LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
How to folks manage with water in the rv when its freezing outside. Our hose has froze but got water in tank so is this ok, whats the chance of the water tanks freezing and will pump be ok. Dont want burst pipes and big repair bills. Sure there are RV owners out there living in colder parts of the country than me.

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
We've had two RVs now, first was a tas old but on both we didn't have fresh water freezing problems with the fresh tank being in doors, so as long as we're in the van and have heating on all has been fine, fingers crossed:Doh:

The grey and black are a different matter. They were/are external and yes freezing is an issue. The first van had small tanks so didn't give much bother but Winne's are larger and we've had the bottom of the grey freeze and the pipe to the dump valve and the black freeze but just around the valve. This happened twice last year, but thankfully we, or rather Winne survived. First time was so bad it took and hour with hot water through a hose to defrost:Doh:

I keep thinking about lagging and heaters but I can't make my mind up as yet how to go as there are a number of option:Doh:

If all tanks are effectivly internal I gather some have found running a small heater in the relevant locker works or adding an additional duct from the furnace to the relevant locker works too.

OP
OP
Mikey RV

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
WOW... 53 views and only one reply. Is everyone gone to hibernate away from the cold, wish i could. :Cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2008
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since Jan 2008
freezing

Hi
we full time and cant get any water at moment:ROFLMAO: - fortunately have half full so will cope.:thumb:
Scared to say never had a problem emptying grey and black as due to try 2 morrow.
Who knows - its our day off site and after the last couple of days anything could happen.
Fingers crossed plus everything else - but all part of full timing - you deal with it and smile:thumb::thumb:
Cheers
jaen xxx

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
All my RV tanks are inboard inside a double floorspace,all underneath the RV has been sprayed with expanding foam including the diesel tank,so it has to be very very cold for the tanks to freeze.I do have 12 volt fishtank heaters fitted to the tanks but didnt have to switch them on last winter,and it was -12.I do have a problem at the moment with my VW even though I drained it down there must have been water in the pump,so at the moment thats not working.Will have to see what hapens when the thaw comes.:RollEyes:
Best of luck.

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Scared to say never had a problem emptying grey and black as due to try 2 morrow.

Pull leaver gently and you'll soon realise if either is frozen.

Our second freeze, going for a drive sorted it, combination of heat wafting under the van from the engine etc and shaking about I guess.

Mind you there was a couple of disturbing plops before full flow was achieved:ROFLMAO::Eeek:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
My last RV and the new one both have inboard water tanks and plumbing, the black and grey tanks are underfloor and open to freezing but both being Four Winds have the optional 12v heatpads which can easily be retro fitted . Laracroft has some for sale on rvoc for £35 each. They stick easily to underside of tank , then all you need is a 12v fused switched supply.
Beware if you have an outside shower , mine is in a little locker which I have filled with material insulation.
Check that plumbing is inboard in which case you should be ok

Larry

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Ooooh, outside shower, we got one of them and it's never crossed my mind:Doh:

Obviously drain down when I feel freezing could be an issue but never thought about freezing during van use.

ninjayorkies

Free Member
Mar 28, 2010
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
A Beastie
Exp
Since July 2010
- 11 here in the Black Forest and my waste tank/pipe has frozen. Meant to leave the tap open but forgot, only a few buckets of water in there so keeping my fingers crossed all is ok :Doh: Fresh water tank is fine but can't use water pump as I have a leak so having to fill bottles and keep them in the van. Trying to get 2 litres of frozen solid water defrosted for a cuppa was fun this morning. Now I know why people bog off to Spain :ROFLMAO:

Oct 23, 2009
Anglesey North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2010
Just got back from Bath brrrr it was cold . Spent three nights there and ok up to the last morning when we woke up to a frozen fresh water tank/ pipes . No damage thank god and once we got underway it all thawed out Ok .
So am now thinking what I can do to put heat into or around the tank for the next time.

Any ideas out there that are easy to fit on the drive ?

Thanks

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
both our grey tank dump valves were frozen on Sunday-----tanks were not full, but I didn't want to find them full when it was snowing !! Just a few minutes with a hair drier sorted them out !!
If it's not too cold ! tomorrow I MAY have a go at black tank--------that one is not so critical as we can go more than 2 weeks-----but I don't want to get caught short ! !
With our fresh water-------I unroll lay-flat hose 1 section at a time---starting at the tap---with the water running, to stop the hose freezing.--------------------when tank is full---take off first section starting at tank end, roll up before it freezes---when last section rolled up--turn off tap---------a right palava, but once hoses freeze, it's very hard to thaw out !
We also keep a can of fresh water inside-----after getting caught with no water for tea in the morning last winter !! (with our old 5er)
Our present RV has the pump in the back of a cupboard---so at night we leave that door open.
We have 'tank heater' but I still don't know if it's just fresh water tank-----or all ?????
The joys of fulltiming !!!!!!
Nigel-
BTW DONT use macerator if it could have ice in it--------I had to strip mine and replace impeller last winter !!

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Just got back from Bath brrrr it was cold . Spent three nights there and ok up to the last morning when we woke up to a frozen fresh water tank/ pipes . No damage thank god and once we got underway it all thawed out Ok .
So am now thinking what I can do to put heat into or around the tank for the next time.

Any ideas out there that are easy to fit on the drive ?

Thanks

Our last RV was a Four Winds Hurricane, on the warm air heating system there was a small, about 1" diam pipe on a junction from one of the main heating pipes, which led into the area around the water tank, just enough to keep the frost at bay.

poacher

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2008
Funster No
Keeping the tanks liquid !

Our solution to 'cold' nights and keep things liquid - although much of the plumbing is lagged

we put a 'spare' fan heater with frost stat on low heat in the plumbing bay

Although we have a blown air vent in the bay from the upstairs furnace - this is only effective when that furnace is in use - it wakes up S.W.M.B.O. when it fires up during the night - the extra fan heater causes me less grief :thumb:

(Considered the 'greenhouse' heater, but felt that with our fresh, grey and black tanks sat amid-ship, I wasn't convinced that the 'warmth' would get from one side of the bus past the tanks to the other without some assistance - all our 'hook ups' are on the opposite side of the RV from the space where the fan heater can sit safely (atop my tool box)

We have 'free standing' tubular heaters in the remaining 2 belly lockers - free standing as in they and the guard are mounted on boards, which we place in the lockers when the temperature drops but are able to store elsewhere during the warmer months

We 'run' all the below floor heating via an 'unrolled' :Smile: extension lead from a second hook-up on those days / nights when it is needed - this allows 'normal' life and power consumption upstairs - and we therefore only pay for the extra heat when it is needed - it is IMHO a much cheaper alternative to potential repairs

When temperatures drop, we disconnect and drain the fresh water feed and grey / black connections and use the tanks - reconnecting when necessary during the day in order to dump / refill

Sorry forgot to include - similar thread running on another of the forums
Link Removed

poacher

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mikey RV

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Thanks for all the replys guys. Something tells me its gping to be a long winter in the RV. Need to clear up them debts so we can head for the sun this time of year. I hate winter. :Cool:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back