Trickle Battery Charger - affect of incorrect 230v polarity? (1 Viewer)

Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Motorhoming since 2006, 30 years tent camping in Africa
Hi folks

I have a German import so have European 230v sockets in which I use our EU-to-UK adapters. As you know they can be inserted both ways with correct or incorrect polarity.

I've just bought a trickle charge for charging my engine battery when on hook-up, but wanted to know what will happen if I have the wrong polarity. :Eeek:

Anyone know or have any experience?

thanks
Rog

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I would think it will trip out the supply

Hi folks

I have a German import so have European 230v sockets in which I use our EU-to-UK adapters. As you know they can be inserted both ways with correct or incorrect polarity.

I've just bought a trickle charge for charging my engine battery when on hook-up, but wanted to know what will happen if I have the wrong polarity. :Eeek:

Anyone know or have any experience?

thanks
Rog

I should think it would trip out the supply... I have had Vanbitz fit a reverse polarity switch system in my RV so that it does not matter if the wiring is back to front as you find in France still theses days.. why not call them for some advice... the fitting cost was not that bad.

Bob:thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
wanted to know what will happen if I have the wrong polarity. :Eeek:

Rog

no effect .. will work either polarity .. there is no wrong way

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if its a basic charger without complicated electronics it will work on either polarity.

just a simple transformer which aint bothered which way the power comes in.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
if its a basic charger without complicated electronics it will work on either polarity.

well John. we've been down this road many many times.. usually ends in a stalemate .. that little word.. IF ?

to the best of my knowledge there is no a/c appliance that is polarity conscious.. if there is I would like to know .. I would hate to give wrong advice .. or blow something up.

a/c by definition doesn't have polarity.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Just for the sake of the OP who is wondering why he asked I'll comment.

Totally ignore our tame lawyer, he didn't read the OP correctly.

I'm with Jim, there is no way any charger should need to be connected one way or the other.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
no differance to charging or anything else come to that matter apart from the fact that uk supplies are earthed on the neutral and fused on the live, fit a fuse in both lines and forget about reverse polarity problems because there won't be any.

OP
OP
RogerIvy
Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Thanks to all who replied.

I'm going for this charger:
Link Removed

I'm planning to put a 60A relay between my engine battery and my Sterling B-to-B charger so it's doesn't try to kick in when I use the trickle charger. I spoke to Sterling who say that will work, because the B-to-B charger uses the leisure battery to run it's own systems (i.e. it's timer and software etc.). I'll use the charging indicator to close the relay so it only kicks in when the alternator begins to charge the starter battery.

Rog

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Thanks to all who replied.

I'm going for this charger:
Link Removed

I'm planning to put a 60A relay between my engine battery and my Sterling B-to-B charger so it's doesn't try to kick in when I use the trickle charger. I spoke to Sterling who say that will work, because the B-to-B charger uses the leisure battery to run it's own systems (i.e. it's timer and software etc.). I'll use the charging indicator to close the relay so it only kicks in when the alternator begins to charge the starter battery.

Rog

Hi

for a few extra bob, I think the Aldi charger ( as discussed in cTek thread) would be a better buy as it would maintain the battery better.

It would also negate the need to isolate the engine battery thereby keeping it maintained as well.

Less work and less kit to go wrong, KISS as Brian loves to say :roflmto:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
got to agree with Jim...

for a little over twice the price you get a charger with the ability to boost, float and trickle charge any battery up to 110ah.

it also goes a long way to rejuvinating tired batteries with a boost voltage of up to 14.7v

the current Aldi offering is rated at 3.8amp at a nominal 12v and its waterproof to IP65 rating.

OP
OP
RogerIvy
Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
for a few extra bob, I think the Aldi charger ( as discussed in cTek thread) would be a better buy as it would maintain the battery better

Does that charger come on automatically?
My cTek has to have a button pressed to start charging.

Rog

RVfulltimer

Free Member
Mar 15, 2008
Funster No
Hi i bought the ctek charger from Aldi conected it to my nearly flat house batterys and they are now up to 13.9 and still rising ,i have now switched my in house charger off because it makes to much noise, the water pump works fine now as does the 12v lighting,well pleased with that purchase.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back