polishing the over head bulge (1 Viewer)

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I like the idea of leaning over the top with Beryl :Smile: but have to say that cleaning the bulge is not an easy job. I prop a ladder on one side while I clean the other side then swap over but it is difficult and seems to take the bulk of the squashed flies that the vehicle collects.

Wyn

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
I lye on the roof and lean over the top.
Jim
:winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
The top half, lay on the roof if you have access.

The bottom half...or all of it if you have no roof access, there are the following options;

1. Use one of the platform type ladders that are available from most DIY stores.

2. Scaffold tower if you have access to one - not worth buying one though!

3. wooden horses with a scaffold plank across, and variations of, such as decorators Iron type trestles which will give greater hieght and adjustment.

4. A series land rover - reverse up, drop the tailgate and stand on that...perfect height!

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
4. A series land rover - reverse up, drop the tailgate and stand on that...perfect height!

Totally off topic but you just reminded me, we had the father in laws rotting series in the front drive for a while, didn't half make hedge trimming easier:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

highwayman

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Herne Bay
Funster No
MH
Low profile Rapido
Exp
Since 2005 ish
I use a rolled camping mat gaffer taped to the top of my ladder and lean it against the luton in-line with the passenger seat. Do all of the bulge from there exept the bit the ladder's against, do that bit from the side :thumb:

cheers...nige

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I have a tall pair of stepladders which I can set up so that they straddle the corner of the bonnet without touching the van. From there I am able to reach half way across the Luton and the same from the other side.

I use Onedrywash so no messing about with buckets of water or anything like that.

I seem to remember Chris (FreelanderUK) posting something earlier this year about one of those platform type ladders that he bought on eBay for a reasonable price.

Graham

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
send the son-in-laws up, buXXers got to be good for something

freelanderuk

Free Member
Sep 24, 2009
Saltfleet/Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I have a tall pair of stepladders which I can set up so that they straddle the corner of the bonnet without touching the van. From there I am able to reach half way across the Luton and the same from the other side.

I use Onedrywash so no messing about with buckets of water or anything like that.

I seem to remember Chris (FreelanderUK) posting something earlier this year about one of those platform type ladders that he bought on eBay for a reasonable price.

Graham

this is what i bought from ebay Link Removed

it works great and straddles the full width of the bonnet making cleaning very easy , and best of all it takes my weight :Smile:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Thanks Chris. I nearly bought one when you posted previously. Just looked at the video and ordered one - I can think of several uses in addition to cleaning the Luton.

Graham

OP
OP
G

goffer

Free Member
Mar 15, 2010
weymouth sunny dorset
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2 but tugged for 10
Polishing the overhead bulge

Thank you all very much for your suggestions and comments, I have tressles and scaffold boards, so will give that a try,not too happy about lying on the roof and hanging over, thanks again,

tony

freelanderuk

Free Member
Sep 24, 2009
Saltfleet/Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Thanks Chris. I nearly bought one when you posted previously. Just looked at the video and ordered one - I can think of several uses in addition to cleaning the Luton.

Graham
its one of the best things the wife has bought me , makes cleaning and polishing the van very easy , helps when i cut the conifer hedge and the next door neighbour was impressed when he used it while painting his house:Smile:

just make sure you use cable ties to secure the metal platforms to the ladder as i had one slip abit

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back