Free Member
May 30, 2010
County Durham
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2 days
We are presently looking for a TV for the Motorhome, mum comes with us (free babysittting) good cook.. :winky: She misses the TV so we are looking for some guidance on what model to buy and possibly were you bought yours from, so we can order one quite quickly, we want to keep mum happy. :thumb:

thanks

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
we looked in Comet for ours dont know the model it`s locked up in MH but it has a built in dvd player. You need to look for one with a transformer and a 12 volt lead if you want to run off the van battery.
Unless you have got a guaranteed 240 volt supply.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

niggle

Banned - Rule 1
Banned
Aug 5, 2010
SOUTH AND FRANCE
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
:Cool: i run a 26 inch flat screen ,from currys/comet think its a panasonic with dvd/blue ray built in via a 240 /500 w inverter,bought at maplin,, and its conected srtaight to lesure batt 85 amp/hr ,, the power the batt gives on full charge lasts the tv for about 14 hrs::bigsmile: if you need more ansers p/m me,, totals were tv £185,, inverter £ 58 cheeper than a 12 volt tv.:ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

harryoxford2

Free Member
Sep 14, 2010
Bishops Stortford Herts
Funster No
MH
B
Exp
2010 and camper all my life
a question

John..can i ask...on the rv is a wind up tv mast....at the rear of the van is an inlet into one of the lockers where you can plug in tinternet hard line or phone (havent checked that out yet...) but also an ariel input....

im guessing this is for having a bigger mast or perhaps more obviously at sites where you plug into their tv ....

question....what if I plugged in a sat dish to this lead??? can a sat received signal travel down the coax cable and co-exsist with the normal television ariel??? or should I disconnect the normal tele mast first then plug into the sat dish??
also will the signal booster built into the normal signal also boost a sat signal???

These may be stupid questions but asked in all innocence

patr

Free Member
Jul 1, 2008
Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Des

Have a look on the Richer Sounds website for some excellent TV deals. I recently bought a Visual Innovations VI1500DVD from them for £99 (plus £9 for a 5 year warranty).

It is an excellent little set and can be powered directly from a 12v supply or mains if you are on hook-up. It doesnt have a 12v lead so I purchased a 12v stabilised (cigarette lighter) power lead from Maplins for £19.99 as LCD TVs can be voltage sensitive.

For £129 all in, I have a 15" HD Ready, Freeview TV with a built in DVD player which even has a USB socket so that you record programmes should you wish.

Last edited:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
No Argument,
Avtex all the way :thumb: best 12v by a mile...wont need that noisy Genny for me to turn off and have to watch bob the builder all the way through again :winky:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
John..can i ask...on the rv is a wind up tv mast....at the rear of the van is an inlet into one of the lockers where you can plug in tinternet hard line or phone (havent checked that out yet...) but also an ariel input....

im guessing this is for having a bigger mast or perhaps more obviously at sites where you plug into their tv ....

question....what if I plugged in a sat dish to this lead??? can a sat received signal travel down the coax cable and co-exsist with the normal television ariel??? or should I disconnect the normal tele mast first then plug into the sat dish??
also will the signal booster built into the normal signal also boost a sat signal???

Hi arry , not a stupid question at all

Satellite signal requires a 'low loss' coax due to the much higher frequency of the signal, typically about 1 Ghz .. low loss cable has a copper foil layer around it a bit like kitchen foil, and/or the insulating material in between the core and the sheath has gaps, rather than being solid white soft plastic as used for TV aerials..

so will it work.. ? hmm yes and no, the cable will leak high frequency like a sieve and most likely interfere with other radio and TV signals , also the TV booster won't handle the HF signal..so that's a NO

My advice is to run dedicated low loss coax cable for the dish.

Feb 18, 2009
Guisborough North Yorkshi
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
Which TV

Going from my own experience I would reccomend buying a tv fairly local so that when problems arrise -i f they do you can return your set for repair or replacement.
We bought ours on the internet from a very well known supplier (don,t want to name them yet as we are still fighting).
The set has been returned 3 times at £12 postage each time.
They are now talking about maybe replacing it but watch this space.
I have been in touch with Consumer direct and my credit card company as back up,problem being the company is based in Guernsey and the telephone number for orders is just a call centre answering lots of companies calls.
As with the other recomendations Avtex are a good company we have their ariel and any problems they repace the part.
Hope this helps.
Sue

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
We are presently looking for a TV for the Motorhome, mum comes with us (free babysittting) good cook.. :winky: She misses the TV so we are looking for some guidance on what model to buy and possibly were you bought yours from, so we can order one quite quickly, we want to keep mum happy. :thumb:

thanks

We are firmly in the go to local wherever, Comet, Currys etc and just use a domestic. If you know you're always going to be on hookup anything will do BUT my belief is it's far better for everything possible in the van to be able to run off the battery so you're not limited, so, look for a domestic the actually runs via a 'brick' at 12 volts is the way forward. A look 'up thier bum' will establish what is or is not run on 12 volt. Many on here run direct 12volt to TV and pretty much as many run via a 12 volt stabaliser, amperor seems to be a favorite, and happes to be the way we went. You need to either cut the 12 volt cable off the brick, personnaly not recommended as what if for whatever reason you need to run from 240, then there is get a plug/s and cable and make a lead but of course if you go with a proprietary stabaliser it already has the relevant plug on so off you go:thumb: One thing, if the power to the stabaliser is present but TV off you are still putting, all be it a slight, drain on you battery.

....and, think where you're going to site/use the telly, measure and take a tape measure with you, sounds daft but especially if you plan a semi or permanent install getting the right external size is relevant as any given screen size can have a variety of external case sizes.

Harry, yes that's what it's there for. If you look behind the TV you will likely find three coaxs, one from the aerial, one to the bedroom and one from the external point which is for typically plugging into a site TV but you will notice it has the higher grade sat type connectors so is suitable for a sat feed, I know because that's what we use ours for:thumb: If you can see both ends of the cable clearly you'll probably find they have a coloured band on so you can identify which is which. Our external is permanently hooked up to a 12volt freesat box, aerial to TV and we don't have one in the bedroom. Simples:thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Harry, yes that's what it's there for. If you look behind the TV you will likely find three coaxs, one from the aerial, one to the bedroom and one from the external point which is for typically plugging into a site TV but you will notice it has the higher grade sat type connectors so is suitable for a sat feed, I know because that's what we use ours for:thumb: If you can see both ends of the cable clearly you'll probably find they have a coloured band on so you can identify which is which. Our external is permanently hooked up to a 12volt freesat box, aerial to TV and we don't have one in the bedroom. Simples:thumb:

I think you are mistaken.. the connector may be a sat type but I doubt the cable, and as I said, the high RF won't work with the booster.,

do you have a Freeview box .. for terrestrial TV or a Freesat box with a dish ??

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
I think you are mistaken.. the connector may be a sat type but I doubt the cable, and as I said, the high RF won't work with the booster.,

do you have a Freeview box .. for terrestrial TV or a Freesat box with a dish ??

Freesat, the freeview is built into the telly running off the bat wing, and as said works a treat in our Winne as we bought a freestanding (cheap) sat system for those just in case moments, ie getting F1 when the terestrial signals rubbish/non existant. Certainly on the Winne it looks sat grade cable, maybe not standard on all RVs, don't know we'd need someone like Duncan's :notworthy:input?

Re reading you post Jim, the cable is separate from external point to behind TV, ie goes nowhere near the Winguard booster, or is one of us misunderstanding the other:ROFLMAO:

As a PS to Harry, if you read, if you start messing with the bat wing make sure you turn on the booster or it wont work:thumb: Small rectangulat plate the size of a double 110 volt socket with a red LED and switch on, usually whitish colour.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
or is one of us misunderstanding the other:ROFLMAO:

won't be the first or last time ... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

The wiring is obviously different from what I had .. so if 'arry's is the same as yours no probs.. he will need to check and report back :roflmto:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i recently bought a 21.6" Full HD 12v tv from ebay.

will autoplay DVDs, CDs, MP3s, JPEGs, with full Divx support

HDMI in, Scart - (to plug in Digibox, Sky Plus, etc, etc), analogue/digital tv in - (standard aerial), common interface connector (for pay-to-view tv), VGA - (for computers, games etc), separate audio in, spdif in, S-video in, audio out for amplifier (rf coded),

gone up a tenner since. :Angry:

fits nicely over the original, retrimmed, TV box above the windscreen.

Link Removed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back