Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
Pedestrians in France have been given new rights in a new law that is now in operation. Pedestrians who indicate that they wish to cross a road must now be given priority & it is an offence not to stop to enable them to cross. Failure to obey can result in a 135€ fine or an endorsement. The only exception to this rule is that if they are within 50m of a pelican crossing.

This applies throughout France, and is especially important if you are driving through towns and villages.

Bob

Last edited:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Interesting. For some time now our schools and day centres for pensioners etc have been promoting that when standing at the side of the road waiting to cross they should put their arm out straight in front of them.... as an indication to traffic to hopefully stop and let them cross.... I don't know whether this a local thing or not... or whether I have fully understood it. I would be interested to know.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Interesting. For some time now our schools and day centres for pensioners etc have been promoting that when standing at the side of the road waiting to cross they should put their arm out straight in front of them.... as an indication to traffic to hopefully stop and let them cross.... I don't know whether this a local thing or not... or whether I have fully understood it. I would be interested to know.

Just don't try it in these icy conditions! :Blush:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
I would assume this only applies to roads that have a 50k or less speed restriction, otherwise it will end in disaster for drivers and pedestrians.

I have visions of being rear ended and taking the pedestrian out with me:RollEyes:

Pete:Cool:

PS This should add some extra interest to the journey, when I migrate back to the UK through France, come the spring.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
How bloomin daft and dangerous. People will expect you to stop and the time between them deciding to cross and actually starting to cross will decrease no doubt. I have enough trouble when walking convincing motorists who are pulling out of a junction (or turning into one) that if I am walking with the 'main' road that I have priority, just as a vehicle would. At least at these times the vehicle should be going more slowly to do these manoeuvres and kind of makes sense. Thanks for the heads up about the French rules. Stupid as they are. Jane :RollEyes:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
When I was told, my first thought was all of all the missing limbs when people stuck their arms out in front of a bus!!!!!:whatthe:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Pedestrians in France have been given new rights in a new law that is now in operation. Pedestrians who indicate that they wish to cross a road must now be given priority & it is an offence not to stop to enable them to cross. Failure to obey can result in a 135€ fine or an endorsement. The only exception to this rule is that if they are within 50m of a pelican crossing.

This applies throughout France, and is especially important if you are driving through towns and villages.

Bob
And in keeping with an old French tradition if they are within 50 meters or on a crossing you can hit or drive round them:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

niggle

Banned - Rule 1
Banned
Aug 5, 2010
SOUTH AND FRANCE
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
:roflmto: this is the first of many to become law in france and europ on the 22/12/10 that i posted 2 months ago ,you can find them on the web :roflmto:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I am told that in Portugal, if I want a car to stop for me at a pedestrian crossing, I have to step out onto the crossing off the pavement...

...never been stupid enough to test this rule though....

JJ

The good old French... I love them... :thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
as an indication to traffic to hopefully stop and let them cross....

That's a minefield.
You slow someone overtakes ped dead.
You slow oncoming does not ped dead.

You stop, you are NOT in control of traffic but give ped a false sense of security, you could end up causing and being blamed for an accident.

God help the French.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Whats going to happen in Spain. Have been in the middle of zebra crossings when cars swerv around me,am sure nobody told em what to do with a zebra crossing.I dread to think what would happen if I stand at the side of the road with my hand up.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Whats going to happen in Spain.

You can't beat Marrakesh. Watch what the locals do and copy. You just walk into heavy traffic, steady pace, straight line and trust in Allah. Don't look, too frightening.

If Allah wants you, then what an honour.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back