NEW MOT - Creeks, Paddles & Motorhomes (1 Viewer)

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
DFT have announced a 'new' MOT to tighten up on the current one. This has been brought about by pressure from some guy in europe that farms sprouts or something.

The Bad News;

Right, little EXTRA FAILURE points.

Remapped/Chipped engines
Airbag/Dash/Engine warning lights
ESP/ABS/Traction Systems
Vehicle Wiring Harnesses/connections
Headlight Adjusters
HID/LED bulb conversions/kits
(there are more)

The Good News

The are still working out how to add it to the test!:thumb:

Here is a link to a newsletter that mentions some of it.Link Removed

OP
OP
rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
It's been covered, and well pinch of salt

Loddy

Good! I was beginning to think we were living in a communist country. Lets' just hope they do not bring this type of restriction in as it is nuts!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
are they so silly I wonder?

DFT have announced a 'new' MOT to tighten up on the current one. This has been brought about by pressure from some guy in europe that farms sprouts or something.

The Bad News;

Remapped/Chipped engines
ESP/ABS/Traction Systems
Headlight Adjusters
(there are more)

The Good News

Example.. if you re map a Smart car that has a speedo saying 84 mph and re mapped it can do over 100 then do you know what speed you are really doing?

If the makers wanted it to go faster would they not have designed it that way?

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
are they so silly I wonder?

The Bad News;

Remapped/Chipped engines
ESP/ABS/Traction Systems
Headlight Adjusters
(there are more)

The Good News

Example.. if you re map a Smart car that has a speedo saying 84 mph and re mapped it can do over 100 then do you know what speed you are really doing?

So what is wrong with the issue of having to fix a problem shown up by a warning light? do you drive if the oil light is on? so what is the differance if the air bag light is on saying there is a fault? saftey I would have thought was a good thing and anything that indicates an issue is worth having.

I would have thought the silly add on bright lights being removed would be a good thing? adjusters again a good thing if your lights are to high due to load. I have them on my Hyundai as standard... I am sure they are on other cars as well? My American RV has rear air bags so I ride at the correct height regardless of load. But I would not want to blind other road users..so that is sensible to me.

Wiring harness.. well that speaks for it's self.. who wnats to risk a fire in the car or RV? so if it is checked and is found wanting then I again think that is good.

Still a lot of bad cars on the road these days and anything that makes the road safe and removes the junk then I am for it, regardless if it comes from the UK or the EEC regulations.

Bob:Eeek:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
What makes you think the MoTtest has anything to do with road safety
It most definatly has NOT
it is no more than a set of rules you have to comply with on one specific dayeach year:RollEyes:
Vosa have removed from the test some safty critical items recently
Brake disc condtition for an instance you would fail for corrosion or pitting Now the discs it would seem only have to be present:Eeek:
As for all this new crap, what happened to the two yearly test to fall in line with the Euro tripe
Geo

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years

So what is wrong with the issue of having to fix a problem shown up by a warning light? do you drive if the oil light is on? so what is the differance if the air bag light is on saying there is a fault? saftey I would have thought was a good thing and anything that indicates an issue is worth having.

I would have thought the silly add on bright lights being removed would be a good thing? adjusters again a good thing if your lights are to high due to load. I have them on my Hyundai as standard... I am sure they are on other cars as well? My American RV has rear air bags so I ride at the correct height regardless of load. But I would not want to blind other road users..so that is sensible to me.

Wiring harness.. well that speaks for it's self.. who wnats to risk a fire in the car or RV? so if it is checked and is found wanting then I again think that is good.

Still a lot of bad cars on the road these days and anything that makes the road safe and removes the junk then I am for it, regardless if it comes from the UK or the EEC regulations.

Bob:Eeek:

The dashboard warning light thing.....my van dashboard lights up like a Christmas tree, looking at the lights ive got a problem with my airbag, my alarm, my cold start system, the engine maintenance light is also on....its been that way for the last 3 years or 150k miles including the really bad winter we had last year. The lights have a mind of their own and come on and off at will, ive had them reset but within a week it all starts again so i now ignore them, if the mot is going to fail the van because of a warning light on the dash i will simple remove the bulb or paint over them with black nail polish. :winky:

Just another bunch of over paid eurocrats justifiing their large salary and bonus schemes sitting behind a desk and not living in the real world.:Angry:

The quicker we get out of Europe the better...never going to happen but we can live in hope!!:ROFLMAO:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
The MOT Test was introduced well before we joined Europe and all in all its been a good thing.

The state of some of the vehicles on the road prior to the introduction of the MOT Test was appalling and woudnt stand up to the rigours of modern day motoring.

I do have a feel good factor after my car/mh has been MOT'd and passed.

If something is a bit iffy on the vehicle I will recieve an advisory and so will be aware of things that will need attention.

Yes its certified as being ok on that one day, however, the likelehood of any major faliure on any major componant that would put my life in danger is greatly reduced. I would hate to see the MOT Test watered down as I'm sure there would be a large increase in accidents, injuries and fatalities.

Jim
:Smile:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Hah! - my old Xsara failed its MOT 2 years ago because the ABS light did not light up for the statutory number of milliseconds when you turned the ignition on - so that's not new for starters!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
many countries dont have an MOT system as such, South Africa being one.

buy a vehicle there and it must have a roadworthy certificate, you cant sell without one....keep that vehicle for 20 years then sell it, you must have a new roadworthy test, and that may only be its second test in 20 years.
buy a car new and keep it for 20 years then scrap it and it may never have a test.

i've seen some of the vehicles there, one was a VW golf with the roof and pillars removed with a grinder and the door/rear window pillar 'stumps' welded over (badly).

all this in spite of the fact in a fatal accident the owner will be prosecuted seperately for EVERY defect found as well as causing a death.

would you want that in this country.

the MOT is a pain in the neck but its there for a reason...and a very good reason at that.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
It started out as a good idea and has gone down hill fast each year brings new ideas and new rules
I can in all honesty issue an MoT pass certificate and then tell you to get it recovered home because in my opinion its not structurally/mechanically safe to drive:Doh:
Can you see the sense in that
My Favourite examples
1. a 10mm chip in your screen gets you a pass and advise 11mm gets you a fail
So I fail you for a 11mm chip
You go away have a new screen fitted and the car prepared for a trip through the Sahara desert and come back for a re test with 6 jerry cans of fuel and 4 spare wheels bolted to your bonnet you cant see a foot in front but you now get a pass:Doh::thumb:
2.You bring in your land-rover or other full old fashioned full chassis vehicle the only chassis present is about 13 inches each side of the 4 spring mounts. all the middle chassis is corroded and missing and you have tapped up your fuel and brake lines to stop em dragging on the floor
pass or fail
have a guess:RollEyes:

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
Rainbow warrior kicked this thread off with a refernce to a website which may or may not be 'official'.

The only reference to chipping, (of engines, not windscreens) is to "Illegal chipping". A change from the computer kit fitted by the manufacturer may or may not not be illegal - I have not checked. However, if I have my van chipped and do not tell my insurance company, my insurance is void. So, if I've actually driven to the MOT station, it's fair to say the vehicle is illegally on the road. (It's a bit different if the vehicle was trailered there, of course)

My own insurance company has said that neither cruise control, not chipping "to improve fuel consumption" would cause a rise in premium, and I did not need to point out that, since both are meant to keep down my greenhouse gases, or rather the vehicle's, an both are also intended to keep me fresher whil driving, the company would not look clever if they penalised steps to keep me, and the world, safe.

Mind you, iIm firmly not green, but I'm not daft enought to say so....

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )

They did.. it was called a Brabus.. pretty much the same car with different cam, turbo, SPEEDO and map ! :thumb: ( been there ( three times ) and done that !! )

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back