possible Norfolk meet end of May (1 Viewer)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I MAY be running a Blackbird Bash at the rugby club here in Thetford for the 2nd May bank holiday
I ran one here for 6 years but bailed out 3 years ago due to other pressures.
It has been run by others since but the attendance has fallen due in main to weird locations !

Sooooo..
It was suggested that this would be a pretty good opportunity to get a Funster meet going at the same time

It will be from Friday the 27th of May through to Monday the 30th, with the option to stay on a day or so on the site if you so desire..

If we get enough folk booking for the Friday I shall arrange to book a whole restaurant for the evening

At least one band possibly two,
silly games ( including a moped grand prix with any luck.. I supply the VERY cut down mopeds and it is free to enter ) plus anything else that can be done weather permitting,, Welly wanging, tea bag and knife race, putting the balloon ( like putting the shot but with water filled balloons and your partner has to catch them.. The pair who gets the farthest without breaking the balloon wins ).. Oh and there is also a remarkbly silly game involving a tray or plastic cups filled with water and a tenze machine :Blush: :Smile:

For the whole weekend it should be £10 a head ( note, that is per head, not per vehicle as I get charged thus but under 16's do not count )
So, most folks will be £20 for 4 days ( plus, if they like )..

I need about 100 people to get this going.. I already have about 40 Blackbird riders expressing an interest

Usually these things set me back about a grand, hence the 100 peeps required
Any profits ( yer right !! ) go to Norfolk Air Ambulance ( none of us know when we might rely on that and other air ambulance services to save our lives )
Any short fall ( providing it is not too much ! ) I am gonna cover

Not looking for firm bookings as yet but if interested please post on here to give me an idea if there IS any interest at all...

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Not looking for firm bookings as yet but if interested please post on here to give me an idea if there IS any interest at all...

Looks good to me. Will ask 'er indoors later.

We've not done that area by MH, yet.

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
will the blackbirds not mind cookoos in their nest?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
No mate.. one year I organised a get together of the Smarty's ..

The average age and general outlook on life of Blackbird owners is VERY similar to Motorhomers.. ( have to be a certain age else insurance is virtually impossible ! )

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Sounds good John :thumb: A meet with the used to be hairy bikers We would be up for that.. ::bigsmile: Ex Hairy biker. Bob.

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
Put us down on the list John ::bigsmile:
I hope JJ is banned from using his souped up Solex in the moped Grand Prix ::bigsmile:

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
sounds good Jaws

Can you tell everyone what there is available for the kids to do as well as over a bank holiday there may be many more funsters with children who would be interested in attending. eg is there a swimming pool games room any places of interest nearby etc?

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I'll be in a position to come then::bigsmile:

All I need to do is get my bike up on my trailer:Doh:

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Cheers Dick
yes, there really is quite a bit to do in the area, including a forest tree top walk ( about 5 miles away, I BIG swimming pool, loads of fishing in the rivers that meander through the town ( and you can bring your boats and use them on the river which is pretty darned close if you know where to go ! )..

Thetford is also the home of 'Dads Army' and there are organised walks and trails showing a good many of the locations the series was filmed at ( and yes, they are VERY recognisable ! )

450px-Dads35.JPG

Thetford also has a a fair amount of ancient history, with medieval castle mound ( huge ! ) right there in the town park.. The park has rides and swings for the young ( and the daft like me ! LOL !)

800px-2004_thetford_05.JPG

There is also a monastery that fell foul of the dissolution of the monastery's in the 16th century

800px-2004_thetford_02.JPG

Travel 2.5 miles south of Thetford and you can visit where the UKs H bombs were stored !
Nowadays it is just an industrial estate but pretty much all the building are still there as well as the watch towers ! ( sometimes the gates are closed at weekends but for those with any interest in the cold war this is a very interesting place to visit )
Strangely, the site was used in the making of some of a few of Spike Milligans sketch shows :Smile:

There are 15th century stocks still set up and a jail house to ( though that has now been converted to residential use )

I could go on and on but lets just say as a destination it IS a pretty good one ! :thumb:

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Forgot to mention,,,
currently under construction on the edge of the town is a big skate park.
No idea if it will be finished by May but it MIGHT be.. all you skate boarders out there bring your wheels along :thumb: :ROFLMAO:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I used to regularly stay at the CC site The Covert and great dog walks there.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Ok, this is starting to look like a very strong probable rather than a possible

Will do updates as and when :thumb:

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Looks like it is live music on Saturday night and trying to book a Karaoke for the Sunday night

Currently the number showing interest in this is already up to nearly 40.. Given we have a maximum of 140(ish ) people it could end up being over subscribed !

Feb 3, 2008
Highworth
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 85
Hi
we are definately interested but cant confirm until band itinery arrives.Relatives in Ipswich so would be a really good weekend.

Pete & Sue:thumb:

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Will see if any parts dealers would be interested in attending.. If anybody knows anyone who might be interest all it will cost them is the normal ticket price ( £10.00 per body, kids free ).. but if they have a good sales weekend a few quidlets in the Air Ambulance pot would be expected :winky:

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Pete and Sue.. great stuff :thumb:
Not looking for a commitment at this stage of the game.. Booking will be available when we get back from Spain about February the 14th or there abouts

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Update

Site is now confirmed and booked

Karaoke confirmed and booked

Cooked food supplier confirmed and booked ( fairly large range of grub available

Sunday roast will be bookable at £9.00 a head for roast and afters ( maybe £8.50.. that is yet to be confirmed

Saturday trying it a do as you do day, Saturday evening live music and possibly an auction to raise lolly for air ambulance ( if you have something ( ANYTHING !!!) you would like to donate to the auction please please bring it along .. We sold a decorative candle 28 times one year !! :ROFLMAO: Kept selling it for a quid or two and peeps just put it back in the auction ! )

Sunday silly games ( some for the fit and or young, some for the older / not so fit )

Sunday evening Karaoke and trophy giving ( for silly games, but maybe one for fartherst travelled, best DIY mod, all sorts .. just depends on how many trophies I can afford :thumb: )

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
That would make about 45 interested so far.. At such an early stage in the game I reckon a total number of bodies will be around the 120 to 130 peeps !
If everyone who wants to go attends it is going to be a hellova FUN meeting !! :thumb:

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
TI reckon a total number of bodies will be around the 120 to 130 peeps ! .............:thumb:

Are you planning a "mass murder" ?????? total number of bodies :Eeek::Eeek:

better start the fun at 5am then so everyone gets a go and karaoke at 9am

Sunday Lunch from 11 - 6pm ??????

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Blimey ! aint got to times yet ! :ROFLMAO:
But I would say Sunday dinner will be from about 1.30 pm to whenever folk finish :roflmto:
Seating for about 30 or 40 at a time so tis def not going to be a problem ( apart from for the chef that is ! )

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Well put it like this.... I have not really ordered 10 kilos of rat poisen and I aint really contacted several big motorhome dealers to come and buy a load of motorhomes that might have been abandoned .................. :ROFLMAO:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
might possibly make the possible meet, won't know for sure until much nearer the time.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back