Free Member
May 27, 2010
North wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2010
Hello again everyone another question from a relative newbie (1st winter) its pretty chilly for passengers in the cabin of our mh whilst were on the road, is there anything we could plug in to cig lighter to take of the chill (whilst on road) appreciate any info

Thx Gail

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Our kids travelled for years freezing in the back, while we were toasty in the cab. We did try a a small heater on an inverter but it was not as effective as a travel blanket.

OP
OP
G

gail

Free Member
May 27, 2010
North wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2010
Thx Jim I thought as much! ::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Our 3 year old Pug boxer has louvred vents in the edges of the doors ( below where the the locks are )
For winter I put a piece of duct tape over them !! Cabin temperature goes up dramatically !!

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
The cab heater keeps all the front and back warm on ours :thumb:If it got cold then the rear heater would be used :thumb:
terry

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Must be honest.. Our cab heater is barely able to keep us warm in the front whilst travelling, else I would proly have split off it and ducted warm air into the habitation area.. So what sort of heater do you use in the back Terry ??

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi John,the cab heater in the Iveco is very good :thumb:In the rear I have a
Trumatic E2400 LP Gas Heater
terry

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
And that is ok whilst travelling ? I would have thought the wind on the flue might cause issues ?

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
And that is ok whilst travelling ? I would have thought the wind on the flue might cause issues ?

No idea John :ROFLMAO: I am 99 % sure it is OK to use on the move :thumb: and I have had it on whilst moving by accident same as the fridge :ROFLMAO: Realise after an hour or so :ROFLMAO::winky: The brain on it shuts it down if it senses anything wrong :thumb:I will find the instruction book out next time I am in the van if you need to know for sure :ROFLMAO: it was 4 years since I read it so I may need a refresher read on it :thumb: The flues come out under the van,both intake and out
terry

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp

Hi John, you should have on of these fitted:

http://www.trumauk.com/products-gas...art=0&jsearch=&jorder=&jprod=&jseries=&jname=

Our van has the regulator but at the moment not the hoses,:Doh: we have the Trumatic E 2400 fitted in the front and the flue on the side with both Truma heaters but never use it on the move because we have a heat exchanger that works from the engine on the move.:thumb:

I never turn my gas bottles OFF, but without the truma Secumotion regulator and hoses fitted you should.
::bigsmile:

I think the best thing to fit in a van if your cold is a :Smile: EBERSPACHER DIESEL NIGHT HEATER :thumb: often left them On in the truck. ::bigsmile: Bob.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We have Webasto diesel heating. It was fitted as standard on ours but you can get one fitted as an extra.
http://motorhome.webasto.co.uk/fileadmin/user_upload/en_INT/DS_RV_AirTop_E.pdf

The whole motorhome is warm when driving . Warm air being blown through the air vents throughout the MH.
Its great . Everyones toasty warm. Too warm sometimes , even on the lowest setting.

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
HI Gail,

Hang an old curtain or blanket behind the drivers and passenger seats this blocks off the hab side, so you are heating up a much smaller space.:thumb:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Hi John, you should have on of these fitted:

http://www.trumauk.com/products-gas...art=0&jsearch=&jorder=&jprod=&jseries=&jname=

Our van has the regulator but at the moment not the hoses,:Doh: we have the Trumatic E 2400 fitted in the front and the flue on the side with both Truma heaters but never use it on the move because we have a heat exchanger that works from the engine on the move.:thumb:

Bob.

Yup, that is exactly what we have as standard Bob :thumb:

I believed it would not be advisable to run the heater whilst travelling ( as that was the original query ) so was a bit surprised when Terry suggested it, hence my question :Smile:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
As said John I am 99 % sure the destructions say it can be used while travelling :thumb:
and for sure I have used it when I forgot to turn it off before driving off :ROFLMAO: without problem.
I also said that the front cab heater kept everything warm as well :thumb: but then again the insulation in our van is probably better than any other :thumb:
1.5 mm ali bonded to 4/5 mm ply bonded to 45mm Styrofoam bonded to 1.5 mm ali then 3 mm ply :thumb: with the floor having another 4 /5 mm ply added and about 35 mm of under sealed spongy stuff from the front axle to the back :winky: OH nearly forgot there is also another 1 .5 mm of ali on the roof :thumb:
terry
Edit, not knowing what heater Gail has in her van she may be better using Jim's method of a fleece or doing homework to see if her heater can be used while on the move.

OP
OP
G

gail

Free Member
May 27, 2010
North wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2010
cabin heat again

Called in this eve just to see if there was any new news on habitation heat, we have gas heating, and everyone you speak to ill-advises motoring with gas on. Mmmmmmmmmm got to make more enquiries on this one. I do know someone else who motors with gas on but me not sure!!!!

Thx anyway everyone for all your input. gail

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
You may find that the pillars coming up from the cab floor where the upper seat belt is bolted to are open ended underneath the van allowing cold air in, block them up and any vents in the cab doors.

Peter

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi Gail, sorry don't know much about your van, but if it has a Secumotion Regulator ( it has a green button on it that you have to push in when you turn your gas bottle ON before it works ) and the Truma hoses with the valves on them you can use your heating on the move. Bob.

See link.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Gail
We use our van over the winter and even with a good cab heater it can get a bit cold in the back so before we leave we have the heating on in van overnight gas or elec to take the chill off it and Sophie will sit with a blanket and sometimes even have a hot water bottle. I havr travelled once with gas on but wasnt to sure (didn't know about motion reg) last new year we drove over 60 miles and it was about -5 and van was still nice and cosy.

Gerry

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
not sure if I've understood

When you are driving in the cab the heater is doing its best to heat the cab and the habitation area. We have provision to put a curtain across so the heat stays in the cab area. That way you get all of the available heat without any of it being wasted warming unused space.

But maybe you are wanting to heat the back more, not the front.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back