Free Member
Sep 24, 2010
North Shields Tyne & Wear
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
1 month
Good morning. Ive been browsing the forum for a couple of weeks, so I though it was time to pay me sub's and introduce myself.

Throughout the years the wife and I have often considered getting a motor-home but never quite got round to it. A few years ago I returned to my love of motorcycles and eventually the wife and I started weekend camping with all the gear on the back of the bike. This was great fun until a month or so ago when one cold, windy and wet Monday morning we had to pack up the tent in the pouring rain and howling wind and make our way home from the Isle of Arran. Just a little 200 mile ride!! By the time we got home we decided that we were getting a bit too old for that lark and with my health problems becoming more and more significant it was becoming just too difficult. Time for a new plan!

So we have now brought a little motor-home. It's a 25 year old Talbot Talisman Auto-Sleeper, got 63K on the clock and runs really sweet, got all the home comforts we need and is very tidy inside. The new plan is to fit a tow ball onto it, already got a tow bar fitted and to trail me Triumph T100 behind us. This way we can get to wherever in comfort, park up and then explore the local area on the bike.

Ive already added an 85 watt solar panel on the roof, charging a nice big 180 Ahr battery inside the van and a TV aerial to it. Cant wait to start getting away at weekends now. We have also decided to take the rig over to the Isle of Man next year for the TT races, so if anyone has any tips for places to park over there I would be happy to here them.

Philip & June Martin.

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Welcome aboard sounds like you have the job sorted so you know what you have to do next

get out and enjoy it Lynda and Alan

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
pouring rain and howling wind and make our way home from the Isle of Arran. Just a little 200 mile ride!! By the time we got home we decided that we were getting a bit too old for that lark
Philip & June Martin.

:roflmto:

It was Loch Ness in our case.

Then we toured the dealers on the bike and at every stop we parked next to a bike. It seems bikers get the message in the end.

Loads of bikers in here, you can't become a non-biker just like that. The bike is still here when I feel the need.

Boring as hell in a van but it is warm and dry and we'd never have considered Morocco on the bike. However we did queue up behind a few Brit bikes at the border.

Now where are you going all warm and dry ?

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Hi ya welcome

We did the exact change three years ago and havent looked back.

We did a lot of motorbike touring, spain,Portugal, France, Italy, Switzerland, down to the Balkans. Sometimes we camped and sometimes in hotels. It was hard going I hated unpacking and packing all the time. Hated the fact that I could not get a good bed when camping, specially if we had been out on the bike all day.

I love the fact that yes we have a comfortable bed, a wardrobe full of clothes (only a motorcyclist or backpacker can know what that feels like). Ice cold drinks in the fridge, a shower and toilet on hand. Comfortable seats plus all of the usual creature comforts.

We towed our motorbike on the back of a trailer sucessfully. However this year we have also gone to having a scooter on a rack at the back of the motorhome, which was a godsend and more cost effective on the ferries to Greece and some of the islands, it just wouldnt have worked with a bike a trailer.

We tend to choose the bike to the circumstances, if were going somewhere with fantastic bike roads we take the motorcycle , but if its maybe just short hops, or aires and wildcamping then the scooter comes into it own.
We did choose a Honda 300cc scooter and it has splenty of welly even for us heavyweights.

Regards

Pat and Neil

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I hated unpacking and packing all the time.
Pat and Neil

Nothing like trying to carry two 45l Givi panniers up a spiral Campanile staircase.

But we do miss stopping in Campaniles. We love DIY food.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Hi Philip & Jun and welcome to Fun. You'll find theres a few bikers on here:Smile:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
flyingwelcome

hi your only regret will be why did we not do it sooner:ROFLMAO:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hello and welcome to FUN sounds as if you are getting well sorted flyingwelcome

OP
OP
Phil_Mart

Phil_Mart

Free Member
Sep 24, 2010
North Shields Tyne & Wear
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
1 month
Can I just say a big thank you to all the posters/funsters, welcoming us to the board.

Looking forward to a long and enjoyable association with you all :thumb:

Philip.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back