Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Right, one for the techies etc?

Mum's lappy is old and slow so new one required, now I'm fairly computer literate BUT know nothing really re the tech side, ie I can use them but wouldn't know what the latest CPU etc specs were or meant so, recommendations on what to look for in a machine specs wise and makes, I recognise names and have a rough idea what is and what isn't a decent make but am I right?

Before you all go off with wizz bang this and that, all this machine needs to do is emails, and Tesco and Amazon ordering, my mum does little else so some fancy machine with screen/drivers/cpu's designed for the latest gaming is a complete waste, something simple but quick and reliable and it will need to be a Windows based machine for ease, ie that's what I understand and I'm the one that sorts it when my sisters kids bugger it up:Doh:

Thanks all:thumb:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I never buy the latest all singing, all dancing machines. I normally look in PC World, Staples, Comet, Tesco, Asda etc to see what is available as they often have some end-of-line models which were the all singing, all dancing machines of a few months previously and are well capable of the sort of use you're talking about.

Graham

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
try <here> for the best deals.even the cheapest one will do the job.

I used to like Morgans when they first started up but got bit disenchanted as you have to be careful what you're buying. For instance some of the second hand stuff can be scratched/marked and some of the lappys come without batteries. Factor that sort of thing in and you can be close to the price of a brand new alternative from elsewhere.

Graham

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
I bought mine a few months ago from Tesco on-line. Cant remeber the specs but its fine for the sought of jobs you want to do.

I'd be looking at around £300.00. I did see a lot of adverts on the telly over the weekend for net books that looked ok.

I havent used one but I woudnt mind popping in somewhere to find out what, exacley they will do, they were around £200.00
Jim
:Smile:

Check this one out, it will do everything she wants.

Link Removed

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Motorhoming since 2006, 30 years tent camping in Africa
iPad?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBSilverfox

Free Member
May 13, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2010
My question would be, does she really need a new one? you say it is old and slow, but all she wants it for is a bit of internet access and email?

first thing I would do is to check what programs she has on there that she does not need and remove them. Strip it back to what she needs and then defrag the disk.

Definitely clean it out first and defrag it. Even if you can get a machine for 200 quid, that is 200 quid better off in her bank account.

just my tuppence worth...

David

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
My question would be, does she really need a new one? you say it is old and slow, but all she wants it for is a bit of internet access and email?

first thing I would do is to check what programs she has on there that she does not need and remove them. Strip it back to what she needs and then defrag the disk.

Definitely clean it out first and defrag it. Even if you can get a machine for 200 quid, that is 200 quid better off in her bank account.

David

Very good suggestion that from david above. If your not sure what to do a friend could do it, or a local computer shop will probably charge no more than £30 (and thats a lot).

You may have other reasons for replacement, but emails/internet access should be a capability for all older machines - sometimes if they have no network cable access point or wireless card and you need one then you have no option but to upgrade.

As suggested earlier, if you need new netbooks may be OK and are a lot cheaper but eyesight may require the larger screen of a laptop.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I did see a lot of adverts on the telly over the weekend for net books that looked ok.I havent used one but I woudnt mind popping in somewhere to find out what, exacley they will do, they were around £200.00Jim:Smile:
Netbooks dont do very much, even the latest N450 chip set is still restricted to 1GB ram

OP
OP
Dodgey
Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
As suggested earlier, if you need new netbooks may be OK and are a lot cheaper but eyesight may require the larger screen of a laptop.

Eyesight, yes.

David

Spot on, but already done and though much quicker still slow.

Also, the machine did get hit by lightening a few years ago and though fixed it's never quite been the same since.

Needs to be simple, my Mum and technology are at best strained relations.

If she goes more than a few days without having to resize the telly picture she forgets which button to press:Doh:

Keep 'em coming folks, it's all usefull:thumb:

Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Motorhoming since 2006, 30 years tent camping in Africa
Needs to be simple, my Mum and technology are at best strained relations.

I know it costs quite a lot more, but you really can't get simpler than iPad IMHO.
The tasks you described are dead easy on an iPad.

Rog

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
An other idea woud be to buy a docking station so that she could use a full size keyboard and a larger monitor. Puts the price up but it would help her.
Jim
:Smile:

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
I know it costs quite a lot more, but you really can't get simpler than iPad IMHO.
The tasks you described are dead easy on an iPad.

Rog

I have never used one but my lad does and he swears by his ipad. Whenever he uses it it seems simple as Rog says, and the screen size is probably in between a netbook and smaller screen laptops.

I dont know your circs, but I help out with more senior citizens basic use of computers for my U3A group. Its surprising how many have arthritis or shaking of the hand that would make touch screen use as in the ipad difficult, so perhaps you need to take that into account. We have to get special roller ball mice for some to use.

Trip to PC world or similar to play may be needed.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back