sticking with old faithfull (1 Viewer)

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
After lots of deliberation, looking at 100's of vans, spending hours on computer we have decided to stick with our 1993 Hymer for the time being rather than upgrade to a newer van. We cannot find a newer van that has all the features we like and have at the moment. One of the main things we want is a garage but it seems we have to give up a lot of space for one of these.
So as the van is sound mechanically we have decided to do a few minor repairs and have just ordered a new skylight (£350), use the van for at least another year!
Unless we find a real bargain that is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumb::thumb::thumb:

bob and jules

Free Member
May 27, 2009
Goosnargh Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Feb 2009
Sticking with Old Faithful

''Sticking with Old Faithful'' ...... just looked acrosss at Mrs F and thought exactly the same thing!!. Sometimes a baggy jumper you know is better than a crisp shirt you dont.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
''Sticking with Old Faithful'' ...... just looked acrosss at Mrs F and thought exactly the same thing!!. Sometimes a baggy jumper you know is better than a crisp shirt you dont.

Couldnt have put it better but your looking for a slap from Mrs F :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Peter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
After lots of deliberation, looking at 100's of vans, spending hours on computer we have decided to stick with our 1993 Hymer for the time being rather than upgrade to a newer van. We cannot find a newer van that has all the features we like and have at the moment. One of the main things we want is a garage but it seems we have to give up a lot of space for one of these.
So as the van is sound mechanically we have decided to do a few minor repairs and have just ordered a new skylight (£350), use the van for at least another year!
Unless we find a real bargain that is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumb::thumb::thumb:

A wise decision, I think your old Hymer will still going after a modern van has been scrapped.

I only wish I had the sense to buy one when I had the money instead of the heap of rubbish that I have now.

Doug...

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
aaawwww

So why not bring "old faithful to the Essex Meet next weekend its only cheap - vegetarians welcome - its not just a "hog roast"

You will have fun so come join us xxxxx

clarify

Free Member
Jul 19, 2009
Funster No
would love to be able to buy an old hymer but living inside lez zone causes a bit of a problem .So have to spend a few more pennies Im afraid
Ray

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Totally agree we've recently bought a 9 year old hymer after owning virtually new vans for the past few years but getting less impressed with the quality. So after spending ages looking around we decided to go for an older van and so far we're over the moon with the quality, we found a really nice hymer loaded with all the extras low mileage and bargain price compared to newish vans. Ours does have a garage which is great because now we're totally self contained as our Kawasaki 650 fits in the garage and we still have plenty of payload left.:thumb:

OP
OP
jaygee
Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
aaawwww

So why not bring "old faithful to the Essex Meet next weekend its only cheap - vegetarians welcome - its not just a "hog roast"

You will have fun so come join us xxxxx
We did think about it but unfortunetly I have my arm in plaster at the moment and it's not too good so will have to give it a miss!

Hycon

Free Member
Oct 6, 2008
N.E Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
just starting
Jaygee
I have come to the same conclusion. My 16yr old Hymer 954 goes well, all works and it would cost at least £10000 to upgrade to a slightly newer van. The only gain would be newer style interior and untested motor and chassis which may need attention.Stick with the devil you know .
Sid

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
would love to be able to buy an old hymer but living inside lez zone causes a bit of a problem .So have to spend a few more pennies Im afraid
Ray
My 1992 Ducato based Hymer was Lez compliant as it stood,in fact that swung the deal for the chap who bought it.

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
Our van is almost 3 years old, coming up for 1st MoT. We started to think about possibly changing, prompted by the VAT increase - also we have a garage with a bed on top, works well but it would be nice to have a layout that didn't invlove her indoors climbing over me for the loo in the middle of the night!

Looked around a bit and have been staggered at how much they have gone up in the last 3 years. Perhaps to do with the value of the pound. Also, at least as far as pilote is concerned several things previously standard are now extras. They wanted £940 for a spare wheel! They also wanted £90 for the bits of plastic that cover the fridge vents in the winter!

So I think we will also stick with what we have. There's nothing major wrong with it, and all vans are a compromise one way or another.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back