Petrol warning ( dangerous situations now occurring ) (1 Viewer)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
This stolen from another forum I infest ( PetChem related one )

I dont know if this is going to affect many of you on here unless you run older vehicles or boats.

Fuel companies, due to pressure from government and the green lobby, have started to add ethanol to unleaded fuel. At present it is only 10% but it is starting to cause havoc to fibreglass fuel tanks by dissolving the resin, rubber components, seals etc are also being affected. It has been noted that it also destroys the traditional Petseal used for coating the inside of fuel tanks.

Ethanol is also hygroscopic (absorbs water) and if you store your vehicle over long periods of time the water seperates out and settles in the bottom of the tank making starting virtually impossible unless the tank is drained.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Are you saying that it can effect the seals in the likes of fuel pumps, fuel lines?

Doug...

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Yup..
I see an AWFUL lot of claims on the horizon

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
This stolen from another forum I infest ( PetChem related one )

I dont know if this is going to affect many of you on here unless you run older vehicles or boats.

Fuel companies, due to pressure from government and the green lobby, have started to add ethanol to unleaded fuel. At present it is only 10% but it is starting to cause havoc to fibreglass fuel tanks by dissolving the resin, rubber components, seals etc are also being affected. It has been noted that it also destroys the traditional Petseal used for coating the inside of fuel tanks.

Ethanol is also hygroscopic (absorbs water) and if you store your vehicle over long periods of time the water seperates out and settles in the bottom of the tank making starting virtually impossible unless the tank is drained.

Interesting thread though have to say that Ethanol is not a new additive used in fuel at all, it has been used as an additive in petrol since the mid 70`s, in Brazil and also the states, Brazil has percentages of 25% blended fuels and also use neat Ethanol in there flexible fuel bus fleets.
I`m thinking that Ethanol was damaging to rubber seals etc we would have heard something about by now

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
The Brazilian vehicle market has specially made parts fitted..

The situation in America is currently subject of an FBI sub committee investigation and here in the UK ( you are right.. it has been added for a while but only a matter of a couple of years and not to ALL fuels ) the situation is causing havoc in the vintage car and bike game.. And the boat trade have already had to issue warnings and suggestions as to how to deal with the problems

And yes, LOTS of people have heard of it.. Up until very recently you had the choice of fuels..now you will not..

Only up side is that they have not found a way to make it a worthwhile additive to diesel as yet ( or so I am led to believe )

Oh and you can get your petrol vehicle converted to safely run on an ethanol mix.. Average cost seems to hover around the 4 grand mark !! :Doh:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Oh and you can get your petrol vehicle converted to safely run on an ethanol mix.. Average cost seems to hover around the 4 grand mark !! :Doh:

well if its only £4k i'll get the chainsaw, strimmer and ride on mower sorted as well as the RV :roflmto:

Oh!! and i'll get the diesel volvo done as a precaution.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back