Traction battery instead of Leisure (1 Viewer)

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
There are quite a few people who say they are using traction batteries instead of Leisure batteries.

Has anyone here used traction batteries instead of leisure batteries for a long time and have they lasted?

I am asking as I have the chance of fitting a large truck battery in my van to use for a leisure battery and wonder if it will last.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
by 'truck' battery do you mean a goods vehicle battery ?

if so, it will be a regular lead acid jobby and wont be suitable for deep discharge....no different to a car battery, only much bigger capacity.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Hi
as John said---a truck would not have a traction battery fitted----------------an electric fork truck would however.--------- A traction battery would be ideal--but usually large and expensive
Nigel

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
There are some traction batteries available that are quite small.. usually fitted on motorised pallet trucks and the like, but hellish expensive if you do not happen to work in the fork truck game and know someone who is scraping a truck !

For the small advantage over a good quality leisure battery I would not bother

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Sorry, what I meant was a good quality standard lorry battery. The type that are OK to operate tail lifts as well as being starter batteries.

I have read that the Varta SHD range are very good construction and can cope OK as a leisure battery. We never deep discharge the battery and always recharge within a few hours either by solar or generator if we have no EHU

The battery I am considering using is the 225AH SHD http://www.varta-automotive.com/index.php?id=238

I have acquired a nearly new one at a good price.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
In that case I would suggest you rethink..
They are not designed to be deep discharged and a couple of good 'drain downs' and a normal battery will not be at its best, probably with warped plates :Sad:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Not for the first time but I am going to disagree with most of the battery advice given on this thread..

There is no such thing as a deep cycle leisure battery .. nor is there such a thing as a marine battery,.. you may as well stick Micky Mouse on it for all it means. Put a rope through it or stick a pretty picture of a boat and it becomes a Marine battery .. ohh and if it has a caravan picture it becomes a leisure battery :RollEyes:

The bottom line is that lead acid batteries have been around since the 1st World War and the basic principles have changed very little since.

There are two basic types of batteries.

Starter and Traction ...

For general leisure use: use low cost Lead Acid which can be topped up with water... so called leisure .. el cheapos

one last thought , why can you buy a so called 120ah leisure battery for about fifty quid, yet a 45ah starter battery will cost closer to seventy quid ?

Don't be conned..

and to answer the OP .. your big starter battery will outlast and outperform any so called leisure battery .. go for it.

If you don't agree then try Googling ..' the truth about lead acid batteries' .

or read here Link Removed

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
There are quite a few people who say they are using traction batteries instead of Leisure batteries.

Has anyone here used traction batteries instead of leisure batteries for a long time and have they lasted?

I am asking as I have the chance of fitting a large truck battery in my van to use for a leisure battery and wonder if it will last.

We've got a couple of 6 v Trojan batteries. http://www.tayna.co.uk/T-105-Trojan-Battery-Deep-Cycle-T105-P7253.html
We think they are great. Weve got the 85 w solar panel on the roof and very rarely ever have hook up.
Even this time of year , the batteries are always topped up whilst the motorhome is in storage.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i have to disagree with Jim, for once.

an engine starter battery is designed for short bursts of high current drain......engine cranking.....then its only there as a storage box for excess alternator current.
it doesn't do anything as the alternator powers all electrics using the battery as a 'smoothing' device.
it will have a lighter plate construction than a proper leisure battery

a leisure battery is designed for slow, light-ish discharge and will have thicker plates to prevent buckling.

a traction battery is designed for prolonged discharge at a higher rate than a leisure.

i do agree however, that any old battery can have a pretty label attached and sell as a leisure battery by some unscrupulous manufacturers.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Trojan are traction batteries ..

can't beat them provided you have the space to accommodate and the finances to buy them..

We were very lucky , we had ours given. Favour for a favour .
They were off a new forklift . Hardly used . :thumb:
Our diesel heating is a b*gger on the batteries , and totally flattened normal leisure batteries last winter. Trojans are able to cope a lot better.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
i have to disagree with Jim, for once.

fair enough John.. I've said what I believe and have practiced , so no point in repeating ..

all I will say is read the link and do your own research .. I have emailed a reputable battery manufacturer .. will post when or if they reply ..

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
fair enough John.. I've said what I believe and have practiced , so no point in repeating ..

all I will say is read the link and do your own research .. I have emailed a reputable battery manufacturer .. will post when or if they reply ..

if we all agreed on everything it would be a boring world :Sad:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
ideal long term usage - golf cart(buggy) batteries, they are heavy though and a pretty price new

Dude

Free Member
Oct 22, 2010
Sussex
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
1 year
The Trojan 6v range don't look too bad price wise, could 2 of these be temed up with 2 12v leisure batteries by wiring the 2 trojans together and then linking to the 12v's already in place?????

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Too bloody long ago for me to rely on memory, so had to dig out my old papers.

Open-circuit at full discharge: 11.5 V to 12.0 V
Loaded ( any load over .8 amp) at full discharge: 10.4 V

Figures from Exide ( but a while ago ! )

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
OK then. What voltage does the battery need to get to, to be considered deeply discharged?

Battery at rest ..

At 11.8 - 12v you have only 20% of charge left (Cells die soon at this point. Bye-bye battery.)

there is a chart on this link and all you need to know about batteries .. well worth reading.

http://www.phrannie.org/battery.html

gibbon

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005
Thinking of buying two 6 volt Trojan 105 batteries in conjunction with a solar panel etc.
2 Trojans from Tayna are £227 via Ebay.
Considering how much better & longer lasting people in the know say they are, I don't think that's too bad. Banner are'nt much cheaper.
The motorhome/leisure industry as a whole seem to think that we should pay 2 or 3 times the cost of mainstream domestic or automobile equipment so this sounds like reasonable value if you put it into perspective:thumb:.

Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
batteries

So all this said should I wire my 2000w inverter to my starter battery which will draw about 160 amps as the battery is capable of 700 amps (cranking) or do I connect to my two 110ah batteries as these are more for long continuous small currant draw.

I thought I had all this worked out till I read this post:Doh:
Steve

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Rule of thumb .. The more lead the better the battery
6v batteries have more lead and the over all plate surface area is greater :thumb:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Agree with Jaws about more lead = better battery (generally).

Its one of the things I look at when choosing batteries. How much does it weigh. Mine are almost 80KG each...

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
So all this said should I wire my 2000w inverter to my starter battery which will draw about 160 amps as the battery is capable of 700 amps (cranking) or do I connect to my two 110ah batteries as these are more for long continuous small currant draw.

I thought I had all this worked out till I read this post:Doh:
Steve

The leisure batteries will be fine. Most are rebadged starter batteries anyway.

Even proper traction type cells can discharge at 100% of their quoted Ah capacity with no problems.:Smile:

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Well, we've just put in a new 'hab' battery - a 110a we got off Ebay for about £50/60 ... can't remember the make offhand... but not Varta/Exide whatever - possibly Banner, can't be a**** to lift the lid and check :winky:
It's got a 4 year warranty for what it's worth ...
Not sure why we replaced the old one really - it's still going strong, used for lighting in one of the houses, although it is of unknown date other than it was on the MH already before she was imported from Germany in 2008...

Anyway, with 2 solar panels, 1 x 80w and 1 x 50w this cheapie does everything we ask of it (heater-blower occasionally, taps, led lights,tv etc.)

Previous MH had a pair of these same batteries with just 1 x 80w panel. Fulltiming. With Propex heating, water,lights,tv etc. Never ran short. Now, these were fitted new in 2008 and are still ok now, according to the 'new' owner who also lives in her fulltime.

These batteries are described as 'leisure batteries also suitable as starter batteries'

:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Well, we've just put in a new 'hab' battery - a 110a we got off Ebay for about £50/60 ... can't remember the make offhand... but not Varta/Exide whatever - possibly Banner, can't be a**** to lift the lid and check :winky:
It's got a 4 year warranty for what it's worth ...
Not sure why we replaced the old one really - it's still going strong, used for lighting in one of the houses, although it is of unknown date other than it was on the MH already before she was imported from Germany in 2008...

Anyway, with 2 solar panels, 1 x 80w and 1 x 50w this cheapie does everything we ask of it (heater-blower occasionally, taps, led lights,tv etc.)

Previous MH had a pair of these same batteries with just 1 x 80w panel. Fulltiming. With Propex heating, water,lights,tv etc. Never ran short. Now, these were fitted new in 2008 and are still ok now, according to the 'new' owner who also lives in her fulltime.

These batteries are described as 'leisure batteries also suitable as starter batteries'

:thumb:

most fulltimers will be on hookup indefinately so their batteries will last forever.....until they do go off grid.

on hookup your batteries are just there as a reserve supply if you exceed your chargers output....then you draw any excess power requirements from the batteries....ie: 15 amp charger....20 amp current draw....5 amps from battery and 15 amps from charger until excess load is removed then charger recharges batteries as well as providing power.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
[HI]most fulltimers [/HI]will be on hookup indefinately so their batteries will last forever.....until they do go off grid.

on hookup your batteries are just there as a reserve supply if you exceed your chargers output....then you draw any excess power requirements from the batteries....ie: 15 amp charger....20 amp current draw....5 amps from battery and 15 amps from charger until excess load is removed then charger recharges batteries as well as providing power.

I know 3 other fulltimers well enough to know their habits. Out of the 4 of us only 1 is on permanent hookup. The rest of us spend more time off hookup than on. I did 9 months+ this year off hookup. Been on hookup now for 3 weeks now.

I wonder if Maz will read this thread. I am not sure if she is still doing off hookup sites as well anymore?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back