Propane pressure on US equipment (1 Viewer)

Deleted User
I have recently had reason to investigate the operating pressure of the furnace etc on my imported 5er, of course being american they use strange units(inches of water column), but I have converted these to European units. The operating range is aprox 27 mbar to a max of 32 mbar, the problem is that my unit does not have the modern fixed regulator set to 30 mbar but a bottle top propane regulator set to 37 mbar.
Has anyone come across this before and does anyone know if there are any REAL safety issues with this(not just manufacturers covering there backsides), I have been using this system for 2 years but only rarely using the heater or boiler.
I am in Spain at the moment using a 30 mbar regulator on Spanish gas but will fit a bulkhead regulator on return to the UK.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
sorry cant help with your question but what was the math for converting us to euro pressures.

thinking of 'gassing' my onboard genny but the (vapour) kit stipulates a pressure in mb.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi

while wintering in Spain we used the Spanish bottle and regulator for several months without a problem..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
sorry cant help with your question but what was the math for converting us to euro pressures.

thinking of 'gassing' my onboard genny but the (vapour) kit stipulates a pressure in mb.

its ok i found a conversion chart :thumb:

11 inchs water column is approx 27mb

thanks Jim....posts overlapped

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
its ok i found a conversion chart :thumb:

11 inchs water column is approx 27mb

thanks Jim....posts overlapped

no problem ..

it's easy to make a manometer to measure inches water, you need a plastic tube, piece of board and a ruler ..

it's a handy bit of kit , can use it to check your LPG pressure on the RV and to check for leakage.

here is an example http://www.leapsecond.com/pages/manometer/

apologies if you already know

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
no problem ..

it's easy to make a manometer to measure inches water, you need a plastic tube, piece of board and a ruler ..

it's a handy bit of kit , can use it to check your LPG pressure on the RV and to check for leakage.

here is an example http://www.leapsecond.com/pages/manometer/

apologies if you already know

thanks Jim.

i made a similar device, 4 in fact, but in vacuum form to balance the carbs on an old Honda 550/4 motorbike

worked very well too.

OP
OP

Deleted User

Sorry I didn't reply to your question, I have only limited access to the internet and am only on line for a short time each day. I used a similar online conversion site.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Hi i had a similar problem and spoke with Duncan of Star Spangled Spanner - suggest you have a natter with him - from our discussions and having checked each appliance for the recommended WG I fitted a Gaslow 30mb reg and auto change over unit - the result is amazing every thing runs a lot better and the furnace is quieter - gas consumption is a fraction of that before - In no way am I a gas engineer but think I understand enough to discuss sensibly - hence my reason for talking to Duncan before I did anything. certainly worth investigating further and if you find out the required pressure ( hand books - labels on appliances etc ) Duncan can give accurate info. Even the oven cooks more evenly now :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back