Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Hi,
Camping out in this riduculous cold weather ( :ROFLMAO: ), do I need to switch my fridge on or not, if stuff inside just for a weekend??

Any ideas?

Ta very much, S

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Just for the weekend I would say "No",, and have done the same myself..

But for what gas or electric you would use ????

Spect others will say different.. :winky:

OP
OP
Theonlysue

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Not bothered while on hookup, but I have been told that the fridge uses a lot of gas and I would rather use it for the heating::bigsmile:

Seems odd when its 2 degrees outside, and my fridge is keeping food warm at 3 degrees :Doh:

S

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
To save your gas,, why not get one of the small (About 1ft square) polystyrene type cool boxes,,, they do keep food cool.. :thumb:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
The food hygiene experts would say that as long as your chilled food stays below 5deg c with it switched off then no problem, otherwise switch it on to maintain 5 deg or less

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
As long as the beers cold it doesnt matter.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Leave your food outside with the beer,, simples.. :winky:::bigsmile:

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
If you're only camping for a couple of days I would freeze some ice blocks before you go and put them in the fidge to keep it cold. Run fridge on 240 volt for a day or two before you leave home helps.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
When not switched on we always leave the fridge door ajar otherwise it develops mould.
Wyn

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Some interesting figures for you. When we lived on a yacht, before we bought a MH the boat we had used gas for cooking only, every things else was on electricity.

The cooker had 2 gas rings, a grill and a oven and was used on a daily basis, the bottle we used was campinggaz and was the largest of the gaz range, the 907. which is the 2.7Kg butane and lasted for 3 weeks give and take a day over a 4 year period.

Now I get to the point, when we moved to the MH using only cooking and fridge, as it was summer and no heating needed, we found that the gas consumption was exactly double that of the yacht.

So from this I calculate that a fridge on butane will use 2.7Kg per 3 weeks.

Doug...

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
From Dometic

80lt fridge uses 270g per 24 hrs = 1.89kg per week

30lt fridge uses 170g per 24hrs = 1.19kg per week

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
The food hygiene experts would say that as long as your chilled food stays below 5deg c with it switched off then no problem, otherwise switch it on to maintain 5 deg or less

Surely that's what a thermostat does, why do it manually? With the thermostat set it wont come on unless it exceeds 5deg so no gas is used. :Doh:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
From Dometic

80lt fridge uses 270g per 24 hrs = 1.89kg per week

30lt fridge uses 170g per 24hrs = 1.19kg per week

Thanks for that Jim, but is that not the manufactures best theoretical figures.

Doug...

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Surely that's what a thermostat does, why do it manually? With the thermostat set it wont come on unless it exceeds 5deg so no gas is used. :Doh:
I was under the impresion that when on gas there is no thermostatic control.I thought that the thermostat only worked on electric.Can anyone enlighten me on this.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi when the burner is lit ( some people refer to it as the pilot light :ROFLMAO:) it is running and does not get bigger or smaller so it is going to use the same amount of gas regardless of how warm or cold :thumb::winky: Not sure if it would use as much as Jim's figures say because 4 ltrs of gas per week seems a lot :Smile: but hey some boffin will have worked it out, so it could well be correct :thumb: ( not doubting you Jim :thumb: )
As to running the fridge I would say yes :thumb: after all it may be freezing out side but how warm is it in the van ?
terry

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Ive got to ask...are you actually being serious or is this thread a joke?? :ROFLMAO:

Are you really that bothered about how much gas your fridge is going to use in 2 days :Eeek:

If money is that tight how on earth do you put fuel in the motorhome :Doh:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Ive got to ask...are you actually being serious or is this thread a joke?? :ROFLMAO:

Are you really that bothered about how much gas your fridge is going to use in 2 days :Eeek:

If money is that tight how on earth do you put fuel in the motorhome :Doh:

NOW NOW, Dazzer:ROFLMAO: Sue may be on a limited gas supply hence the -would rather save the gas for heating - Personally I would rather keep the food in the fridge cool than chance getting food poisoning :ROFLMAO::winky:
terry

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
If a fridge is good at keeping food cold it must be well insulated. Hence it may keep food quite warm when it is cold outside so there is no direct link between the two.

Providing the fridge is reasonably well filled with frozen or very cold food it should remain cold enough for a weekend.

However if only a small amount of cold food is placed in the fridge it will not keep cold for the same length of time.

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
Glad this query has been posted - having a compressor fridge (van only has a Campingaz 907 bottle, which as explained elsewhere wouldn't last too long running a 3-way fridge) it tends to run the battery down quite quickly, so switching it off when possible is something I consider from time to time.

In fact, I have occasionally switched it off during a cold night when not on EHU, but only when there's been nothing critical in it, e.g. carton of milk, lump of cheese, etc. and no meat in the freezer section. It's usually still cool the following morning, but not cold.

At Malvern I was talking to a bloke with a Honda minivan, and whenever he sets off for a few days he cools the fridge at home with 240V and then puts a frozen loaf of bread in it (switched off at the start of the trip) and uses this to keep the contents cooled as it slowly defrosts during the first day. Haven't tried this myself yet.

OP
OP
Theonlysue

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Hi, yes, it was a serious question, more for curiousty really.
I have a large 80 lit fridge, and just wondered if it was worth putting it on for the small amout of food that I would put in the fridge when camping for the weekend.
I would not risk getting a dodgy tummy for the sake of putting it on :ROFLMAO:

But it just seemed a bit ironic when the outside temp is cooler
than the fridge:Doh:

I dont begrudge using the gas, and the van will be lovely and warm, but I just wondered.....:Blush:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
I was under the impresion that when on gas there is no thermostatic control.I thought that the thermostat only worked on electric.Can anyone enlighten me on this.

No, that's not so.
When on gas, once fridge has reached it's cold point the burner switches off. You can check this by touching the burner chamber (if you want to). When the temp. rises inside the fridge the thermostat reacts by re-lighting the burner. This can be heard from inside the van as firstly the auto-igniter clicks and then you can hear the burner ignite. So gas is only is used during the cooling down period.

I often hear this process go on at night when it's quiet.

Sue has a larger fridge so if you open the door to put food in most of the cool air will drop out, so the inside will be at air temp. As a fridge is well insulated it will keep the food at that temp.

I put my beers in the gas locker next to the gas bottles as the locker stays cool when using gas. :thumb:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
No, that's not so.
When on gas, once fridge has reached it's cold point the burner switches off. You can check this by touching the burner chamber (if you want to). When the temp. rises inside the fridge the thermostat reacts by re-lighting the burner. This can be heard from inside the van as firstly the auto-igniter clicks and then you can hear the burner ignite. So gas is only is used during the cooling down period.

I often hear this process go on at night when it's quiet.

Sue has a larger fridge so if you open the door to put food in most of the cool air will drop out, so the inside will be at air temp. As a fridge is well insulated it will keep the food at that temp.

I put my beers in the gas locker next to the gas bottles as the locker stays cool when using gas. :thumb:

How do you explain this theory with a manual fridge where the user lights it ???? Do you think I get up in the middle of the night to light it???

Doug...

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
How do you explain this theory with a manual fridge where the user lights it ???? Do you think I get up in the middle of the night to light it???

Doug...

Correct.. Manual fridges don't have thermostats. When using gas, you set the temp. using the dial which regulates the gas.. end of story ..

Auto fridges have a thermostat which switches the gas on and off as required. Ignition is provided by an ignitor board.. not a pilot light.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp

Doug...

This isn't theory Doug this is what happens to my fridge. I do not have to light it, it's all automatic, simply select gas & you hear the igniter click-click-click-click then a soft woomp as the burner lights (providing you have the gas turned on :Doh: as I have forgotten to do before):Doh:. See previous post from Jim.

Clearly yours is not automatic if you have to get up in the middle of the night to light it. :ROFLMAO:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
If you want to save a bit of gas ,
( how much would you save on a weekend BTW ?)
why not put your food in the gas locker outside.
That would be cold this time of year. We use ours MH most weekends but as theres 5 of us the fridge is always quite full.
I suppose if theres only 2 of you you could use a normal cool box.
But i must admit I'm with Dazzer on this one:winky:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i would say on.

for what gas it will use it aint worth the risk of contamination.

if it hasnt been used for a while the inside of the fridge will be the same temp as the inside of the van and putting a bit of chilled food isnt going to decrease it that much.

plus...every time you open the door you let cooler air out and warmer air in...increasing the temp even further.

it should be maintained at 5 degrees or less

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back