Struck by a virus (1 Viewer)

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
One of our hairdresser phoned to say she had a message come in up IE8 saying something was infected, since then you haven't been able to access the internet from that computor. I downloaded a couple of programs on to a pen drive, but the wouldn't install, a quick search on google and it said rename them, and now they run. Just doing a scan now, but posting this from my lappy.

Running AVG but it still got through. Flipping pain in the neck. :Angry:

Olley

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Out of interest what AVG are you running Olley. Sorry about your problems.

Jim
:Smile:

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
The free one, think I might dump it and install MS essentials.

Olley

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
The free one, think I might dump it and install MS essentials.

Olley

Yup. This was being discussed on the forum the week before last I think. I had Commodo on my desktop and it know in the bin. I signed in to Mcafee (Think thats how Its spelt) and feel a lot more secure.

I downloaded Essentials last night but havent had a chance to look at it yet.

I was too bust trying to insert a pic into a post, without any success I may add. Good luck with it.

Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I use Kaspersky and that works alongside malwarebytes, (one of the main reasons for using Kaspesrky) between them they do a fantastic job:thumb:

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Just booted AVG and installed MS essentials, after a scan it found Alureon.H virus, this amongst other things redirects you to sites, which is one of the things that was happening, just a pity AVG didn't pick it up. Hopefully all will be ok now. :thumb:

Olley

400ixl

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt High
Exp
3 years
Windows Security Essentials is about the best out their for a free solution. It consistently out scores AVG, Kaspersky, Avast etc in the monthly security scans these days.

The problem with this particular virus is that it is the user that installs it. They are given a warning that they are infected and its the action they take that installs it on the machine.

Usually has some kind of popup like Security 2010 has found a virus.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Interesting - we used to use Norton - had so many problems that we went to Macafee which seem even less use than Norton- we were then recommened by an IT professional to go for AVG ( the bought version) and that found so much rubbish on the computer . Have used AVG ever since - seems to be very good and have been running it now for 3 or 4 years. Often wondered is the the programs that appear to vary its effectivness or is it down to personal preferences

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Just thought I would list some of the things this virus did.
It wouldn't allow the Chrome browser to connect to the net, although I could connect using IE8
When I did connect using IE8 it kept redirecting me to other sites, one of which insisted I had stacks of virus and wanted me to download a cure, having read about bogus programs of this type I declined their generous offer.
It stopped me downloading anything.
All the icons in network connections disappeared
It stopped Malwarebytes and superspy, two programs I installed from a pen drive from running, until I changed the name of the executable file.

Malwarebytes, did claim to have found a Trojan, and after that I could connect with Chrome, but I was still getting redirected 50% of the time, however it enabled me to download MS essentials and run it, and essentials found the Alureon virus, and now everything appears to be running ok. So a big thanks to MS.

I started working on this around 10.00 and didn't finally sort it until 19.00 :Angry:

Olley

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
That is just too long Olley! Its a good job you are a rich man of leisure and can afford the time.::bigsmile:

I know I keep saying it, but its worth repeating. I will type slowly and large in the hope that everyone understands::bigsmile:

When your computer is running fast, sweet and virus free, take a disk image of your C: drive. Store it on a thumb drive or a DVD. There are lots of programs that can do this, I believe Windows 7 does it, I use Acronis.

Back up your work, photos, docs etc regularly, I use Acronis for this too.

Then should you get stung with a virus. Install the disk image and you are back with a fast, sweet and malware free system in around 20 minutes.

You know it makes sense::bigsmile:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
That is just too long Olley! Its a good job you are a rich man of leisure and can afford the time.::bigsmile:

I know I keep saying it, but its worth repeating. I will type slowly and large in the hope that everyone understands::bigsmile:

When your computer is running fast, sweet and virus free, take a disk image of your C: drive. Store it on a thumb drive or a DVD. There are lots of programs that can do this, I believe Windows 7 does it, I use Acronis.

Back up your work, photos, docs etc regularly, I use Acronis for this too.

Then should you get stung with a virus. Install the disk image and you are back with a fast, sweet and malware free system in around 20 minutes.

You know it makes sense::bigsmile:

Yes Jim, Windows 7 does do it and I have a mirror of the OS on disc and flash stick.

Jim
::bigsmile:

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Good advice guys, but between the shops and home we are running 6 computors continuously, this is the first time in umpteen years we have had a virus. Going around each shop and home doing a regular backup would have taken far longer over the years, and I would still have to wait while they downloaded all the updates from MS, Java, Adobe and any virus software etc.

What I need is some way to prevent access to all but a few sites that I know are fairly safe, maybe facebook, twitter and the like. I don't mind the girls going on them when they quiet, just need to stop them having unrestricted access. Any ideas?

Olley

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Sounds like you need a networked server Olley although I would imagine thats a bit expensive.
Jim

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
There has been a bit of this going around. As soon as you click the box to say 'No' or even just close the box - it allows the virus in bypassing security. Only way around it is to shut down the computer without touching anything and reboot.

This will infect memory sticks etc!

Kapersky are very good for viruses, but will slow things down as it won't let anything past at all without checking it. Same with Norton - rather safe than sorry though!!

Hope you get it sorted!

400ixl

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt High
Exp
3 years
Good advice guys, but between the shops and home we are running 6 computors continuously, this is the first time in umpteen years we have had a virus. Going around each shop and home doing a regular backup would have taken far longer over the years, and I would still have to wait while they downloaded all the updates from MS, Java, Adobe and any virus software etc.

What I need is some way to prevent access to all but a few sites that I know are fairly safe, maybe facebook, twitter and the like. I don't mind the girls going on them when they quiet, just need to stop them having unrestricted access. Any ideas?

Olley

Its built into internet explorer under zones. You can restrict it to just use trusted zones and add them.

Alternatively if you move to using www.opendns.com for your DNS provider then you will get phishing protection and can set restrictions which will apply to all computers and browsers.

For a backup solution its worth having a look at www.carbonite.com

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
As well as AVG Free, I use AdBlock Plus (http://adblockplus.org/en/) and NoScript (http://noscript.net/), both of which fit seamlessly into Firefox, and prevent anything like these attack sites and scripts getting anywhere near my PC............................so far.....:thumb:

Usual disclaimers apply - no connection with these companies etc etc

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
think I have a virus

Help required please

I use firefox to connect. I use google as a search engine and for the last couple of days google finds the results of the search and then when I click on the results I am diverted to another search engine or three. I have scanned the computer with AVG and it has found nothing.
Still having problems, has anyone else got this problem and anyone got any ideas how to solve it. I have downloaded Microsoft Security Essentials as someone has already suggested and have scanned the computer again. Problem still occuring.:cry::cry:

Any other ideas.

Lesley

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Lesley thats one of the things mine was doing, did you get MS essentials to do a full scan or a quick? I did a full scan, took around an hour or so, I also downloaded and ran malwarebytes http://www.malwarebytes.org/ and that found a trojan virus.

Best of luck it was a pain in the bum.

Olley

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08

Olley

Yes. This software is pretty good and its free for home users.

Link Removed

Basically its parental control software but unlike the built in security tools in IE it actually is useable. I use it for customers who have 15 year olds who can knacker a PC just by looking at it and I also have it running in a few internet cafe's. Its best to set the security as minimal otherwise you may find it too restrictive. On the sites I installed it I havent had a single problem since. Just so everyone knows this is not anti virus software its content filtering software. You must still have anti virus software as well but ht K9 software will stop you (or your little darlings) accesing the kind of websites that carry viruses!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back