Is There a Difference Between Spanish & Portugese LPG (1 Viewer)

Ant&Debs

Free Member
Jun 24, 2009
Alvorge,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Rockwood Fiver
Exp
2 years long time ago
Hi

Just driven from Zahora to Jerez to fill up Pickup & Glasow Bottles with LPG. Managed to find repsol depot ok. Attendant connected up to LPG tank ok, as soon as he pressed the fill button the pump shut down. He tried it a few times and also with the Gaslow Cylinders, same the pump shut down.

Never had this situation before, The attendant looked sorry but then said Portugal? We last filled in Portugal. I said yes and with a pad and pen he described percentages between spannish/portugese LPG.

Still Confused. Anyone else come across this?

Ant&Debs

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Hi

Just driven from Zahora to Jerez to fill up Pickup & Glasow Bottles with LPG. Managed to find repsol depot ok. Attendant connected up to LPG tank ok, as soon as he pressed the fill button the pump shut down. He tried it a few times and also with the Gaslow Cylinders, same the pump shut down.

Never had this situation before, The attendant looked sorry but then said Portugal? We last filled in Portugal. I said yes and with a pad and pen he described percentages between spannish/portugese LPG.

Still Confused. Anyone else come across this?

Ant&Debs

Percentages of what?

I know the depot you went to, I have filled my bulk tank there a few times as well as filling up in all of the Portuguese garages around the east end of the Algarve and never had any problems, true I have a bulk tank and not a Gaslow tank but there should be no difference.

The only thing I can think of is the attendant used a unworkable combination of adapters but I do not understand how???

Doug...

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
also with the Gaslow Cylinders, same the pump shut down.
Ant&Debs

Did you think to completely vent the Gaslow cylinders ? Any bit of residual gas surely could not be a problem.

Very strange.

Sounds more like a duff pump to me.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Ant&Debs

Ant&Debs

Free Member
Jun 24, 2009
Alvorge,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Rockwood Fiver
Exp
2 years long time ago
We cant understand either the pick up has a bulk tank which is what he tried to fill first.

The attendant seemed to be trying to say the difference between propane/butane and that because we had filled in Portugal was the issue this is the first time we have tried to fill the vehilce lpg in spain. Had no issues in Portugal or the UK.

Although the only difference I have noticed was the amount that the tank would hold from empty. ie, empty uk took 85 litres. empty portugal took 100 litres. I assumed that this would be from outside temp.

:Doh:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
We cant understand either the pick up has a bulk tank which is what he tried to fill first.

The attendant seemed to be trying to say the difference between propane/butane and that because we had filled in Portugal was the issue this is the first time we have tried to fill the vehilce lpg in spain. Had no issues in Portugal or the UK.

Although the only difference I have noticed was the amount that the tank would hold from empty. ie, empty uk took 85 litres. empty portugal took 100 litres. I assumed that this would be from outside temp.

I think the attendent was talking out of his pump end.

Doug...

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
We have done most of Spain and an awful lot of Portugal and the only problem and that wasnt the road tanks, that was the habitation tank when we tried to top that up in Alicante..

I suspect as others have said the attendant did not lock on fully..

If you could see your way to getting it sorted please, by the time we get there, we will have to go a couple of times. thanks:winky::thumb:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Never had any problems with filling Gaslow (or Calor) bottles in Portugal... very strongly suspect operator error...

...the Spanish are always blaming the Porrtuguese for something... :winky:

JJ

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967

you have that the wrong way round, the colder it is the more gas you would get in the tank. The differance you are seeing is that UK pumps will cut off at 80% due to the pressure, Spanish pumps obviously have a differant pump pressure. From what you say it would appear his pump was faulty. what mix is/was previously in the tank would make no differance. Had to be his pump faulty. Unless of course someone else knows differently. Maybe JJ can answer that one.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Never had any problems with filling Gaslow (or Calor) bottles in Portugal... very strongly suspect operator error...

...the Spanish are always blaming the Porrtuguese for something... :winky:

JJ

Don't you mean everything JJ? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I have been filling in Spain & Portugal for years with no problems, with Gaslow & Calor

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back