Heater, de-humidifier or both? (2 Viewers)

DBSilverfox

Free Member
May 13, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2010
Hi all,

Well my work schedule has got in the way, and i am not going to be able to get to Brugge for the markets. so the van is going to be outside for a while, getting cold.

What is the best way to protect the interior from the weather? I was thinking of running the hook up out and running a small heater in there a couple of hours a day. Someone else suggested a de-humidifier might be better - but I am concerned this might just suck in moisture from outside.

Anyone got some good advice on the best options?

David

PS I know i have not been very active over the last months (OK, you probably did not notice :Sad: ) - but work has taken me away almost solidly over the last 6 weeks..

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Low wattage oil filled rad will do the job nicely , keep cupboard doors open and up - end cushions to let air circulate .. :thumb:

no need for a dehumidifier .. as you rightly say, it will only suck in moisture from outside to replace what it removes.. .. nature abhors relative differences

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I use all three

In the RV I have the small 80w electric rad running all the time in the winter (the RV is 24' long B class so is similar to most eurobox shapes) I also have the temp set on the main heating boiler to kick in at 37 degrees (runs off of LPG) and I have a dehumidifier that chucks out to the sink (when I use the on board tank it has it only fills about once a week if that) - the Winnibago is fairly good at keeping out any damp .. I also use an outside screen on the cab. ..works for me OK.... I of course leave the cupboards open and the fridge and freezer are all closed down and have door wedges in them As does the cool box unit.

Bob:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi David, when I put a small oil filled rad in the van a couple of yrs ago, it cost a small fortune to run (800 w att ) and caused condensation on the windows - took it out after a couple of weeks and went back to what we have done for the last 9 yrs which is simply take out what soft furnishing / quilts we can and store them in a spare room. This takes only a couple of mins to reload for the off ( while filling water tanks ):thumb::ROFLMAO:I also fit the fridge / water heater covers :thumb: If you have not got these tape a placy bag on the vents :thumb:
Cost zero :thumb: and no condensation on the windows
terry

OP
OP
D

DBSilverfox

Free Member
May 13, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2010
Thanks Terry,

i have the heater vent covered, but no cover for the fridge vent - plastic bag sounds a great idea thanks :thumb:

soft furnishings are on end, and bedding is in the spare room. Managed to find a 600 watt oil heater in the end, so will give it a go anyway. Will see how it goes.

Also bought a small solar panel to trickle charge the battery while it is standing. Only cost 12 quid and it just plugs in the cigar lighter.

All the best

David

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Also bought a small solar panel to trickle charge the battery while it is standing. Only cost 12 quid and it just plugs in the cigar lighter.

All the best

David
should have saved the £12 for next years subs.....better value.

at this time of year you'll only get mere milliamps from a dash top panel and probably wont even keep up with natural battery discharge :Sad:

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
My RV lives on the drive so always has hookup, but I set the heating to 50F and put a dehumidifier in costs about £65.00 for the whole winter LPG and whatever the electric for the dehumidifier which can't be a lot as we don't notice a difference on our leccy bill.

Leave everything in the RV, all stays nice and dry.

Hope this helps Rick.

OP
OP
D

DBSilverfox

Free Member
May 13, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2010
should have saved the £12 for next years subs.....better value.

at this time of year you'll only get mere milliamps from a dash top panel and probably wont even keep up with natural battery discharge :Sad:

After leaving it for 4 weeks whilst on my work travels, and then needing a jump start from my car it seemed worth the minimal investment to give it a try. The guy from my local dealer (who did not sell me the panel) says he has one the same that even in the winter gives enough of a charge to keep his truck going. Only time will tell.

If it fails there is always a set of jump leads :Smile:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
After leaving it for 4 weeks whilst on my work travels, and then needing a jump start from my car it seemed worth the minimal investment to give it a try. The guy from my local dealer (who did not sell me the panel) says he has one the same that even in the winter gives enough of a charge to keep his truck going. Only time will tell.

If it fails there is always a set of jump leads :Smile:

I use one on my car while we are away for 3 months in the winter & it keeps the battery up. :thumb:

I also use a dehumidifier in the wet winter months. My thought is the damp air will always find it's way into your van & will dampen everything. At least with a dehumidifier will circulate the air & remove the water. I don't even remove the cushions although we do use the MH in the winter.

Off to my daughters next week & it's forecast to be -10C overnight. :Eeek:

Just had my heater serviced (Diesel Eberspacher) & We are going to need it if that forecast is right.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back