recomended electrician required (1 Viewer)

IanH

Free Member
Apr 6, 2008
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
Hi all
im'e looking for a electrician to rewire /convert my 5th wheel to 240v ,either mobile or local and must be used to RV systems .
Other than Itchy Feet down here in Cornwall has anyone got any recomendations

Cheers Ian

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
hi
like Jim I don't know anyone down your way,
We had Cross Country do ours, seem OK pricewise, but it's a long way from home for you, It' not rocket science----you could get a local sparky to do it------BUT you need to know which route to take !!
Nigel

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

harryoxford2

Free Member
Sep 14, 2010
Bishops Stortford Herts
Funster No
MH
B
Exp
2010 and camper all my life
CAUTION..im a newbie so dont take any of this as gospel

from all the forums and advice ive seen on here there are people on here can sort it.

Correct me if im wrong experts but I think im right in saying that 5th wheeler will be rated 50amp wired and the max it will ever get plugged in is 16amp or perhaps a little higher on a site.
Ample anyway for 240 volts, so its already wired, you just need to change the sockets and get an electrician to fit out the conversion you require.

The genny probably produces 110 which you need for your onboard american stuff so you need a thingy (not saying what its called in case its wrong) that converts 240 to 240 and 110 plug in.

My rv has a relay box thingy under the bathroom sink (bright place to put it huh?) and its the origional american fitting and it says 110/240 on it. Have a poke around under seats and in hidden spaces usually near the plug in and see whats what.

The electrician may only need to take some 110 circuits and place them on the 240 side and replace the american 110 sockets with english 240.

If you are teccy and eleccy minded you can save a bundle in labour diying the main bulk and then get the qualified electrician to check it all out, specially if you leave all the sockets hanging out but hardwired so he can check your wiring at a glance.

Anyway as this thread grows..and it will you will get completely the right advice. This isnt rv related though its a good electrician job.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
The electrician may only need to take some 110 circuits and place them on the 240 side and replace the american 110 sockets with english 240.

BUT if there just one 110V gadget hidden and unknown, maybe a thermostat controlled anti-ice heater, and it gets overlooked -- it could get very exciting in there.

I would say you can't do it properly without tracing every wire and drawing an accurate circuit diagram.

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Or just do it with 2 voltage systems and a new ring main for the 240volt stuff, just remember to add an extra uk socket next to things like the microwave so you can change them for 240 volt in the future without any fuss.

Im sure 5ers dont come with a genny but its easily sorted if one is fitted with a transformer anyway.

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
that's pretty much as mine is, Dazzer, just a seperate ring for 240V socskets.. the 110 side gets its power from a transformer linked to the 240V hook up..

so they co exist happily (well they did until just about every 110 item gave up after I tried living in the van for 3 years :ROFLMAO:)

saying that, the AC still works, which is great at this time of year ::bigsmile: maybe I can divert the air into the fridge so that will work too hehee

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
Correct me if im wrong experts but I think im right in saying that 5th wheeler will be rated 50amp wired and the max it will ever get plugged in is 16amp or perhaps a little higher on a site.
Ample anyway for 240 volts, so its already wired, you just need to change the sockets and get an electrician to fit out the conversion you require.

Wouldn't the insulation be different on 110V and 230V cables?

OP
OP
IanH

IanH

Free Member
Apr 6, 2008
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
I can get pretty handy with the tools but but i am not going to mess with 240v i like to sleep knowing things are done right .
Luckily there are no complicated systems on our 5er so things should be quite easy to do,no genny or inverter only got 1 battery .

We have had a bit of interest from a few funsters which i will follow up

Thanks for all replies Ian

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
our old 5er was wired by putting 240 through the 110 circuit, but, IMHO this is more complicated than fitting a new ring main and fitting a 240 to 110 transformer----this way you don't need to touch the 110 circuit and all original equipment can continue as before. We have found a massive advantage in being able to run lap tops 'phone chargers cameras etc. etc. on the 110 sockets, (take a look at the voltage on all your equipment--it's amazing how much stuff is marked 110--240 ! ! !. Just need some cheap GB to US socket adapters easy peasy ! ! !
It's not common for 5ers to have fitted gennys.
Nigel

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
12 Volt Shop down St Austell Bay business park. He builds/services motorhomes and has quite a good customer base.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back