IanH

Free Member
Apr 6, 2008
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
I wanted to hook up a propane bottle to the exsiting regulator but finding it hard to get a pigtail made long enough ,high presure with a USA thread one end and a propane bottle fitting the other .

My next option is to use a standard regulator at the bottle and connect into the low pressure pipe.

The regulator is a 37mbar so will this be ok to supply the 5th wheel ,gas cooker ,blown hot air heating hot water heater and fridge, dont think they would all be working at once though.

I have had a good look on the american regulator but cannot see any info on it at all

Ian

Ant&Debs

Free Member
Jun 24, 2009
Alvorge,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Rockwood Fiver
Exp
2 years long time ago
I wanted to hook up a propane bottle to the exsiting regulator but finding it hard to get a pigtail made long enough ,high presure with a USA thread one end and a propane bottle fitting the other .

My next option is to use a standard regulator at the bottle and connect into the low pressure pipe.

The regulator is a 37mbar so will this be ok to supply the 5th wheel ,gas cooker ,blown hot air heating hot water heater and fridge, dont think they would all be working at once though.

I have had a good look on the american regulator but cannot see any info on it at all

Ian

Hi Ian we had the same issue. I brought a propane pigtail and took that and the USA regulator to Pirtek in Ashford Kent (they have places around uk) they changed the egulator end cost Appx £20. But you do have to sign a disclaimer.

Ant & Debs

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
hi no doubt someone will be able to give details on the american gas set up.
but on my oven in my van and in the fridge there are labels that give recommended gas type and pressure. there may be some info there as to what your standard regulator pressure should be.

andy :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
IanH

IanH

Free Member
Apr 6, 2008
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
Hi Ant & Debs
thats what i spent all morning doing ,going between the local caravan dealers and the hydraulic hose company we use for work but i got nowhere in the end , they did say the local BOC shop may be able to help so try them in the morning

Ian

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
firstly Ian, your american regulator will probably be set at 11" of water column which equates to 27 millibar (near as damn it)

standard uk propane reg at 37mb will let a higher pressure through but the appliance jets are the same as they were...suited to 27mb so it shouldnt be a problem, maybe a slightly higher flame.

i recently fitted an exterior BBQ point on the RV, on the low pressure side of the onboard reg, for my cadac.

the major advantage with this is i can fit a uk reg to calor bottle and plug into the BBQ point, in effect giving me a version of an extenda-stay system if i run out of onboard gas.

simply turn off the bulk tank main tap and turn on the bottle.

biggest problem is finding a TEE fitting with 5/16th x 5/16 x 8mm ends plus the low pressure pipe may be solid copper covered in rubber so you'll need compression joint fittings.....i was lucky, mine is all rubber up to where it enters the hab area.

i havent had chance to use the BBQ yet but Jim has the same setup on his Georgie-boy and it works well.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Hi Ian
The US regulator would be a two stage one---------but our old 5er had a UK propane reg. and worked really well on propane.
On our new one and the truck-camper we use the refillable US cylinders-------works OK for us !!
Nigel
BTW did you get your 3500 registered at it's US G.V.W. ??

OP
OP
IanH

IanH

Free Member
Apr 6, 2008
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
Hi Nigel
We still have the 2 american refillables but where do you get yours filled, also we are planning to stay in the 5er jan & feb so thought a big propane cylinder a better option while parked up for a couple of months.

As for the truck i had to downgrade it to 3500kg gvw to get it sva'd there was no provision to get it registered at its full american gvw,i have kept its full gross train weight they just checked i had electric braking for the trailer

Ian

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Hi Nigel
We still have the 2 american refillables but where do you get yours filled, also we are planning to stay in the 5er jan & feb so thought a big propane cylinder a better option while parked up for a couple of months.

As for the truck i had to downgrade it to 3500kg gvw to get it sva'd there was no provision to get it registered at its full american gvw,i have kept its full gross train weight they just checked i had electric braking for the trailer

Ian
Hi Ian
We fill our cylinders at garages with an adapter we bought from ABP-----they can't be overfilled because of the float valve they have inside. If they have never been filled---put the adapter on and release any pressure inside the cylinder--this could be air or nitrogen.
Nigel

OP
OP
IanH

IanH

Free Member
Apr 6, 2008
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
Caravan dealer has truma 30mbar regulator but still couldn't get pipe fittings to fit usa side .

So talking to my brother in law he gave me details of gas fitter he uses for his catering trailers .

Wow what a place ,one of those old time fitters with stuff everywhere.
Knocked me up a high pressure hose with the correct fittings in 15 mins,so now i can use the USA regulator .

Off to get said propane bottle now and test run the system dreckly :thumb:

OP
OP
IanH

IanH

Free Member
Apr 6, 2008
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
Luck must be on my side

Turned on the gas and every gas item fired up first time ,not bad for being stored 18 months

Complete with newly installed transformer its nice to get some heat inside the 5er

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back