Part ex or not?? (1 Viewer)

jonrud

Free Member
Oct 1, 2010
Purton Wilts
Funster No
Exp
14 years caravaning
Hi to all ex tuggers did you part exchange your caravan when you purchased your first motorhome or sell it privately? Just wondering which is the best way to go..

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
That depends on what you value it, the dealer would probably take it off your hands for a song, so you are able to buy said motorhome, or you can sell privately and wait for ages to shift it, I did sell mine private cos the dealer didn`t want, it they don`t like big Hobby caravans,Good luck on what you decide:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:stick it on E bay when they have a free listing to see if you get any bids, you can retract it before the end so you dont incur fees

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
You may well find there is little difference between selling privately and a part exchange deal due to the difference in value between the relatively low cost value of a caravan against a motorhome.

It would be a lot less hassle to p/x

Peter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
jonrud

jonrud

Free Member
Oct 1, 2010
Purton Wilts
Funster No
Exp
14 years caravaning
Would I have to take the van to the dealer for a price or will they price it from their little black books?

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Would I have to take the van to the dealer for a price or will they price it from their little black books?

If it was us, we would have to physically see the caravan and inspect if for a firm price which if it was agreed, you would leave it with us as part of the deal.

Peter

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
when we traded in our first van the dealer didn't even open the door....just made us an offer.

obviously the price we were offered included a reduction for repairs whether there was any or not.

desperation/urgency is a vicious animal so we accepted the offer...5k less than we paid the same dealer 6 months earlier then it was back on the forcourt a day later for the same price we initially paid:Doh:

nice easy 5k profit for nothing.:Angry:

OP
OP
jonrud

jonrud

Free Member
Oct 1, 2010
Purton Wilts
Funster No
Exp
14 years caravaning
Thanks I no were your coming from but we are not in a hurry at the moment.

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
We bought our motorhome and then sold the caravan. But we were fortunate we did'nt need the funds from the van to buy the M/H.
I would put the caravan up for sale while you are looking, if you sell you will be in a better position to negotiate with the dealer and also a private seller is not likely to want the caravan. If the caravan sells and you have'nt found a motor home do what I have just done.
£600 on a 21 year old caravan, at least we still get away.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
nice easy 5k profit for nothing.:Angry:

Not quite Pappa, VAT takes £750 for a start, plus valetting, servicing, warranty, advertising, rent, rates, insurance, phones, staff wages and other overheads, he might end up with £1500 nett.

Peter

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
it depends on a lot things

age of van

whether you need the funds

time of year

when bought my m/h (privatly) I went to see the m/h,did the deal. came home polished the ends of the van, put an advert on preloved (8pm), checked my emails at 10pm and had a email form somebody wanting to view. I sold the van the next day for with £25 of my asking price.

but the van was oldish I sold it for £2,200

it was spring

this time of the year you might struggle, try "preloved" its great

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
We bought our motorhome and then sold the caravan. But we were fortunate we did'nt need the funds from the van to buy the M/H.
I would put the caravan up for sale while you are looking, if you sell you will be in a better position to negotiate with the dealer and also a private seller is not likely to want the caravan. If the caravan sells and you have'nt found a motor home do what I have just done.
£600 on a 21 year old caravan, at least we still get away.

Hi andyman

If that 21 year old van is clean and dry and all working I could be the buyer when you have done with it.

All the best Rick.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We PX'd ours. We got £9500 for it. It was 3 years old and still immaculate inside. It had a small ding on the near side under the window the size of a golf ball but not deep , and that was it.
We only expected 10k very tops if we sold it private anyway . The dealers actually thought it was only a year old , and when we said it was nearly 3 he said he'd have no problems selling it. We had rallied in it virtually every weekend since getting it , with 3 kids and 2 dogs , but looked after it.
We also paid 2 to 3k less for the MH than we had expected. So the motorhome prices were not inflated for PX ing .
Infact we still see the odd 2006 model like ours , for sale for more than we paid.
The dealer put the caravan out for sale at only £500 more than he gave us . He also sold it within the week , as he said.

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Sorry to busy trying to buy an old caravan, I sold mine private but I also bought my RV private, had no problem selling the caravan as it was as near new condition, plus it had all the goodies including motor mover (unused).

All the best Rick.

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Our experience was similar to Ralph and Bev above.

We did not want the hassle of getting rid ourselves. Though 8 years old it was in good condition and was sold by the dealer within a week.

They gave us a price we thought was good for us, as was the overall deal we thought. Clearly they have a business to run and will make a profit.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Not quite Pappa, VAT takes £750 for a start, plus valetting, servicing, warranty, advertising, rent, rates, insurance, phones, staff wages and other overheads, he might end up with £1500 nett.

Peter

Also not quite Peter :ROFLMAO: Vat negates itself, you only pay vat on profit :Eeek: so when your overheads are taken out the vat will be less :winky::ROFLMAO:
terry

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967

Peter
Peter if you only get £1500 out of £5000 its time you sold lucky heather door to door or got a decent accountant.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
Hi andyman

If that 21 year old van is clean and dry and all working I could be the buyer when you have done with it.

All the best Rick.

Yes all still there and working. My daughter and family are in it at Bridlington at the mo. Then we are of to Wildman country (Woolacombe) next week. I thought we would be done with it by now. But there are not many A class for sale at the mo.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Also not quite Peter :ROFLMAO: Vat negates itself, you only pay vat on profit :Eeek: so when your overheads are taken out the vat will be less :winky::ROFLMAO:
terry

Negative Terry,

VAT is payable on the gross profit margin, a dealer could actually end up paying out say £4000 for a new engine and in theory only leaving £1000 nett profit but he still has to pay VAT on the original £5000 gross = £750 and there is no way round it.

and Roger I am not talking about me but at the end of the day the nett, nett margins are not what punters think they are!

Peter

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Yes Peter but if you paid 4k for a engine you would claim this back plus the vat on your 4k :ROFLMAO::thumb: so negating the transaction -- At the end of the day on your 5k you will claim all sorts of expenses/overheads to reduce your VAT and tax liability's :thumb: you and I both know that :thumb: :winky:
terry

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
put it on ebay

As an earlier post suggests put it on ebay on a free lsiting day.

who knows it may go. I advertised my one in a local paper and had lots of people interested. But I was just getting rid of it and still had the day van then.

Good luck

Bob

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back