New Locker Hinges required-any suggestions (1 Viewer)

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Hi, I have a Geist Phanton, and they have a bit of a reputation for the locker hinges seizing up-don't know why as have oiled them.
Now 2 have seized up on one locker and it has pulled the screws out
(there are 3 on this locker and am worried about the door falling off on the road :shout: )

I am looking to replace with a good quality hinge and wondered if anyone has any suggestions where to buy?

Geist have kindly sent 2 new ones, but dont want to fit them in case the same problem happens :Doh:

Ta very much, S

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Hi, I have a Geist Phanton, and they have a bit of a reputation for the locker hinges seizing up-don't know why as have oiled them.
Now 2 have seized up on one locker and it has pulled the screws out
(there are 3 on this locker and am worried about the door falling off on the road :shout: )

I am looking to replace with a good quality hinge and wondered if anyone has any suggestions where to buy?

Geist have kindly sent 2 new ones, but dont want to fit them in case the same problem happens :Doh:

Ta very much, S

Don't worry Sue Johnscross will be along in a minute:ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Theonlysue

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
New Locker Hinges

He must still be asleep on his boat:ROFLMAO:

S

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
He must still be asleep on his boat:ROFLMAO:

S

Nope am at home and the electric has gone off, eveidently they are digging the road up YET AGAIN, must admit the genny started first pull after 3 years of non use with a squirt of Easy Start!

Only 2.5kw but it runs the central heating, lights and TV,s plus the office so back on line again.

As to locker hinges, you got two new ones, use those!

Peter

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
DONT OIL them...use SILICONE GREASE. Good old lube up - slide them together and then fit! You won't have a problem unless you introduce OIL, which will seize them up.

If you screw them in, you can take one off at a time at a later date for disassembly and re-lube if they start to play up.:thumb:

OP
OP
Theonlysue

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Siezed hinges

DONT OIL them...use SILICONE GREASE. Good old lube up - slide them together and then fit! You won't have a problem unless you introduce OIL, which will seize them up.

If you screw them in, you can take one off at a time at a later date for disassembly and re-lube if they start to play up.:thumb:

Thanks very much.
Whats the difference between oil and silisone and why will the oil make them seize? My local dealership said to spray with WD40, not such a good idea methinks!

Cheers, S.

Mixter

Free Member
Dec 2, 2009
Keighley, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Now a year - cant believe it!
The silicone is superly duperly non-stick and shouldnt dry up. There'll also be a load of other technical reasons of the mineral kind that some anorak will testify to, ill warrant.:roflmto:

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
The silicone is superly duperly non-stick and shouldnt dry up. There'll also be a load of other technical reasons of the mineral kind that some anorak will testify to, ill warrant.:roflmto:

As far as I remember Silicone grease is a waterproof grease made by combining a silicone oil with a thickener. Most commonly, the silicone oil is polydimethylsiloxane and the thickener is amorphous fumed silica. Using this formulation, silicone grease is a translucent white viscous paste, with exact properties dependent on the type and proportion of the components.

Anorak out :ROFLMAO:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Oil holds grit and dust, it dries and congeals and makes the plastic 'soft' due to a reaction. All this leads to seized hinges!

Silicone does not dry and congeal, resists grit ingress and has no effect on the composition of the plastic - hence it is far better.

mpc13

Free Member
May 17, 2010
Funster No
Locker hinges

Thought I would add to this thread as I've had a lot of trouble finding replacement exterior locker hinges for my '98 Autoroller 4. Rang the Rollerteam people and they put me on to Alastair at Geoff Cox (01332781562). He can order in all sorts of hinges and was able to find the one I was after - very helpful.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back