LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
When we went to Scotland we bought a Vodaphone dongle as we were led to believe that was the best one for Scotland. Never used it as our 3 dongles worked in all area, The Trossachs, Grantown on Spey, Fort William and Jedburgh.
We have never been anywhere that the 3 dongles would not connect.
I had a big download for Tom Tom (full European map update) at home in Nrth Yorkshire. Great I thought I will use up the Vodaphone before it runs out. Hrmpf no signal.
So I am posting this thinking it may help anyone thinking of buying a dongle for the first time. :winky:

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
I got an O2 dongle free as part of a contract package.
Never used it or any other dongle as yet.
Is O2 any good?

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Thanks Ken. My 3 Dongle contract runs out this month and I am confused as to what to get.

With your 3 dongle do you have a contract or can you pay as you go?

I do not have any other computer than my laptop connected to anywhere but will occasionally use the dongle on a computer which doesn't connect to a landline :)Sad: did I explain that properly)? I don't need loads and loads of space but don't want to find myself with too little.

PS EDIT. John I am 02 on my mobile, what do you think too please? I do not have a landline any more.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Munchie

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Thanks Ken. My 3 Dongle contract runs out this month and I am confused as to what to get.

With your 3 dongle do you have a contract or can you pay as you go?

I do not have any other computer than my laptop connected to anywhere but will occasionally use the dongle on a computer which doesn't connect to a landline :)Sad: did I explain that properly)? I don't need loads and loads of space but don't want to find myself with too little.

PS EDIT. John I am 02 on my mobile, what do you think too please? I do not have a landline any more.

Hi Joy I got an offer three years ago when I got a phone from them. I pay £7.50 a month for 5 gig. Cos it was so good and we have no land line Steph got one for herself at £15 a month for 5 gig both on contract. :winky:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Thanks Ken. If five gig good, then? Do I just phone up or do I have to go into one of their shops to buy it and arrange d/d.? Sorry but really dense with computers ...... amongst other things..:Smile:

OP
OP
Munchie

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
5 gig a month is a lot Joy. You can get them on line but if you call in the shop they are very helpful and will set up payment for you. :winky:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
You can get broadband on PAYG on 3 but the current deal is not as good as the one which ended in September (which is only open for people who had subscribed by then).

All the companies have on-line coverage maps which give a guide to the strength of signal you can expect.

Graham

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
So I am posting this thinking it may help anyone thinking of buying a dongle for the first time.

Thanks Ken....I use a "3" pay-as-you-go dongle and was under the impression that in Scotland (if I ever get there) it was going to be hopeless (it hasn't been great in a lot of the places I've stayed in England/Wales). Your findings are welcome news :thumb:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Thanks Ken. Much appreciate your help. That's another thing off my mind so I can clear a bit of space in there to deal with the rest of the problems.::bigsmile:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
I live in S Scotland & have only ever used my 3 Dongle to access the internet. Been all over Scotland & there are a few places it won't work, check the coverage maps they are fairly accurate I have found.
Most people will manage on 1GB a month unless they are heavy users. I'm like Ken with a £7.50 monthly contract and have never exceeded my 5GB.
I dumped O2 as they did not have as good a deal as 3 for a monthly contract. Their coverage is very similar 3, who also claim they have increased coverage now.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Hi Joy,
I went into a phone shop to get a dongle, but ended up with an upgrade on my Orange contract.
For once I'm better off.
The guy gave me an O2 dongle, so never used O2 at all, so cant tell you if the system is any good. Happy with orange for mobile phone.
Just wondering if the dongle is worth activating.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
are you sure it isnt a glitch in the dongles settings Ken.

i was on Voda for a couple of years and while the signal wasnt the best in the world i could normally get some signal...even if it was usually dial-up speeds.

Mandaxxx

Free Member
Feb 19, 2010
Wherever we stop.
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
We have both got Vodaphone dongles and apart from one area where we couldn't get any signals, mobile phones-Orange and Tesco & the Vodaphone dongle, we have always been able to get online. Some places are quicker than others.:thumb:

OP
OP
Munchie

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004

i was on Voda for a couple of years and while the signal wasnt the best in the world i could normally get some signal...even if it was usually dial-up speeds.

Checked the settings John at home on 3 I get full HSDPA on vodaphone I got one "bar" on 3g :Blush:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I have an 02, BT , Vodafone and 3 dongle all on PAYG, heck I'll soon have a collection.
Can't account for Scotland but in England and Wales the 3 is by far the best. The others will probably be better off in the bin.

3 dongle rules ko

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

No i wasnt :Doh:......i was on T mobile. i'm on voda now

only on voda 'cos i picked up a 'none expiring' sim for £7.50 with £15 credit attached.
still only used around £2 since july :thumb:

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
If you look at coverage maps from the various providers they all have problems in the sticks.
My works phone - 02 - has trouble getting connections when in the same places my 3 wi fi PAYG dongle will connect.
In particular I wanted it for Pooley Bridge - 02 forget it, 3 dongle generally good.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
only on voda 'cos i picked up a 'none expiring' sim for £7.50 with £15 credit attached.
still only used around £2 since july :thumb:

That's nowt. The original £15 on mine is still more than £15.50 now :Smile: I only use it if I can't get a 3 signal and they gave me an extra quid for some reason.

Graham

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Graham, re the old tariff that you mention finished in September, because I am on 3 with a deal with the laptop and have been for three years, do you think they might class it as already with them so I am entitled to the better deal>

Or is that being silly to ask them for it?:Sad:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Thanks Ken. If five gig good, then? Do I just phone up or do I have to go into one of their shops to buy it and arrange d/d.? Sorry but really dense with computers ...... amongst other things..:Smile:

I STRONGLY recommend you arrange things at a shop Joy... ask them about all their different options and, after the deal, they will look after you if you have problems...

JJ

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Graham, re the old tariff that you mention finished in September, because I am on 3 with a deal with the laptop and have been for three years, do you think they might class it as already with them so I am entitled to the better deal>

Or is that being silly to ask them for it?:Sad:

I agree with JJ, Joy.

I bought a PAYG phone on the 3 network (from Tesco) earlier this year and found I couldn't get on with it so had a look on the 3 web site and drew up a short list of three other phones which I thought would suit me better.

At the 3 shop in Stockton the staff were very helpful, steered me to the best of the three phones for my purposes and, because I wanted to use my existing PAYG SIM, didn't charge the normal £10 starting top-up.

Definitely worth going in to see them.

Graham

alcorn54

Free Member
Nov 21, 2010
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Dongle

I dont know why people use dongles. Ive just used my phone as a dongle for last 3/4 years a little slower but connects anywhere whilst sailing or in scotland ,in fact anywhere you can get a signal on the phone. Most phones on contract have free internet ,I,m with T mobile £15.00 a month conection with them now,so simply connect via blue tooth to your lap top and that it simple.

If in your motorhome and want to go online for a longer period make sure your phone is plugged into your 12v charger and away you go ,My phone is a Motorola Raz V3 nothing flash ,GPRS connection is about same speed as dial up and 3G is the faster ,most phones have both nowerdays.
:thumb::thumb: used it for years no problems. Whilst in Australia last year used it for vidio chat with family it was great ,but had to pay roaming charge,also uploaded all our pictures via facebbok to keep the family up to date with our Travels through New zealand and Australia simple and uncomplicated .Also used it for sat nav on me motorbike again through bluetooth and bought a 30 channell sat reciever £10 of e bay free from then on. Alan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
:Sad: Sounds brilliant.... but I am thick with technology so didn't understand any of it.....:Sad::cry: It certainly seems a good deal for anyone who can use it though. :thumb:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I've been accessing the Internet by connecting mobile phones to laptop and/or PDA via cable, infra red or Bluetooth since around 2000/2001.

The reasons I first obtained a dongle were to gain access to an alternative network for better coverage (phone was PAYT Vodafone and dongle was T-Mobile on contract) plus the fact that the phone I had at the time wasn't 3G so I would have had to change that to obtain 3G if I didn't get a dongle.

Phones/dongles are (like any computers) just tools. In my conventional toolkit I have a number of different hammers, saws, screwdrivers etc. Each to their own but, for me, the different tools enable flexibility and convenience that's all.

Graham

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
:thumb:
I dont know why people use dongles. Ive just used my phone as a dongle for last 3/4 years a little slower but connects anywhere whilst sailing or in scotland ,in fact anywhere you can get a signal on the phone. Most phones on contract have free internet ,I,m with T mobile £15.00 a month conection with them now,so simply connect via blue tooth to your lap top and that it simple.

I don't know why other people use dongles but I know why I do...

I have a Nokia E72 smart phone... you can surf the net on it... email on it... post on Fun with it... use it as a modem with your laptop either by bluetooth or cable connection (bit faster) but I also have a dongle (actually no dongle as the dongle sim card fits inside my latop but effectively the same thing) because I have a contract for unlimited use at 5.6 mb per second. The smart phone doesn't touch it for speed and if you use Youtube and the like, speed matters... :thumb: :thumb:

JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
:thumb:

I don't know why other people use dongles but I know why I do...

I have a Nokia E72 smart phone... you can surf the net on it... email on it... post on Fun with it... use it as a modem with your laptop either by bluetooth or cable connection (bit faster)... Skype on it... but I also have a dongle (actually no dongle as the dongle sim card fits inside my latop but effectively the same thing) because I have a contract for unlimited use at 5.6 mb per second. The smart phone doesn't touch it for speed when used as a modem and if you use Youtube and the like, speed matters... :thumb: :thumb:

JJ

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Mine is with my works contract so on 02 no problems £10.75 per month 3 gig.

having said that if I were looking now I would go for 3 as all phone sellers I know have recomended them over their own service, also you can get 12 gig dongle £75.00 use within a year buy another and go again seems like a reasonable deal, but I am sure some one will know better.

Hope this helps Rick.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back