Help....blurry uploaded pictures (1 Viewer)

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
Now, I'm not denying that my focus isn't always great, but nearly all of the pictures I'm uploading to the MHFun album section are going soft focus. Any worse and I'd think it was an episode of "Murder She Wrote". :Sad:

For example...here's a pictures of mine on the MHFun site:

Link Removed

and here is the same JPEG source picture uploaded directly to my MobileMe site:

Link Removed

The second one is sharper, isn't it? I took the original RAW file and shrunk it to 800x533 because album pictures cannot be more than 800 pixels wide/high. It looks like the MHFun upload has still been processed and re-JPEG'd.

Any suggestions? Other people's photos look nice and sharp :cry:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
every time you resave a jpeg picture, it degrades, it has to lose some detail in order to make the file smaller, thats how jpeg format produces small files. You can (in some programs) reduce the reduction to zero thus preventing degredation.

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Tis my belief that mine look softer too. My focusing ain't too good neither as I wear varifocals and no one I ask including my optician can tell me with certainty which part of my glasses to use for a camera viewfinder. I therefore rely on the autofocus on my camera which even on a Nikon is not 100%. on difficult subjects like a bird in a tree.:cry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I think our system saves three sizes of each picture, a large , medium and thumbnail, I will look into it. it will be interesting to see if the same loss occurs with a tiff? jpeg uses lossy compression so every save and it will degrade.

OP
OP
1_man_and_his_dob(lo)
Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
every time you resave a jpeg picture, it degrades, it has to lose some detail in order to make the file smaller, thats how jpeg format produces small files.

Yes, which is why I thought the upload to MHFun might have introduced another JPEG conversion, even though I don't think it needs it. There should only be one conversion - the one I did from RAW -> JPEG.

I think our system saves three sizes of each picture, a large , medium and thumbnail, I will look into it. it will be interesting to see if the same loss occurs with a tiff? jpeg uses lossy compression so every save and it will degrade.

I tried PNG, but it uploaded as a PNG and I'm not sure what the state of play if for PNG images on Windows nowadays - it used to be flakey (I'm on a Mac).
Can I upload TIFF files - are they converted to JPEG?

Oh, dear God!

What have I said? You're not suggesting I'm being picky are you :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
1_man_and_his_dob(lo)
Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
I should have thought of this before - is it a size thing?

The JPEG in the album is 61K; the uploaded JPEG was a considerably bigger 560K. Oops.

Could the forum software be checking file size and applying an extra compression stage if it's above a certain amount, rather than just refusing to upload?

I'll try reducing the file size and uploading again...

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Both Pics look the same to me :Eeek:

I cant even get mine into an album yet :RollEyes:

Jim