Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
finally have the correct leads. 1st battery to test is a deep discharge Leisure battery that up until now has only charged to 12.5V, (other batteries charged to 13.8V using the same charger).
1) Elecosol 110 amp/hr battery on charge at 10.30am will leave 24 hours.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Roger should that be CTEC XS7000 ????????????????
terry

harryoxford2

Free Member
Sep 14, 2010
Bishops Stortford Herts
Funster No
MH
B
Exp
2010 and camper all my life
I have run out of batteries to desulphate and run the various routines on.

I love my 7000.

I purchased an extra set of leads, so have 2 lazy man connectors and 1 crocodile set.
The lazy man connectors are hardwired to the two vehicle batteries, lesisure and engine. I just plug the 7000 into the lazy man connectors as and when whilst still having the crocs to do random charging of spare batteries.

The initial charging and desulphating of the battery that had been fully discharged for 4 years took several attempts before a green light was given and the process too a long time. I would not have trusted the result had it been magically repaired overnight.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
W

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
CTEK XS7000 trial

24hrs later and battery is on maintainance charge. I started charging the second of the pair and one hout later read the voltage again. now charged to 12.9 a healthy voltage.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
I have just had a look at the spec's on this charger and it says that the "Maximum battery current rating (charging) - 150Ah".

So it would be no good as a replacement charger for most M/H's as, as most of use have in excess of 150Ah battery banks.
Doug...

OP
OP
W

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I have just had a look at the spec's on this charger and it says that the "Maximum battery current rating (charging) - 150Ah".

So it would be no good as a replacement charger for most M/H's as, as most of use have in excess of 150Ah battery banks.
Doug...
when on hookup most things would be on 240V anyway so the maintainance charge which is for 225amp/hr battery banks would be sufficient or am I missing something.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
when on hookup most things would be on 240V anyway so the maintainance charge which is for 225amp/hr battery banks would be sufficient or am I missing something.

No you have not missing anything, but I have 6X50amp bank, giving 300amp/h capacity. Also my van has only been on hookup twice in the lats 4 years. but I was thinking, if the system works, of giving my bank a tonic!!!

Doug...

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Doug easy way to do that would be to split it into 2 :thumb: just for charging purpose :thumb:
terry
PS I think they charge more than the quoted max :thumb: just takes longer

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
Hi Doug easy way to do that would be to split it into 2 :thumb: just for charging purpose :thumb:
terry
PS I think they charge more than the quoted max :thumb: just takes longer

Next time we meet I will show you my batteries, then you will see its rather inconvenient.

Doug...

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Next time we meet I will show you my batteries, then you will see its rather inconvenient.

Doug...
Hi Doug what you want then is
Link Removed
nice kit for not a lot of money :thumb:
terry

OP
OP
W

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Wildman are you pleased with the charger is it all you expected?

I will not be happy with it untill I have rcovered a "dead" battery, that is the reason I got it, give me time to test lots of batteries before I give an opinion or present you with sufficient results for you to make your own mind up.

OP
OP
W

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
No you have not missing anything, but I have 6X50amp bank, giving 300amp/h capacity. Also my van has only been on hookup twice in the lats 4 years. but I was thinking, if the system works, of giving my bank a tonic!!!

Doug...
I suspect you are asking too much of a single charger Doug, whilst it will charge a bank of batteries I don't think it is clever enough to desulphate those that need it, should be done individually. I suppose a later test will be to couple a bad battery to a good one and see what happens when I charge them.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
I suspect you are asking too much of a single charger Doug, whilst it will charge a bank of batteries I don't think it is clever enough to desulphate those that need it, should be done individually. I suppose a later test will be to couple a bad battery to a good one and see what happens when I charge them.

Sorry Rodger, I am not explaining myself very well, there is nothing wrong with my batteries but they are 4 years old and as such there will be some sulfate on the plates and to remove it would improve them all.

Doug...

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
Hi Doug what you want then is
Link Removed
nice kit for not a lot of money :thumb:
terry

Terry, the charger that "Wildman" is testing is not a normal type charger, the one you have suggested would not do the same job.

Doug...

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I do hope the Ctek works on reviving batteries Roger... just fitted the new leisure batteries (2) to the Hymer... the old ones read 6.2 volts and 8.4 volts... would love to resuscitate them..

JJ :Cool:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Terry, the charger that "Wildman" is testing is not a normal type charger, the one you have suggested would not do the same job.

Doug...

Hi Doug I may be wrong on this but I think / thought all 3 stage chargers de-sulphated batterys ? I even sent Roger a small one from Aldi = auto x5 to try but from the sound of it he did not realise that they did what he is trying with the bigger CTEC one :thumb:

I do hope the Ctek works on reviving batteries Roger... just fitted the new leisure batteries (2) to the Hymer... the old ones read 6.2 volts and 8.4 volts... would love to resuscitate them..

JJ :Cool:

JJ the Aldi auto x5 and lidl's tronic ones both £12 ish will de sulphate a single battery up to 120 amp --I have had success with a 90 amp hr battery that was not quite dead but would not hold a charge until charged with the Auto x5 :thumb:
terry

OP
OP
W

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
[1) Elecosol 110 amp/hr battery on charge at 10.30am will leave 24 hours.
24hrs later and battery is on maintainance charge. I started charging the second of the pair and one hout later read the voltage again. now charged to 12.9 a healthy voltage, after a further 24 hours voltage on first battery has dropped to 12.6V the second Elecsol behaving same as the first so far.

2) just connected a dead battery (3V) not holding out much hopes for this one but will see. I took this battery as a chance to check out reverse polarity protection, sure enough went to error mode. Reversing the leads and LED number one started to pulse indicating desulphation taking place.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
[1) Elecosol 110 amp/hr battery on charge at 10.30am will leave 24 hours.
24hrs later and battery is on maintainance charge.

That's OK but you need to test it's capacity, say stick a headlamp bulb on and time it.

What I'm thinking is, if half the plate area is shredded the other half could come up to voltage but you only have a 55Ah battery.

OP
OP
W

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
24hrs later and battery is on maintainance charge. I started charging the second of the pair and one hout later read the voltage again. now charged to 12.9 a healthy voltage, after a further 24 hours voltage on first battery has dropped to 12.6V the second Elecsol behaving same as the first so far.

2) just connected a dead battery (3V) not holding out much hopes for this one but will see. I took this battery as a chance to check out reverse polarity protection, sure enough went to error mode. Reversing the leads and LED number one started to pulse indicating desulphation taking place.
I left it on over night and checked this morning. The light was indicating Fault mode, the instructions does state a madlt discharged or Large battery could take an number of attempots to reach the minimum charge needed to go on to he next phase. So I will do it twice more today, before trying on a less dead battery. (one sitting at 12.1 V maybe.)

OP
OP
W

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
after a further 48 hours the voltage has dropped again to 12.53V

I left it on over night and checked this morning. The light was indicating Fault mode, the instructions does state a madlt discharged or Large battery could take an number of attempots to reach the minimum charge needed to go on to he next phase. So I will do it twice more today, before trying on a less dead battery. (one sitting at 12.1 V maybe.)
after 4 desulphate cycles the battery is reading 6V but still refusing to charge, it just goes into fault mode. so I have connected to a high capacity plain charger to give it a boost. Will put it back for further desulphation this evening, The voltage is slowly rising. I worked out last night this battery was removed from a vehicle I had 10 years ago so success with this will well and truely prove its worth.

OP
OP
W

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
the 10 year dead battery now sitting at 8V and refusing to go higher, 4 cells good on hydrometer 2 x dead so does seem to prove its worth.
will continue with other batteries when I return on Monday.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back