Have I bought the right LED lights (1 Viewer)

themountaintiger

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 649C Class
Exp
Since 24th March 2010
Trying to save power when no hook up and have bought some LED lights. The lights that swivel 2, in dining area and 2 in bedroom (MR16's), ive got sussed and yippee control panel is showing that instead of 0.8 amps each they are now at 0.1 each amp each.

My problem (if it is) is to do with the downlights which have a G4 in them. I found a G4 MR11 25 SMD
on ebay to try and it does fit, but im unsure if the height of it, if touching the reflector semi dome would cause any potential problems. I appreciate that the dome must have heat reflecting properties as it is for Halogen bulbs, but is there any issue with LED's actually touching the dome area?? I bought just the one to try so dont mind binning it for a better solution before buying a set of 9 that I need.

Hope this makes sense. Ive included a piccy, any help/advice appreciated...:Smile:

Attachments

• IMAGE_090.jpg
    IMAGE_090.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 59

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
There are different types of G4 LED - see illustrations Link Removed - for different types of fitting.

I'm sure Aten would advise which is right for your fitting.

Graham

Upvote 0

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
they have almost every type of led

There are different types of G4 LED - see illustrations Link Removed - for different types of fitting.

Graham

I agree with Grahm have a word with Aten they have most (not all) types of replacement led bulbs.

They do not have the one for the American (Winnibago) wardrobe light.. this is a tube with metal prongs each end.. it has to be the original type replacement:Angry: know have tried to replace it .. have done all the others on my RV now and that is one lot of lights.

But it does make a differance when you have done them to the battery drain.

Bob:thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
themountaintiger

themountaintiger

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 24th March 2010

Graham

Thanks graham, I had been to the Aten web site and was undecided whether a flat one would have been better. There is one that is 23mm in diameter I was considering Link Removed , but bought the one I have as due to it being similar shape..

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
They do not have the one for the American (Winnibago) wardrobe light..

snip

But it does make a differance when you have done them to the battery drain.

Bob:thumb:

You don't spend a lot of time in a wardrobe, so it's hardly going to be significant ... unless you haven't come out of the closet yet Bob ..:roflmto:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
still trying to get in it not out

You don't spend a lot of time in a wardrobe, so it's hardly going to be significant ... unless you haven't come out of the closet yet Bob ..:roflmto:

Even I cannot hop up into this one.. still trying to get in it.. It is one of those you never are really sure it has gone out when you shut the door.. but no we could not get an LED to switch in it's place.. that is the point Jim I was making.. not my sexual preferances.. .. still a blond, about 5'10" blue eyes ....and 25 years old would do nicely.. but Sue says I would not know what to do with it???:Doh: I would die happy I know that... :Blush:

Anyway back to the wardobe... if I could only get in it and be sure it goes off:Eeek:

Bob

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Even I cannot hop up into this one.. still trying to get in it.. It is one of those you never are really sure it has gone out when you shut the door..

Bob

ah yes.. the old fridge light problem.. how do we KNOW it's gone out .. ?

test the door switch .. :thumb: or drill a hole in the door to look inside :Doh:

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Take the bulb out :thumb: to be certain :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
terry

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks graham, I had been to the Aten web site and was undecided whether a flat one would have been better. There is one that is 23mm in diameter I was considering Link Removed , but bought the one I have as due to it being similar shape..

the flat one would be better in my opinion.

replace all mine on the kontiki with that type.

www.ledbulbs4u.co.uk do a good selection.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
They do not have the one for the American (Winnibago) wardrobe light.. this is a tube with metal prongs each end.. it has to be the original type replacement:Angry: know have tried to replace it

is this any good Bob?

LED bulbs right hand side, second row.

you remove ALL the gear tray from the existing lamp and replace it with this, simply connect to the existing switch.

saw them at lincoln and they look fine.

considering them myself but as i have 10 x twin tube fittings it works out rather expensive at over £220 :Eeek:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
themountaintiger

themountaintiger

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 24th March 2010
the flat one would be better in my opinion.

replace all mine on the kontiki with that type.

www.ledbulbs4u.co.uk do a good selection.

Thanks pappa john thats the first web site ive seen which shows if you have one of these ie. the G4 halogen buy this circular one. Ive added the link for future motorhome Funsters who might have the same issue.. Link Removed

:thumb:

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks pappa john thats the first web site ive seen which shows if you have one of these ie. the G4 halogen buy this circular one. Ive added the link for future motorhome Funsters who might have the same issue.. Link Removed

:thumb:

the 9 led ones are much better than the 6 led version.

i think the 6 led are 20w equivelent and the 9 are 25w.

i used 25w in the main lights and 20w under the cabinets.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
themountaintiger

themountaintiger

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 24th March 2010
the 9 led ones are much better than the 6 led version.

i think the 6 led are 20w equivelent and the 9 are 25w.

i used 25w in the main lights and 20w under the cabinets.

hmm trying to work out if the 9 led ones will fit as they are 3cm diameter, whilst the 6 led ones are 2.3. now wheres mi measuring stick??

Upvote 0
C

caravanledlighting

Deleted User
LED Lighting

Hi,
Maybe we can help please visit us at :spam: or send me your requirements to :spam: and I will sort out your needs.

Chris

Upvote 0
OP
OP
themountaintiger

themountaintiger

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 24th March 2010
the ones in my link are the same diameter for both 6 led and 9 led

Hmm the sizes are slightly different at 3cm for the 9led and 2.7cm for the 6 led on that site although ive seen on another site there is a 2mm tolerance mentioned. Another web site shows the 6 led version as 2.3cm, looks same but cant tell if exactly the same. Ive not measured yet but would seem that if 3cm will fit then ill have the choice.

thanks for helping

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back