Free Member
May 13, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2010
Juat read an interesting article on touring the Isle of Man in a motorhome. Seems they are very welcoming, and it is a great place to go. Anyone been? How was it?

David

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I had dealings with the Isle of Man in the early 90's.

It seemed to be a different planet to me....

On our first visit the taxi driver was really moaning about the recent banning of the birch in their schools...

... each to their own though I suppose!

It is a very small island... shouldn't take long to cover it fully in your motorhome...

Avoid all those motorbikes though... they go very fast...

JJ

PS... leave your cat at home...!!!

paulmold

Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)
I've always fancied a trip over myself. Did look at going across this year but booking ferry seemed a problem as there seems to be a low height limit on the ferries, only suitable for a standard van conversion not a high-top with an aerial as well. I think I would have to use a commercial lorry ferry, anyone know the best way to get over there?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I would LOVE to go there. Not been since I was ten years old when mum and dad and the next door neighbours went every year..... We went to Douglas and they had a carnival with a big gorilla in the fete which used to come into the crowd and grab the women and put them on the lorry.....

I was petrified that he would take my mum....:Sad:

... But I DID see a fairy in the fairy glen.::bigsmile: HONEST.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I'm sure someone from IoM told us they kept their Mhome on the mainland because of prohibitive ferry prices, but I could be wrong - haven't checked em.

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
Both myself and a colleague have relatives over there and I can tell you that they are one of the friendliest people you will meet.

There is some fantastic countryside to see and coast.

Beautiful place. The crossing can be a bit iffy at times though, it was a force 9 when we went over last.

TT weeks are best avoided unless you are well into bikes and going nowhere for a while

OP
OP
D

DBSilverfox

Free Member
May 13, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2010
no cat, so coevered that. will avoid the bike races. love bikes but hate crowds :Smile:

seems isle of man Steam packet has different height limits for each vessel, though the one in the article is 4 metres, so it should be good.

will look into it more closely now...

OP
OP
D

DBSilverfox

Free Member
May 13, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2010
I think you might be right on ferry prices. But hey, still cheaper than a hotel, and more fun ::bigsmile:

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Juat read an interesting article on touring the Isle of Man in a motorhome. Seems they are very welcoming, and it is a great place to go. Anyone been? How was it?

David
Hi David
not taken the van there yet , but have been over many times working and on holidays , we have thought about a trip over in the van but to date never looked into it. sorry I cant help with ferries etc but you will enjoy the Island if you go. peter :roflmto::roflmto::roflmto:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
last time i went the ferry was very reasonable....me and m/cycle return ticket= £9 and a weeks B&B in a Douglas prom hotel was £40...PER WEEK

that was 1977 though :ROFLMAO:

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
l live on the Isle of Man, and there are two ferry departure points in England. During the summer, the sea cat leaves Liverpool pier head, and has a crossing time of around 2 and 1/2 hours. Height restrictions are in force, but l think its the link span that has a limited height, not the ship. The other port is Heysham, just south of Morecambe, Lancs, and this ferry will accommodate any size of vehicle. It runs from here all year round, and leaves at 1415h and 0215h. Crossing time 3 and 3/4 hours.

There are camp sites on the Island, but, you are welcome to camp more or less anywhere you wish, within reason. There is a beautiful park here in Ramsey, and it is full of MHs in the summer, fresh water, and waste disposal too, and it's free. l can recommend numerous places to "wild camp" if you wish to pm me l will give all the information.

I think it's a wonderful place, especially to live. Very little crime, relaxed, quiet roads (except for TT fortnight, check before you book), wonderful scenery, and the most amazing sunsets from the west coast.

The island is around 30 miles north to south, and 13 miles east to west. Take your time and enjoy. We have Steam and electric railways, one will take you to the top of Snaefell where you can see England, Scotland, Wales, and Ireland.

l would recommend filling up with fuel before you come as its around 10p a litre dearer here.

Craig.

peterandclare

Free Member
Nov 8, 2010
warrington UK
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
I go every year for the TT staying in "homestay" ( effectively B&B with the local people) and I love the place.

Howvere in 2007 I persuaded SWMBO to come with me in the van ( Adria Van M) and we had a tremendous 5 days. Ferry prices were much greater if you stayed longer.

We enjoyed the site at Cronk Dhoo Farm Campo Site and in fact I took a party of fellow Yamaha TDM owners back this year to stay at the CronkDhoo. Lyn is the proprietor and am sure will be happy to see more motor homes from UK

the walks especially at the south end of the island are beautiful

Link Removed

We also stayed free camping here

Link Removed

the transport systems are worth a visit themsleves alone covering horse trams, trams, electric railway, steam trains and mountain railway.

Link Removed
1056.jpg

Isle of Man - try it and enjoy it!

All the best

Pete

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Hi Pete, just looking at the photos you supplied. lt shows how lovely the place is when the sun shines.

Craig

OP
OP
D

DBSilverfox

Free Member
May 13, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2010
Thanks for all the responses. this definitely looks like a good idea for 2011 :thumb:

David

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
I'm sure someone from IoM told us they kept their Mhome on the mainland because of prohibitive ferry prices, but I could be wrong - haven't checked em.

This is true, a lot of island based MH owners leave their MHs on the mainland because of the cost of the ferries. It's alright coming over and touring, and enjoying, but, if you live here then the first part of any journey is the ferry. So, if l wanted to have a week or so in England, l have to get the ferry. And if l did that 4 or 5 times a year, or a long weekend now and then, it becomes expensive. So, it makes sense to leave the MH in secure storage, and get the ferry as a foot passenger for a few quid when l want to go off, or get a half hour flight. lt's still cheaper than ferry costs with a MH.

Craig

Phil_Mart

Free Member
Sep 24, 2010
North Shields Tyne & Wear
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
1 month
The wife and I are hoping to get over there next year (2011). We will be taking the MH and towing me Bonny T100 for some fun touring ::bigsmile:
We are going for 3 weeks spread over the two weeks of the TT and traveling from Haysham ferry port.

Graig, the site we are thinking of going to is Glenlough at Union Mills. Have you any views on this site?

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
The wife and I are hoping to get over there next year (2011). We will be taking the MH and towing me Bonny T100 for some fun touring ::bigsmile:
We are going for 3 weeks spread over the two weeks of the TT and traveling from Haysham ferry port.

Graig, the site we are thinking of going to is Glenlough at Union Mills. Have you any views on this site?

Glen lough campsite is on the TT course just after Union Mills. l have never used it, but according to others it's quite good. A large campsite with all the facilities, but, l will check it out for you, and report back, no probs. Very popular site especially for the TT.

Craig

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Having though about this some more, I think one of the issues with the fellah we spoke to was also that he wanted to come to mainland Europe and against he'd paid TWO ferries it was just silly money.

novawight

Free Member
May 14, 2010
Hayling Island
Funster No
MH
hi top,
Exp
on and off 50 years
This is true, a lot of island based MH owners leave their MHs on the mainland because of the cost of the ferries. It's alright coming over and touring, and enjoying, but, if you live here then the first part of any journey is the ferry. So, if l wanted to have a week or so in England, l have to get the ferry. And if l did that 4 or 5 times a year, or a long weekend now and then, it becomes expensive. So, it makes sense to leave the MH in secure storage, and get the ferry as a foot passenger for a few quid when l want to go off, or get a half hour flight. lt's still cheaper than ferry costs with a MH.

Craig

The same as when i was living on the isle of wight, what a rip of place for ferry prices, there was an article i read it is the most expensive ferry in the uk :cry:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back