AVG/Avast!/MS essentials conflict...HELP! (1 Viewer)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i'm running all three of the above and trying to update AVG to the 2011 edition.

problem is it wont download as long as the other two are present.

tried turning them off but it still detects them.

i have uninstalled Avast and now it wants me to uninstall MS essentials too.

is there a way round it without uninstalling MS and avast ?

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Why do you need to run all of these programs on the 1 machine? Do you run them concurrently?

I don't know how you got them all on in the first place. When I tried to install a new virus checker it always insisted on removing anything that existed. I wanted to try AVG and Avast when I was running F-Secure because F-secure seems to slow the PC down, especially at boot up, but could not get them to load co-exist so stuck with what I have paid for.

I have Avg loaded on the wifes' laptop and upgraded to 2011 but that process insisted on removing the old version completely before starting the new instal.

I suspect that if you want to load the new AVG then you will have to remove the rest. Then try to reload the others after If you really want 3 AV programs running.

Lunarman

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
ms essentials and avast home will run together but not avg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
ms essentials and avast home will run together but not avg

well, i must be more 'puter literate than i thought :roflmto:....i run all three concurently....no problems until i tried to upgrade from avg 9 free to 2011.

as to why....i found there have been many time when one or two hasn't detected a threat whereas the remaining programs have.

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
well, its gonna be a long night but after uninstalling MS and avast, AVG 2011 free is now downloading.

all i need then is to reinstall Avast followed by MS essensials...just as i did the first time round, and i'm back in action.

going to take a long time at my connection speed...less than 100kb tonight and the file is 112MB :Eeek:

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Do you find the PC is slow when accessing files John..?
On the Laptop with F-secure (Talktalk security) I find that the boot up time is very long and it can be up to 5 mins before it will respond in any meaningful way. Similarly when I start Mail T have to wait a couple of minutes before I can read mail.

Accessing mail attachments does sometimes seem slow but generally once an application is running accessing other files is quicker.

It is not too much of a problem at home leaving laptop on most of the time, but when away and just wanting to quickly check emails It is really annoying having to wait for the boot up.

lunarman

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Do you find the PC is slow when accessing files John..?
no more than it ever was steve, the very first day i turned it on it was s.l.o.w.

speeded up considerably when i uninstalled the pre-installed version of Norton security though :thumb:

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
AVG 2011......wish i hadn't bloody bothered.....:Angry: (remove the Santa hat...i'm not in the mood for Christmas)

uninstalled all the programs AVG couldn't work with and downloaded AVG free 2011.

i reckon i also downloaded a virus :cry:

lappy would boot but only to the background picture, no icons and no tool bar.

started in safe mode and all ok but no IE7 (not responding)
AOL still worked.

in 'safe mode' restored to a previous date....no difference.

in 'safe mode' ran a full scan using AVG 2011......nothing found.

in 'safe mode' IE7 worked :Eeek:

return to normal boot....no IE7 (not responding)

return to 'system restore' and 'undo last restoration'....what last restoration ?
only gave the option to restore to an earlier date or make a restore point.

just restored to yesterdays date and all works fine.

if there is a virus in there then AVG cant see it, which is why i always ran AVG and Avast! together and recently MS essentials without problems.

same applies to C Cleaner and Comodo.
i run one after the other and both will show different registry problems.

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
I am amazed you are not having loads of problems with your machine John, as has been said never run more than one anti virus!
Apart from causing conflicts they will slow your machine and also increase heat in your processor (due to the extra load). :Blush:

PS Having been an AVG man for years I have recently binned it in favour of MS security essentials as AVG was getting as bad as Norton at slowing machine down.

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I am amazed you are not having loads of problems with your machine John, as has been said never run more than one anti virus!
Apart from causing conflicts they will slow your machine and also increase heat in your processor (due to the extra load). :Blush:

PS Having been an AVG man for years I have recently binned it in favour of MS security essentials as AVG was getting as bad as Norton at slowing machine down.

because i 'restored' to yesterday i have just AVG 9 running.

restored to the point after removing Avast and MS essensials but before installing AVG 2011.

ran Comodo to clean up the dregs from both antivirus removals and i can honestly say it is no slower or faster than before.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back