Which new tomtom? (1 Viewer)

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
As per my other thread about tomtom maps, I am now considering about buying a new tomtom.

There seems to be so many to choose from :RollEyes:

I want the cheapest tomtom with the Western Europe maps that will allow me to add all my poi files (speed cameras, kfc, asda fuel, lpg etc...)

I seem to remember that not all of the new tomtom's allow poi's so I wondered if anyone could shed any light on which is the cheapest that will do what I want.

TIA

Bryan

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
Good morning Bryan!:Smile:

we've got the TomTom XL something or other! Not sure of the exact model! Bought it last summer.
It's great for Europe and we've got POI's on it - French Aires, McDonalds etc!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Well you know my experience with the Go 1000 Live..

If you want to use it in conjunction with POI's do not go there !

I think, for the time being, I would stick with the XL

No doubt they will eventually sort out the Go series so might be worth hanging fire until they do ?

OP
OP
Bryan

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
Good morning Bryan!:Smile:

we've got the TomTom XL something or other! Not sure of the exact model! Bought it last summer.
It's great for Europe and we've got POI's on it - French Aires, McDonalds etc!!

I know you've probably left in in the west wing but is there any chance you could pop over to it and get it's model number? :ROFLMAO:

There seems to be a few variations :Doh:

::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I know you've probably left in in the west wing but is there any chance you could pop over to it and get it's model number? :ROFLMAO:

they still sell the basic model, TT One XL Europe., V1 .. Amazon ÂŁ124.99

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/TomTom-ONE-Satellite-Navigation-System/dp/B000PS68ZS"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/TomTom-ONE-Satellite-Navigation-System/dp/B000PS68ZS[/ame]

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999

It's actually in the annex - the hire car! I've sent the boy out to get it! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OK here goes - It says TomTom XL N14644 on the bottom - does that help?? :Smile:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
:ROFLMAO: Cannot resist get a Garmin :ROFLMAO: If the TT is the same as garmin( last yr )they will all use the same processor :thumb:Buy the cheapest you can find with euro maps which you will have to update for the latest maps free for about 3 mths
terry

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Buy a cheap Garmin Nuvi Bry 10 times better than TomTom bought mine 4 years ago used it all over the world even use it on the m/bike brilliant bit of kit and I'm a satnav hater. Got so fed up with my TomTom I chucked it in the bin.::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Bryan

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
Thanks for all the replies.

I've ordered a go 750.

Fancied the XXL or the XL but there appears to be a version 2 of the xl which is not as good as is is cut down. The version 1 therefore is older and won't have the latest map and may not be eligible for the latest map guarantee.

Anyway, the go 750 has voice control so I'll finally be able to shout at my satnav and be listened too :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I await the imminent arrival of Jaws' discarded Tom Tom with excitement. It is being delivered by my personal couriers Mick and Julie.

I know we all have our favourites and tend to defend our choices strongly but Forestboy's statement that his Garmin is "ten times" better than a Tom Tom interested me.

Does this mean there are ten things a Garmin can do that a Tom Tom can't?

Does it mean it can do the same things a Tom Tom can but ten times better... ie ten times faster, ten times more POIs included, it's system of (free) user updates and road correction ten times more comprehensive, it's real time, audible, road conditions on route warnings (snow, traffic, roadworks) ten times louder etc etc?

or...

...does it mean that over the years that you have worked with your Garmin you have learned how to use it and it's features and when you tried a Tom Tom and found it wasn't the same, you gave up?

I have been led to beilieve that the core of a sat nav isn't the hardware but the software and, after considerable research, and years and years of sat nav use with many, many different models of Tom Toms I am of the belief that the mapping that the largest sat nav company in the world uses is at least as good, if not better, than any rival.

Ok, we all put in our own POIs but, on my Tom Tom, there are simply thousands and thousands of POI's hotels, restaurants, shops etc all preloaded and I guess (only guess mind you) that these are paid for by the business owners. If I had a restaurant, hotel, shop etc and wanted to include it in a sat nav's poi list, I would put it in the largest company's data base first... :restmycase:

TOM TOM ROOLS OK? :thumb:

JJ

PS. So Bryan, my respected, almighty (joint) Leader, IMHO you have made the right choice.
:notworthy: :notworthy:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bryan

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
We've had a tom tom one (a couple over the years) and when we went to France a couple of years ago I bought the latest map.

As we hope to travel again soon I wanted to get the latest map again but at ÂŁ50 I thought I'd look at buying a new unit. My current one does not hold a charge and my initial investigations threw up some good deals at ÂŁ99. This was for a re-furbished unit and It would not have the latest map. Also delivery time was important as I want it NOW!:ROFLMAO:

The latest map, IQ routes, Lane guidance, Voice control, live services for a year all swayed me to the go 750.

It'll be here tomorrow ::bigsmile:

Bryan

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Also delivery time was important as I want it NOW!:ROFLMAO:

The latest map, IQ routes, Lane guidance, Voice control, live services for a year all swayed me to the go 750.

It'll be here tomorrow ::bigsmile:

Bryan

...as I always strongly suspected you are indeed and wise, intelligent man able to make the right decisions based on solid research...

JJ:winky:

PS. any chance of getting a couple more of those extremely well priced solar panels next year Boss?

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
Bryan,

Now,

If I was you:winky:

I would buy the Tom Tom app for iphone if you have one.

I have had it for about a year now and had 3 upgrades from itunes store.

Using it you can navigate to:

Home
Favourites
Address
Recent destinations
Google local search
Point of interest
Contact
Photo Navigates to wherever you have taken your photo's
Postcode
Point on Map or
Co-ordinates

Great bit of software and you update from the app store for free.

You know it makes sense

Available now at the Itunes app store.

Lesley

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
Oh Forgot

and you take it with you wherever you go as it is your phone as well.::bigsmile::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
TOM TOM ROOLS OK?
not in my book :ROFLMAO:

Well I be blowed I always thought Garmin were the largest :ROFLMAO: and with the best mapping :thumb: What do I know :ROFLMAO:I have had a few sat navs inc a couple of TT but I still like the garmin best, although the TT give you your speed on the map screen which I liked.Unfortunately the TT tells me to turn rt in 100 yds then screams to turn around after 15 yds as I have passed the turning :Doh: never happens with the garmin :thumb: Yes there is an element of having the garmin first but I have never been freaky about learning how to use it properly :ROFLMAO: just learn enough to get me from A to B :thumb:
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back