Whats an Aires (1 Viewer)

jonrud

Free Member
Oct 1, 2010
Purton Wilts
Funster No
Exp
14 years caravaning
I have seen aires campsites mention on this forum could someone explain what they are i have been a tugger for 14 years and have never heard of it thanks. Hope this is not a daft question:Doh:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
an Aire comes in many flavours usually found in France most are free stopovers with grey and black dump, fresh water and electric, some charge for water and electric, sometimes its free. Only for motorhomes caravans not allowed.

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
An Aire in France is a rest stop. Its what makes touring France in a Motorhome such a pleasure. They do not allow caravans to use the Aires which is why you probably haven't heard about them

The French Aires system provides thousands of places to park a motorhome all over France. It seems almost all villages and towns have an Aire to encourage visitors to overnight and hopefully use the towns shops and facilities. Some are free, some require a token payment, almost all have somewhere to dump waste and take on some water. Some have a hook up. Some are in an out of the way place on a dusty bit of concrete, others might be in stunning locations.

They are all listed in "Le guide official etapes touristiques camping-car" which you can buy almost everywhere in France, it comes out every year and its a good idea to always have an uptodate version. :thumb:

Upvote 0

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
here you go, a pair of em..:winky:

boxin+hares+2.jpg

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Note:

Aire simply means area .. or place

Not all are motrorhome specific.

so you will find:

Picknik aires where cars, caravans etc can park up

Autoroute aires, places to stop for a break, trucks, coaches, cars etc .. some with full facilities, fuel etc, others only with toilets ..

Camping Car Aire .. the ones to use :thumb:

Do not use Autoroute aires to overnight, there is a high risk of a burglary and theft from motorhomes.

An excellent site for camping car aires http://www.campingcar-infos.com/index1.htm

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jonrud

jonrud

Free Member
Oct 1, 2010
Purton Wilts
Funster No
Exp
14 years caravaning
many thanks for the posts including shiftZZ version another load of info for my motorhome data base cant wait to get my first motorhome hopfully in the next few months. thanks again JR.........

Upvote 0

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
You can also download the aires from the site Jim mentioned HERE

This allows you to access the information from your computer if you don't have an internet connection, this is the way I do it when travelling. :thumb:

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
You can also download the aires from the site Jim mentioned HERE

This allows you to access the information from your computer if you don't have an internet connection, this is the way I do it when travelling. :thumb:

shame it's not Jock Friendly .. ie Scot free :roflmto:

I have a DVD disc, 2007 I think , which Jock (Jock and Rita ) kindly lent to me when we met at Mimizan,.. if you you read this, many thanks Jock.. when are you updating it :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

you can also download the POIs for Sat Nav .. FREE :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back