Free Member
Nov 21, 2010
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Hi all

Can I ask you experts a couple of questions please? as I am sorting my motorhome out at the moment and would like to avoid wasted expense on things that are not needed. I currently have a Mcluies Tandy 673 2008 low profile 4 berth.
It doesn’t have a spare but comes with foam repair kit ,I hate this idea am I right or wrong?? as what happens if you have a damaged tyre wall. Is this normal practise as they have even removed spare wheel bracket .
It has full TV power points aerial socket wired in but no aerial ? cables are ready to connect apparently behind control panel ,what make/type of aerial would you fit?
Leisure batteries,it has one ,im think of adding another one or two ,also was thinking of having a solar panel added at the same time,any comments or advice ?
I am a strong believer in doing things right the first time ,so any suggestions of what to buy or what not to buy will be taken on board and will be verymuch appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Alan

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Hi all

Can I ask you experts a couple of questions please? as I am sorting my motorhome out at the moment and would like to avoid wasted expense on things that are not needed. I currently have a Mcluies Tandy 673 2008 low profile 4 berth.
It doesn’t have a spare but comes with foam repair kit ,I hate this idea am I right or wrong?? as what happens if you have a damaged tyre wall. Is this normal practise as they have even removed spare wheel bracket .
It has full TV power points aerial socket wired in but no aerial ? cables are ready to connect apparently behind control panel ,what make/type of aerial would you fit?
Leisure batteries,it has one ,im think of adding another one or two ,also was thinking of having a solar panel added at the same time,any comments or advice ?
I am a strong believer in doing things right the first time ,so any suggestions of what to buy or what not to buy will be taken on board and will be verymuch appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Alan

You have more chance of getting murdered in your bed at night than getting it right first time just do not get frustrated when it is not right and smile and do it again.

its all about learning and enjoying

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi all

Thanks in advance

Alan
Hi Alan and welcome :thumb:
NOT A EXPERT BUT HERE GOES :ROFLMAO:
1 don't like the foam idea so would prefer a proper spare :thumb: if you have room
2 ariels are not fitted so you can choose - ariel or satalite - Status 535 or 530 have been good for me
3 Wiat and see if you need them rather than want :ROFLMAO: start by just adding a second battery :thumb: you may well find this is all you need
4 AS 3 wait and see
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

f6c

Nov 7, 2010
gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu 640
Exp
23 Years
Hi Alan,
As already posted be patient, solar panels are good but not the b&end all of everything?
Second leisure battery I would recommend.
In my view a spare wheel is a must have.
Best bit of advice ask motor homers they tell it as it is.:thumb:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi Alan and welcome :thumb:
NOT A EXPERT BUT HERE GOES :ROFLMAO:
1 don't like the foam idea so would prefer a proper spare :thumb: if you have room
2 ariels are not fitted so you can choose - ariel or satalite - Status 535 or 530 have been good for me
3 Wiat and see if you need them rather than want :ROFLMAO: start by just adding a second battery :thumb: you may well find this is all you need
4 AS 3 wait and see
terry

Agree with Terry on all points, I never buy anything in the way of extras till I have tried first, and find I need it. That way you don't halp the classified add section become full and you lose cash.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Both Terry and f6c have given sound advice. I read on another site a post from someone without a spare, he carries a new tyre, because sometimes you have to wait a couple of days for them to get one, (especially overseas) He said its also handy to store bibs and bobs in. I think it was Dave Newell that posted that.

Second hand knowledge I know, but hope it helps.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Agree with all above ( how boring is that !! LOL !)

TV aerials.. Lots about but one to avoid is Status ONLY because they are not as special as the price would have you believe .. They trade on the fact they are known rather than massively better quality or ability..

This is the type I bought and fitted 18 months ago:

Link Removed

It works really well and I can even get a solid digi signal outside my house ( to put this in perspective I have had to fit a 72 ele aerial with 20dB gain mast head preamp on the house ! )

I bought it not expecting a lot as it was so cheap.. Pleasantly surprised is an understatement !

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi John, does the ebay one come with a fitting kit ?If it does it looks a bargain :thumb:I only recommended the status because I have had 4 yrs problem free :thumb: and always got a signal :thumb: Then again I never had much problem with the flying saucer type either :ROFLMAO:Before that I had a normal short house Ariel fastened to a pole :winky: again not a problem just did not look pretty like the 535 :ROFLMAO::Doh:
terry

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Not as such.. But if there is nothing fitted at all, you can get the mast and flange etc direct from Maxview Aerials at Setchey, Norfolk ( Setchey is pronounced setch )
Cost is about £40.00

Oops !
Just re read your forst post Terry.. You must think I am a right piece of work !! I never noticed that you had mentioned Status or I would have been a bit more ummmm .. well subtle !! :Smile:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Not as such.. But if there is nothing fitted at all, you can get the mast and flange etc direct from Maxview Aerials at Setchey, Norfolk ( Setchey is pronounced setch )
Cost is about £40.00

Oops !
Just re read your forst post Terry.. You must think I am a right piece of work !! I never noticed that you had mentioned Status or I would have been a bit more ummmm .. well subtle !! :Smile:

:ROFLMAO:No probs I am all for saving money on things that work just as well as the pricer things
terry

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
my advise on TV aerial......dont bother.

if the money is available then go the satellite dish route but if funds are a bit tight then something like the 'through the roof' status type....avoid the staus 315 flying saucer type...other say they are good but i dont believe them and nevedr had any luck with mine.
plus all adjustments from indoors so no getting wet.

with an aerial you need to find the direction of the transmitter/booster then actually point the aerial directly at it, once you find out whether its of horizontal or vertical polarity.

then you need to retune the TV/digibox EVERY time you set it up.

sat dish.....point it at the satellite and switch tv/sat box on...already tuned.

takes a while to get used to pointing it in the right direction but it comes easy eventually.

solar panel.....wouldnt be without now i've used one.

last van had a 120w jobby with 3 x 110ah batteries and the current RV has a 170w panel tied to 4 x 120ah batteries.

spare wheel...definately, no amount of 'sealer' will fix a sidewall gash or blow-out.

OP
OP
alcorn54

alcorn54

Free Member
Nov 21, 2010
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Thanks Guys

HI ALL THANKS FOR THE REPLIES AND ADVICE.

I bought a used spare wheel with new Tyre of e bay for £45.00 ,I really don’t understand why fiat don’t give you a spare and remove the bracket on Motor home,who in their right mind would go touring with a can of foam ? I'll fit the new spare it in Van garage when the weather changes..

Also I have done a bit of reading up on TV Aerials the last few days and found absolutely loads of people complaining about no reception from their status,but also found quite a few complementing one made in Italy one called TELEPLUS X 2
a Double Polarity - 38dB horizontal and vertical aerial RRP £139.99, supposidly great reception ,Anyway Again e bay came up trumps selling them brand new £89.00 and with 3 year warranty up to £70.00 cheaper than Status , see link. Attached .
Link Removed.

Not 100% sure but the hand book says all the TV power and sockets already connected in both the bedroom and seating area and cables apparently already in ready to be connected behind control panel.

I have also bought an extra 115V Leisure battery with 4 year warranty & maintenance free ,so ill be able to run a while longer without hooking up to electricity..

Still thinking
about solar panels but the best value as suggested seems to be from Green electrics ,they will supply x2 PV 80w Panels with all cables connections and control panel,roof junction box ,and for under £290.00. Again cheaper by over £30.00 each on there e bay site.

.I,ll think on these over the next month or so and probably order if wanted end of January and have everything fitted together at Oliver’s Auto Electricians of Ferry hill in Co Durham a great Auto electrician who knows his way around most motorhomes. At least I will be a 100% positive my electrical system will be working correctly .

Any advice on a bonding glue for gluing panels to roof would be appreciate as not sure what to use? I definitely don’t want to screw them down, I,m also not sure whether 2 panels will be over kill but I intend to use my motorhome all year so they’ll 'probably come in handy when we have less day light.

Thanks for all advise and I hope to meet some you next year on some of the get together's. Alan

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
satelite kit

Hi folks. B and Q have a satelite kit on sale at the moment for just £50. That includes 65 mm dish, all mounts, sat box , LNB and cable 20 mtrs. And its HD and does analogue as well as digital. Got to be worth a punt I think ( not an Irish punt) so I have and will keep you posted. the experty bloke in B and Q (also a wrinkly) said he had got one and was delighted. All we need now is a telly.

Good luck all. Mitch.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi and welcome to the site, TV antenna as per Jaws
Link Removed

I used one for several years a, it is not directional and always found a signal where there was one to be found. I fail to see how a Satellite dish can be both analogue (terrestrial) and a sat (extraterestrial) maybe someone can educate me.
a pair of 110 am/hr batteries should be enough. solar depends on your usage, wilding or sites. Long or short periods

harryoxford2

Free Member
Sep 14, 2010
Bishops Stortford Herts
Funster No
MH
B
Exp
2010 and camper all my life
Hi all

Thanks in advance

Alan

completely the same problem here Alan with a new rv. After initial much welcomed help from nthe people on here I decided to live in it on the drive for some weeks off and on.
That sorted the wheat from the chaff....I had loaded this and that and not used anything I had loaded. However I did discover what I really needed and what I would use regularly.
Choices for TV. get a 240v and a 12v to 240 v converter thingy? or get a 240v and dont watch it if wild camping as most hook ups are 230 abroad or 240 here.
Or get a dual 12v/240v tele and have the choice of both useage...the only thing is limitation in size. as they only go up to about 22 inch.

So for a check list...
1. will you wild camp...answer no? move to answer 2 if yes..you need to find the 12v stuff you need....
2. no wild camping...problem solved get all 240 stuff....
3. second hand stuff....lots of unused gear out there especially in ebay.

My point is...hopefully not sound patronising or teaching granny to suck eggs...(does anyones granny suck eggs by the way?)

If you pretend live in it for a while all will be revealed.

My one blessing living in it is I found my hot water provides piping hot water for a 5 minute shower...and I mean 4 mins 59 seconds is wonderful but at 5 mins 1 second I am in freezing cold water.

Have fun pulling your hair out and ask away...
Luckily I found the american already fitted arieal works fine but im also looking at the sat market....fixed or portable....decisions decisions...

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Hi all

Thanks in advance

Alan

Hi Alan I have a 2008 Mclouis steel 463 low profile on a Fiat 130 mutijet..at present....( I am in the process of changing it for a 2011 RAPIDO A class)........now to answer some of your questions....mine had 1 habitation battery of 85amp fitted from new...I found this well under powered......so two of 100 amph + would be better.....we managed/struggled with the one battery in summer ........we had a ALDEN satellite dish fitted when we purchased the van from new.......that worked fine.....we used a pace 12v free sat sky type receiver and that works fine all the way down to the med in France.....the television was also fitted on purchase and that is a INOVTECH colour TV and that works fine..We had an 110amp solar panel also from new and that was fine shame we did not have enough battery for it to charge.
the McLouis steel 463 2008 model was a good motorhome and we have done 33000 in it in 2years with very little trouble (just a couple of habitation chargers at the beginning but I was led to believe a lot of makes of motorhomes was having the same problems bad batch manufactured).........I hope your van is as good as mine has been:thumb:

Mel:thumb:

(I really don’t understand why fiat don’t give you a spare and remove the bracket on Motor home,who in their right mind would go touring with a can of foam ?) COST AND WEIGHT....PAYLOAD

Last edited:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
my advise on TV aerial......dont bother.

if the money is available then go the satellite dish route but if funds are a bit tight then something like the 'through the roof' status type....avoid the staus 315 flying saucer type...other say they are good but i dont believe them and nevedr had any luck with mine.
plus all adjustments from indoors so no getting wet.

with an aerial you need to find the direction of the transmitter/booster then actually point the aerial directly at it, once you find out whether its of horizontal or vertical polarity.

then you need to retune the TV/digibox EVERY time you set it up.

sat dish.....point it at the satellite and switch tv/sat box on...already tuned.

takes a while to get used to pointing it in the right direction but it comes easy eventually.

solar panel.....wouldnt be without now i've used one.

last van had a 120w jobby with 3 x 110ah batteries and the current RV has a 170w panel tied to 4 x 120ah batteries.

spare wheel...definately, no amount of 'sealer' will fix a sidewall gash or blow-out.

I agree with John ....good advice..........that is if you have the money, and you do not have a weight problem..........Mel:thumb:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
My one blessing living in it is I found my hot water provides piping hot water for a 5 minute shower...and I mean 4 mins 59 seconds is wonderful but at 5 mins 1 second I am in freezing cold water.

When in our van and showering we do 'navy showers' run water wet oneself, turn off water and lather up, turn water on and rinse off, boiler has time to reheat replaced water in boiler intime for rinsing off

OP
OP
alcorn54

alcorn54

Free Member
Nov 21, 2010
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
completely the same problem here Alan with a new rv. After initial much welcomed help from nthe people on here I decided to live in it on the drive for some weeks off and on.
That sorted the wheat from the chaff....I had loaded this and that and not used anything I had loaded. However I did discover what I really needed and what I would use regularly.
Choices for TV. get a 240v and a 12v to 240 v converter thingy? or get a 240v and dont watch it if wild camping as most hook ups are 230 abroad or 240 here.
Or get a dual 12v/240v tele and have the choice of both useage...the only thing is limitation in size. as they only go up to about 22 inch.

So for a check list...
1. will you wild camp...answer no? move to answer 2 if yes..you need to find the 12v stuff you need....
2. no wild camping...problem solved get all 240 stuff....
3. second hand stuff....lots of unused gear out there especially in ebay.

My point is...hopefully not sound patronising or teaching granny to suck eggs...(does anyones granny suck eggs by the way?)

If you pretend live in it for a while all will be revealed.

Have fun pulling your hair out and ask away...
Luckily I found the american already fitted arieal works fine but im also looking at the sat market....fixed or portable....decisions decisions...
Your right about the tellys I, have fitted a 19" 12V in bedroom and a 240 Volt in living/eating area,plus I have an 350w invertor from my boating days so have the choice no matter where I am. Thats why I am fitting an extra 110amp battery Also both have HDMI conections so if I wana watch a good film if its tossing down I can watch a film or DVD,. Lap tops also 12V or 24V and I have free internet on me mobile ,so itll act like a dongle and I can sit and chat to you lot:thumb::thumb: Alan

OP
OP
alcorn54

alcorn54

Free Member
Nov 21, 2010
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp

When in our van and showering we do 'navy showers' run water wet oneself, turn off water and lather up, turn water on and rinse off, boiler has time to reheat replaced water in boiler intime for rinsing off
On my boat it had a 12V element in the water tank as well as a heater which worked off engine called a calorifier it circulated the water from cold tank round engine and back to the tank via a 12v water pump exactly the same as fitted on board a motorhome. . Wonder why it hasnt been adopted in motorhomes ,water was always piping hot.? the 12V eleiment only took the extra charge from panels or when engine was running it was bypassed when betteries where charging. It really was a good system ideal if you lived onboard full time which I didnt ,But if you were living in your motorhome full time it would be a great system to addopt as you could also run a radiator off it..

Last edited:

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Hi all

Thanks in advance

Alan

I had a spare wheel but decided that there was no way I would jack van up,go underneath,lower the spare and take it out of the cradle,change the wheel,put punctured wheel back in cradle,drive to repair centre etc-I decided that if I punctured I'd get 'recovery' out. So,I had tyres treated with Sure Seal and fitted 40ltr lpg tank where spare had been.

Sattelite TV came with van-but to watch it when not on ehu a 2nd battery was needed-solar panels could keep up with it during day,but at night 1hr would take battery down to 70%

Hope this helps.Mike

OP
OP
alcorn54

alcorn54

Free Member
Nov 21, 2010
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
I had a spare wheel but decided that there was no way I would jack van up,go underneath,lower the spare and take it out of the cradle,change the wheel,put punctured wheel back in cradle,drive to repair centre etc-I decided that if I punctured I'd get 'recovery' out.

Thanks for the reply your comments are much appreciated,::bigsmile:::bigsmile:But! I feel if you split the wall of the tyre ,your well and truly stuck even with sure seal. Without a spare recovery would have to remove your tyre then would have to find a garage ,and get it replaced ,if you could find one local or open if late or during the night wait till they opened . If you do have a spare wheel on board ,you can still call out recovery and they would have a spare to put on for you. :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back