wood screw or self tapper into the plug.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
You should be able to "dig" them out with a small screwdriver and those locks look like the ones that were/are fitted to transits?

Once you get the plugs out there are probably Torx screws holding the lock in.

Are you sure its the lock and not the keeper thats moved?

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
You say that it does not hold the door tight. Is it just that the striker plate has moved and needs adjustment, rather than the lock faulty.

Lunarman

OP
OP
keith

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
You should be able to "dig" them out with a small screwdriver and those locks look like the ones that were/are fitted to transits?

Once you get the plugs out there are probably Torx screws holding the lock in.

Are you sure its the lock and not the keeper thats moved?

Defo the lock, it's gone all floppy whereas the bottom one clicks into place and will not release until the inside handle is operated, much like some car door catches.

Thanks Lunarman but same answer.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
sounds like it may just be frozen or a broken spring :cry:
if you cant work out how to dismantle it try warming it with a hairdryer then wd40 initially.

andy :thumb:

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
Defo the lock, it's gone all floppy whereas the bottom one clicks into place and will not release until the inside handle is operated, much like some car door catches.

Thanks Lunarman but same answer.

If you are lucky part of it could be seized...try spraying with good amounts of WD40/Duck oil and tapping it gently...

If you are unlucky then you will have to replace it :(

OP
OP
keith

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
It's not seized, just the opposite flopping about that's why it wont hold the door tight.

The spring gone sounds like a more likely diagnosis, so tomorrow, tools out and attack it to find out if a new one is needed.

Thanks for your help, I'll let you all know how I get on.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
looks like your going to have to remove all internal the trim off the door to get it out.
on the latch itself there will be a small cam with either the spring under it or on the opposite end of the cam below its pivot point i suspect this will be the problem. the cam itself may be visible when you put the catch in the closed position. you may be able to look for this on the lower latch to find its location.
as said it may be a broken spring or the cam may have just got some water or dirt trapped and subsequently frozen or just plain jammed.personally i would try to move the cam with a small screwdriver to find out if it is seized/frozen or just stuck before dismantling the door as if you cant move it then the spring probably cant either on the other hand if it moves freely then its the spring.
hope this makes sense to you.

OP
OP
keith

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
looks like your going to have to remove all internal the trim off the door to get it out.
on the latch itself there will be a small cam with either the spring under it or on the opposite end of the cam below its pivot point i suspect this will be the problem. the cam itself may be visible when you put the catch in the closed position. you may be able to look for this on the lower latch to find its location.
as said it may be a broken spring or the cam may have just got some water or dirt trapped and subsequently frozen or just plain jammed.personally i would try to move the cam with a small screwdriver to find out if it is seized/frozen or just stuck before dismantling the door as if you cant move it then the spring probably cant either on the other hand if it moves freely then its the spring.
hope this makes sense to you.

Yes it does Andy, I feel it is likely to be the spring as if you push the lower, good one, into the closed position it clicks into place & cannot be moved without activating the handle. the upper one can just be pushed either way without any resistance. As I said I will have a go tomorrow when it's light and see what I can find.
Thanks for your help Andy

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
habitation door lock

I have a duff hab. door lock. the locking mechanism consists of two locks, one top & one bottom. See photos.
The top lock (had to be the one that's more difficult to reach) has stopped working, it doesn't hold the door tight.
Has anyone changed this type of lock?
The inside lock handle has what appear to be plastic blanking caps over what I imagine are screws or bolts. How can these be removed? Do they need drilling out? Some are recessed so simply prising out with a small screw driver seems to be impossible.
Does the locking mechanism come as one piece or are the top & bottom parts separate?
Finally where might I get a replacement?

Sorry for all the questions but I thought I would ask before attacking it with drill or other tools.
Any help will be appreciated.

Keith I had similar problem some time back with my autotrail door once i had taken cover off door it was obvious, the screws holding the locking bolts to the door had worked loose so simple fix dabbed with loctite and screwed back .I think your door has the push in type plastic fittings which have barbs at the back so contact autocruise for advice:thumb:also put old sheet under door when stipping off cover to catch any loose bits :winky:

OP
OP
keith

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Thanks guys for all your replies, today I fixed it. The weather improved so my fingers didn't drop off, if it had been -9 this morning (as it was yesterday:whatthe:) I don't think I could have done it.

I tried to remove the plastic cover off the door and managed it but I couldn't work out how to release it from the internal door handle. It did though allow me to swing it sideways and see what the problem was. The small spring that actuates the locking catch had parted company with it's mount at one end.

Fortunately I had some small springs that I was able to cut down to replace the broken one. I will carry the remains of the spring I cut down - just in case. :thumb:

OP
OP
keith

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Just to let you all know the final step in the saga of the MH door.
When I first started to sort the problem out I e-mailed O'Leary's to see if they did spares for the door locks.
Yesterday they came back & said no spares for the locks but they could supply a complete door for £600 :Eeek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back