Dumries & Galloway (1 Viewer)

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Hi all came across this interesting (to me anyway) poster in the Kirroughtree Forestry Car Park (near Newton Stewart, Dumfries & Galloway). Kinda spells it out but does it apply to MH's?

Link Removed

Great area and some superb looking overnight stopovers :winky:

Stewart

Attachments

• wildcamp-poster.jpg
    wildcamp-poster.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 149

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Scotlands interpretation of wild camping is lightweight camping...ie: tents.

there is no given right to wildcamp in a motorhome, though its usually overlooked. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi all came across this interesting (to me anyway) poster in the Kirroughtree Forestry Car Park (near Newton Stewart, Dumfries & Galloway). Kinda spells it out but does it apply to MH's?

Stewart

No

Access rights do not extend to:
•being on or crossing land for the purpose of doing anything
which is an offence, such as theft, breach of the peace,
nuisance, poaching, allowing a dog to worry livestock,
dropping litter, polluting water or disturbing certain wild
birds, animals and plants;
•hunting, shooting or fishing;
any form of motorised recreation or passage (except by
people with a disability using a vehicle or vessel adapted for
their use);
download the Scottish Access code pdf http://www.snh.gov.uk/docs/A309336.pdf

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Thanks guys, thought I'd read somewhere motorised camping was not included.

Stewart

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Stewart

I live in Dumfries and use a few of the forest for wildcamping and never any problems yet its like everything if they see you are being sensible about it they wont have a problem. Quite often we have a few mhs in the dock park(town centre park) car park and police have no problem with them as long as they keep it tidy the police will even drive in a few times a night.

If ever coming up this way feel free to ask about wild spots

Gerry

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Like Gerry we often spend a night in the Galloway Forest Park, it's only 40 mins drive away. Never had any problems. There are literally loads of places to park up without using the car parks.

Rgds
Bill

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Thanks Gerry may take you up on that, OH not keen on wilding during short days of winter. I've visited and birded your wonderful area for 40 years now its only an hours run to Dumfries from home.

On an absolutely stunning little CC CL near New Galloway for next couple of nights (maybe 3) views and wildlife to die for and the whole site to ourselves. Spent last couple of nights at Creebridge (not recommended and definitely off our "we'll return list")

Heading slowly back home at end of week with intention of a couple of nights near Mersehead, any recommendations! we stayed at Kippford last weekend but were not terribly impressed.

Stewart

Hi Stewart

I live in Dumfries and use a few of the forest for wildcamping and never any problems yet its like everything if they see you are being sensible about it they wont have a problem. Quite often we have a few mhs in the dock park(town centre park) car park and police have no problem with them as long as they keep it tidy the police will even drive in a few times a night.

If ever coming up this way feel free to ask about wild spots

Gerry

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Again Stewart

If your heading to mersehead you will find a couple of cl just a few miles away one at powilloment and one at New abbey never used them as only couple of miles from my house.

You can also wildcamp on the beach at powilloment done that the odd night also if you head towards dumfries from mersehead after a few miles on the right hand side is a viewing point just sitting off the road which would also be good for the night.

Or if you are in to birds come into dumfries and head for caerlaverock which has an rspb bird place also and a lovely littl castle (the only triangle castle in the uk i thing) and i could give 2 good places to park up for there or if you want feel free to head for my house we are only 6 miles from caerlaverock with free hook up lol. As i said in last post the dock park car park is ideal with no crowds and has a pub and resturant in park.

Gerry

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Yo Gerry and thanks especially for your kind offer, we decided to stay an extra couple of nights at this superb little CL near New Galloway. We'll be travelling Mersehead way on Sunday and if the awful forecast materialises for Monday probably continue on home a coouple of days earlier than planned.

Again many thanks

Stewart

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
No problem Stewart have a good trip

swiftcalled1ggy

Free Member
Nov 16, 2011
sw scoland
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato swift 1.9td
Exp
wild camp sw scotland

south of Portwilliam is a place called Monrieth, just south is a road on the right sign posted st meidens golf course,follow this road for about a mile"single track but good" where there is a good car park a great beach,stayed for a night,brill' ,or you could try Killantringan lighthouse just north of Portpatrick where there is a car park ,great beach and view's to the north coast of Northen Ireland,although access to the beach is tidal but there is a cliff path down which is steep and can be slippy !!

clangeals

Free Member
Oct 30, 2014
Dumfries,Scotland
Funster No
MH
Autohomes Explorer 2
Exp
2 months only
Wilding in Dumfries

As well as the ability to park and stay overnight in the Dock Park down at the river in Dumfries there is a great quiet park along the Glencaple Road called Castledykes Park where you can park and stay ( no restriction signs).There are public toilets there and the car park is just to the right inside the park gate -drive along St Michaels Street and take the middle road at the traffic lights-the park is signposted about 1/4 mile along this road.
The park is a joy and has a great sunken garden in the old quarry-it also has the site of the old Dumfries castle with it's historical connections. Grid Ref (I think) is NX 976 746

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back