James May pits American RV vs. British camper van (2 Viewers)

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Thats obviously a very biased opinion:ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Nowt wrong with the Euro Van:RollEyes:
It'll make a great Toad:thumb::ROFLMAO:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Yes it would have been a different story had they taken both motorhomes on a tour of West Wales. In fact I think Clarkson is girly enough to let out some really big screams from the suicide seat::bigsmile:, Especially if May was driving:ROFLMAO:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Seeing that the camper-van he looked at was a Swift product I have to agree with his final comment on the van, "POSITIVLY DISCUSTING"

Doug...

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
They did pick what looked like a titchy Euro van though.

The RV was massive but unless I missed something it just had a pokey sofa and a dinette no bigger than the one in my Kontiki. I also have a rear lounge so does this mean my van has more seating than an RV?

I like the robustness of RV's though. Ideally I would like my van as it is but with much more robust running gear, twice the payload, double the water capacity but I would still prefer a thetford and the 7 x 3 metre dimensions.

Do they make a Kontiki size RV? Oh I would want it to still do 20+ mpg::bigsmile:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Seeing that the camper-van he looked at was a Swift product I have to agree with his final comment on the van, "POSITIVLY DISCUSTING"

Doug...

Yes my Casio G Shock is positively disgusting compared to my Rolex, the build quality cannot compare. The casio is mass produced and built to a price that ordinary people can afford however it gets used more and keeps better time::bigsmile:

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Yes my Casio G Shock is positively disgusting compared to my Rolex, the build quality cannot compare. The casio is mass produced and built to a price that ordinary people can afford however it gets used more and keeps better time::bigsmile:

:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek: I know I am getting old but have I missed a page :whatthe::whatthe:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
In the article May was comparing and contrasting two products, one was a luxury top of the range American product, the other a budget British product. My casio v rolex comparison was supposed to highlight the unfairness of comparing two product like that. :Smile: but with the sting in the tail that in that case the budget product does the job better.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
my thoughts 12k second hand euro van against a new 100k plus yank- what do they expect the result to be :ROFLMAO:Send 100k on a euro van then do the comparison :thumb: Local to me RS motorhomes / race vans compare very fav to any yank :thumb:
terry
Link Removed

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun

And doesn't need £100 services yearly which takes up to 6 weeks like my omega:Doh::RollEyes:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp

If a product is not fit for purpose then it does not matter what the price is. It is my experience with the Swift that I own which was NOT FIT FOR PORPOSE and if it was not for my re-engineering and repair it would have been scrapped a couple of years ago.

Doug...

Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Motorhoming since 2006, 30 years tent camping in Africa
I think you're all missing the real point: :Blush:

Delving deep into the psychology of it all....
In May's eyes the Euro van probably reminds him of a caravan ... and we all know how neutral those three guys are about caravans :ROFLMAO:

Rog

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Lottery win needed for the new big American, but even then one of the bigger European A class would probably be more practical for our personal use. The only problem I am having is leg room in the dinette, so its probably a bit academic at present.
I have to agree the comparison between a new american rv and a secondhand UK Mh is absolutely not a comparison. He was taking the 'p' out of us again, but in a nicer way than Clarkson would.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
my thoughts 12k second hand euro van against a new 100k plus yank- what do they expect the result to be :ROFLMAO:Send 100k on a euro van then do the comparison :thumb: Local to me RS motorhomes / race vans compare very fav to any yank :thumb:
terry
Link Removed

Still no comparison , no slideouts , no genny, etc

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
If a product is not fit for purpose then it does not matter what the price is. It is my experience with the Swift that I own which was NOT FIT FOR PORPOSE and if it was not for my re-engineering and repair it would have been scrapped a couple of years ago.

Doug...

We should speak as we find Doug, I have owned two Swift products and they were both excellent and very fit for purpose.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Tis worth remembering this is pure entertainment :Smile:

To put it in to context, would you take a report in the Sunday Sport as having any news worthyness or indeed any actual value at all ! ::bigsmile:

I do feel sorry for those three sometimes 'cos their script writers often make the look complete numpties !

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
We should speak as we find Doug, I have owned two Swift products and they were both excellent and very fit for purpose.

Can we check if we are talking about like with like?

My van is a Sundance built in 2003 I have owned it for 5 years in which I have lived in it for 3 1/2 years. How does that compare with your ownership?

Doug...

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Can we check if we are talking about like with like?

My van is a Sundance built in 2003 I have owned it for 5 years in which I have lived in it for 3 1/2 years. How does that compare with your ownership?

Doug...

I had a Swift Conquerer that I lived in for 5 days, most weeks a year for 6 years, also a Swift Bessacar, bought new, which I had for 2. Like I said my experiences with swift products were excellent. Some Italian makers are giving good value right now, but I think it would be extremely difficult to beat Swift when it comes to building budget well spec'd vehicles which are just about affordable. You had issues so have a gripe- mine was a positive experience and like you, I speak as I find:Smile:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
I had a Swift Conquerer that I lived in for 5 days, most weeks a year for 6 years, also a Swift Bessacar, bought new, which I had for 2. Like I said my experiences with swift products were excellent. Some Italian makers are giving good value right now, but I think it would be extremely difficult to beat Swift when it comes to building budget well spec'd vehicles which are just about affordable. You had issues so have a gripe- mine was a positive experience and like you, I speak as I find:Smile:

You never stated the build years but never mind. We are not talking about Like and like, the Conqueror I know nothing about but I suspect it is pre-1999 build and the Bessacarr has better quality fittings in it.

The Sundance range is the cheap and nasty range or should I say; just the nasty end of the range.

Doug...

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
You never stated the build years but never mind. We are not talking about Like and like, the Conqueror I know nothing about but I suspect it is pre-1999 build and the Bessacarr has better quality fittings in it.

The Sundance range is the cheap and nasty range or should I say; just the nasty end of the range.

Doug...

They are building to a price,so its stands to reason that the materials would reflect that when compared to more expensive motorhomes. Personally I would not buy a budget vehicle, designed for holidaying in for 4 weeks a year plus a few weekends and then live in it full time, I can't think of any budget motorhomes up to that task, not with my family anyway :Smile:

The swift conqueror was a caravan:Blush:

To a tired backpacker on a wet and windy day, even the crappiest little motorhome is a palace. :Smile:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Tis worth remembering this is pure entertainment :Smile:
!

Entertainment ? ENTERTAINMENT ??

Condescending drivel that insults the intelligence of anyone who watched it.

I must remember to send death threats to Jim for posting the link.

Oh bollox I can't be bothered, you pass it on will you -- YOU ARE DEAD YOU ARE !

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Entertainment ? ENTERTAINMENT ??

Condescending drivel that insults the intelligence of anyone who watched it.

I must remember to send death threats to Jim for posting the link.

Oh bollox I can't be bothered, you pass it on will you -- YOU ARE DEAD YOU ARE !

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I just love a bit of fishing ... :roflmto:

and sh1t stirring :winky:

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
YEAH! Facts has got a bit boring since they moved the Subscribers bar. Lets stir it up a bit.

RV's are for Faggots.

BD

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back