Tyres (1 Viewer)

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
6 years and 20 years as a tugger
Just had the m/home serviced and its first mot flew through The Fiat Dealer asked me to keep an eye out for the front tyres as he rekons they have another 1000 miles my question is how many miles should i get from the front tyres its A Bessacarr 3.0 lt also asked him about the judder and the clutch problems that some Models are having very few and only on the 2.00lt model in all the cases he has delt with they were towing a car behind them

Bill

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
You will get higher front on wear on front wheel drive vehicles that are towing, as they are pulling weight, those with trailers may on some angles experience more wheelspin whilst gaining grip. It all goes against tyre life, which does vary as to where you are.

Hard to say how many miles your tyres will last, as many motorhomes will often have changes through age/flat spots/side wall cracking rather than tread wear.

Rear tyres have to be monitored as well as they are carrying weight and under more extreme sideways movement. If you look inside an old tyre - even if the sidewalls are fairly ok, you will notice tramlines at the endges inside. These are caused by the vehicle leaning as it corners on insufficiently inflated tyres. That is often the cause of rear end blow-outs, as it is a hidden wear characteristic.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
How many miles a set of tyres will last is dependent on too many factors to give anything like an accurate idea. What tyres are fitted, the pressures they're being run at, how heavy the vehicle is, how hard you press the loud pedal, how hard you corner....all these and more factors will have a bearing on tyre life.

On a small van I used to drive for work I got over 70,000 miles out of one set of Michelins but they were shockingly bad for grip. On a fairly sporty car I used to own I was lucky to get 18,000 miles out of Avon Turbo Speeds but they stuck to the road like soft $h1T on a blanket.::bigsmile:

D.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
today had to have a new tyre fitted bridgestone camper tyre cost ÂŁ112 .had to wait 5 days for it to arrive from scotland depot there were none in england .van as 14k on clock
tyre as been faulty from new would only stop up for two weeks .it was cheaper to change than keep paying at air pump LOL :Doh:

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
We've just put new tyres back on our van, same as what we had on, Michelin Camping Tyres they had done over 50000 miles:thumb: didnt want put cheapies on, seem like false economy.:Eeek:

Sep 29, 2009
norwich
Funster No
MH
swift escape 640
Exp
since 2009
Just had the m/home serviced and its first mot flew through The Fiat Dealer asked me to keep an eye out for the front tyres as he rekons they have another 1000 miles my question is how many miles should i get from the front tyres its A Bessacarr 3.0 lt also asked him about the judder and the clutch problems that some Models are having very few and only on the 2.00lt model in all the cases he has delt with they were towing a car behind them

Bill
interesting how many miles have you covered ??
re judder [no towing done] my 2.3 has had full mod. it is much better to reverse.and when driveing it has much less engine/trans noise into cab area very worthwile allso extremly happy with fiat excelent service from factory:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back