LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
We're off to the Isle Of Wight, anyone recommend places we should visit (not stopovers - we're on a site) but places of interest.

Wyn

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
there is an amazing amount of interest on the island - worth getting one of their free tourist guides - pos even in the reception at your campsite - only 4o minutes from one end to the other but weeks of exploring

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We're off to the Isle Of Wight, anyone recommend places we should visit (not stopovers - we're on a site) but places of interest.

Wyn

You can't miss Osborne House and don't miss the gardens where just how German they were is shown.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Loddy

Free Member
Jul 5, 2008
south west
Funster No
MH
RV C class
Exp
4+ 30 years tugging
I agree with Brian about Osbourne house, don 't miss the childs house down the garden it even has child size cutlery and china made by the leading makers of the day.

Loddy:Smile:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I agree with Brian about Osbourne house, don 't miss the childs house down the garden it even has child size cutlery and china made by the leading makers of the day.
Loddy:Smile:

The biggest regret is not being allowed to take pictures in the house. Shame.

But what a history lesson, this must have been the peak of European monarchy, the peak of wealth, power and decadence.

Contrast that with HM cancelling the staff Christmas party this year. I wonder if Victoria gave staff Christmas parties, I think not.

Right by the beach, her wheeled bathing hut, can't have her *walking" to the water can we.

You can see the "Great" in Britain in that place.

novawight

Free Member
May 14, 2010
Hayling Island
Funster No
MH
hi top,
Exp
on and off 50 years
born and bred over there ,
any rate what I would suggest is the Shanklin old village,many pretty thatched house,s, a walk down from there down Shanklin Chine, a fine walk along coastal path towards Sandown , a great pub along the way called the Fishermans Cottage, used todo nice lunches there.

Also a nice and very popular pub is the White Mouse at Chale, take the coastel road to Freshwater , and it,s on the right going from Ventnor, a town which is cut off from the rest of the Island, because of the Downs, ( very hilly ) I could probably write a few chapters on the subject, the places i have written about are my favourite haunts, but a guide will give you more insight p.m me if there is anything you would like yo know

hailman

Free Member
Nov 4, 2009
IoW
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Lots, on and off, way back to VW splitty`s!
Nice beaches are Appley, Sandown and Shanklin, Compton, Totland and more deserted ones in between but with more restricted access. Nice villages are Godshill, Brighstone, Shorwell, Chale. Nice towns are Bembridge, Yarmouth Ventnor, Freshwater, Cowes, Newport and Ryde.
Shopping needs to be done in Newport or the big new Tesco in Ryde.

For attractions, pick up a (free) copy of `Island Visitor` on the ferry, everything else you have to pay for. ::bigsmile:

Coastal walks and cycle paths, forests, hills, great pubs and restaurants.

No wonder I live here! ::bigsmile:

Don`t forget, the roads are bumpy, potholey and narrow :Eeek: Look out for young blond mums in Range Rovers, shades on, fag in one hand phone in the other, hurtling round the lanes with blinkers on. They won`t even acknowledge you are already IN the hedge. :ROFLMAO:

Oh yeh, and have FUN! :thumb:

OP
OP
WynandJean

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks - we're really looking forward to it :Smile:

Wyn

novawight

Free Member
May 14, 2010
Hayling Island
Funster No
MH
hi top,
Exp
on and off 50 years
Nice beaches are Appley, Sandown and Shanklin, Compton, Totland and more deserted ones in between but with more restricted access. Nice villages are Godshill, Brighstone, Shorwell, Chale. Nice towns are Bembridge, Yarmouth Ventnor, Freshwater, Cowes, Newport and Ryde.
Shopping needs to be done in Newport or the big new Tesco in Ryde.

For attractions, pick up a (free) copy of `Island Visitor` on the ferry, everything else you have to pay for. ::bigsmile:

Coastal walks and cycle paths, forests, hills, great pubs and restaurants.

No wonder I live here! ::bigsmile:

Don`t forget, the roads are bumpy, potholey and narrow :Eeek: Look out for young blond mums in Range Rovers, shades on, fag in one hand phone in the other, hurtling round the lanes with blinkers on. They won`t even acknowledge you are already IN the hedge. :ROFLMAO:

Oh yeh, and have FUN! :thumb:

Did,nt see any blond mums in range rovers, we had to walk to school Nipper, how times have changed, me with me drum kit stuffed into a Morris Minor

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back