Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
Hi All,
Just a few lines to report in:ROFLMAO:

Had a quiet night in Marine Parade on Monday night...Thanks for the recommendation.

Good stopover last night but my first confrontation with French standing loos for about 30 years. :Eeek: How can you possibly read a paper at the same time. :Doh:

Now staying in lovely site "Ile D'Offard" overlooking the Loire at Saumur. Hardly any of the promised rain.......yet.
Here for a few days now I think.

Happy Travels

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
Seems like you are having a great time. next time you are looking out at the Loire with a glass in your hand think of us poor buggers back home at work.

OP
OP
MrJinks

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
Decided to stay a few days here in Saumur. The weather has been beautiful since we have been here. 25o and wall to wall sunshine :sin:

Wasn't expecting it so better make the most of it :thumb:

Attachments

• DSCF4164.jpg
    DSCF4164.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 44
  • DSCF4158.jpg
    DSCF4158.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 46
OP
OP
MrJinks

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
Parc Verger

Moved a bit further south today down to Limousin.

Arrived in Parc Verger just as the rain did.:Angry: Lovely site. Hope to spend a couple of days here and hope to get over to visit Oradour sur Glane as many others have suggested.

Forgot to mention on route to Saumur travelling along a country D road, a tarmac/gravel lorry heading downhill towards us had a rear tyre blow out 100 yards in front of us. The explosion of it was bad enough but it was like a slow motion replay of a crash. Iwas sure he was going to lose control on the bend and take us out!!!! Thankfully he managed to hold his line.:pray::pray::pray: Cold sweat for a few miles.

OP
OP
MrJinks

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
In the Pyrenees

Had a lovely few days at Parc Verger. Bob & Di made us very welcome. Great site especially for any large rig.

Moved down to nice site.......Link Removed

Nice site in Pyrenees foothills and reasonably accessable. We are the only campers here.Great.....no queue for the loo:thumb:

Weather has been really good so far. Hopefully will remain so into Spain this weekend

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Had a lovely few days at Parc Verger. Bob & Di made us very welcome. Great site especially for any large rig.

Moved down to nice site.......Link Removed

Nice site in Pyrenees foothills and reasonably accessable. We are the only campers here.Great.....no queue for the loo:thumb:

Weather has been really good so far. Hopefully will remain so into Spain this weekend

I love that area, walking anywhere on the Pyrenees is always exciting. Nice looking site bookmarked:thumb:

OP
OP
MrJinks

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
Left the Pyrenees after a couple of days. Sunshine followed us south and has followed us over the border here at Camping Les Medes in L'Estartit. Had another good journey although not impressed with Snooper Satnav:Angry:

Still busy here although many are now heading off elsewhere. Site closes for a month 1 November. Majority here are Dutch but everyone friendly.

Met up with Gibla today. He is a star.....lent us a satellite dish,tripod and cable as ours is too small for signal here.

Wall to wall sunshine since we arrived but also Mistral winds been blowing for 3 days. The van has been rocking :ROFLMAO:

Stay here for a couple of weeks now and see how weather is before we decide whether to move south or stay here on Costa Brava.

OP
OP
MrJinks

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
. Had another good journey although not impressed with Snooper Satnav:Angry:

hi
got the same unit, can you explain why?? thanks

Hi,

I bought the Snooper Ventura because,amongst other things, I was impressed with the ability to input the dimensions of M/H, and presumably be routed on the most suitable roads.
Considering this, I was not impressed to be routed through a couple of town centres that were a bit narrow for a car let alone an 8m M/H. I was routed along rural D roads when I reckon there were better N roads and the best of all sent up a 1500m altitude route with many hairpins and narrow pass points.

I blame myself for blindly following its instructions when each time I thought we were going wrong but it is difficult to change your mind or go back after you have taken the turning.

TomTom sometimes makes mistakes but I expected more from a satnav costing £400.

I now keep the map open on route to give me heads up for correct road and will go back to TomTom in future as I don't have faith in Snooper

Free Member
Dec 3, 2009
surrey
Funster No
MH
hymer A class
Exp
since 2010
snooper satnav

[/quote]

thanks for your reply looks like i wasted my £400 also, wondering if anyone with this unit got the same problem as I have not try mine out yet .

OP
OP
MrJinks

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years

thanks for your reply looks like i wasted my £400 also, wondering if anyone with this unit got the same problem as I have not try mine out yet .[/QUOTE]

Hi 1948

Don't be too hasty and give it a try as there have been several on this forum who have used Snooper who have not had problems & speak highly of it.
I can only speak from my own experience

OP
OP
MrJinks

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
update

Things still pretty good here. Weather still sunny & fairly warm....20c most afternoons.

Have met many friendly people here however many heading back now to UK and very worried how they are going to manage through France. Some have changed bookings to Santander but that is now full until 2 Nov. Others moving off with several 8L water bottles full of diesel :Eeek: Yes they know it is illegal and very dangerous but they obviously need to get back to UK and daren't take the risk of getting stuck with no fuel. Hope they manage safely.

Have been told that Camping Salata in Rosas has been filling up as it is the last campsite open this side of the French border. we were thinking of going there next week when this site closes however, the forecast shows it getting colder next week so maybe move south a bit when we move.

Hope all of you coming from UK next week manage ok.

Bit of fuel for the gassing debate. We stayed at campsite in Saumur on way down. A couple from France staying here now were there a few days after us and claimed that while they were there, 3 vans were broken into and robbed on same night and the occupants were definately GASSED with laughing gas. The police apparantly confirmed it as another site had been targeted the previous night. Not eye witnesses I am afraid but first hand knowledge :thumb:

Happy Travels

Attachments

• Camping Les Medes.jpg
    Camping Les Medes.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 19
  • L'Estartit Seafront.jpg
    L'Estartit Seafront.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 18
OP
OP
MrJinks

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
Just thought I would post pic of these fulltimers RV.

Onsite here in L'Estartit. Young Irish couple living in this on their way down to ...WEST AFRICA :Eeek:

Incredible eh? Even got an upstairs bedroom. They normally wildcamp but are onsite for a couple of days to do washing etc.

They have been travelling round Germany now en-route through Spain to Morocco and down west coast of Africa through Mauritania, Senegal, Gambia and Guinea. They work wherever they can.

Brave or what . We wish them well :thumb:

Attachments

• DSCF4251.jpg
    DSCF4251.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCF4253.jpg
    DSCF4253.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 26
OP
OP
MrJinks

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
I am afraid the rest of my mini blog fell by the wayside due to a certain Mrs Jinks knocking the laptop off the table while prowling around the van.:Doh: This resulted in a smashed screen....so no computer till arriving home yesterday.

The rest of our trip was a great success and really made us sure that we want to continue this asap for much longer durations.

We decided against moving further south when Les Medes closed as the weather had been beautiful so just travelled 30 miles up to Camping Salata in Roses. Really lovely site with big pitches and just 200 yards from the beach and promenade. Only downside was no WiFi except in the bar. Still as it happens ...we didn't need it :Eeek: Weather stayed fantastic until our last day (7/11), touching 28c in shade on one day.

Changed our minds about visiting Rhineland this time to stay a bit longer in the sun, so travelled straight back to Calais with a couple of stops in Aires. First time for us and both excellent, free and nearly full !! One on the riverbank about 50 miles north of Clermont Ferrand and 2nd night on canal side very close to Epernay. No pics as it was raining both mornings. Rained most of the journey home including snow on Massif Central

Bit rough over the Channel yesterday ...Mrs Jinks not impressed :RollEyes:

Start planning next trip :thumb:

Attachments

• Camping Salata, Roses.jpg
    Camping Salata, Roses.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 12
  • Roses.jpg
    Roses.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 11
  • Roses Harbour.jpg
    Roses Harbour.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 12