Free Member
Mar 28, 2010
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
A Beastie
Exp
Since July 2010
I wasn't sure whether to put this in pets or continental touring but here goes. What kind of response have people had on European campsites if you have dogs with you?
So far we've stayed on a flea pit site in Calais, a fab site in Ypres (Belgium) both of which just expected you to clean after your dog if necessary but there were plenty of places to walk them anyway.
The other 2 sites we've stayed at this week - again in Belgium, say dogs allowed but then they expect you to physically remove said animal from the site and god help you if it so much as sniffs a tree let alones wee's up it on your way through. I do get where they're coming from but you try getting a dog through a site when it needs to go. I always pick up after my dog which seems really alien to Belgian's and they just leave dog poo everywhere. :Sad:
We're heading to Germany tomorrow, then Austria and Italy. If this is what we have to look forward to I think I may be looking for a remote plot in the furthest reaches of Scotland where our only neighbours are sheep.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
[If this is what we have to look forward to I think I may be looking for a remote plot in the furthest reaches of Scotland where our only neighbours are sheep.[/QUOTE]

Then if your dogs are like our two Border terriers , you'll have to stop them either rolling in , or eating sheep poo :Eeek:::bigsmile:

Griffs

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
SOUTH WALES
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2007
I wasn't sure whether to put this in pets or continental touring but here goes. What kind of response have people had on European campsites if you have dogs with you?
So far we've stayed on a flea pit site in Calais, a fab site in Ypres (Belgium) both of which just expected you to clean after your dog if necessary but there were plenty of places to walk them anyway.
The other 2 sites we've stayed at this week - again in Belgium, say dogs allowed but then they expect you to physically remove said animal from the site and god help you if it so much as sniffs a tree let alones wee's up it on your way through. I do get where they're coming from but you try getting a dog through a site when it needs to go. I always pick up after my dog which seems really alien to Belgian's and they just leave dog poo everywhere. :Sad:
We're heading to Germany tomorrow, then Austria and Italy. If this is what we have to look forward to I think I may be looking for a remote plot in the furthest reaches of Scotland where our only neighbours are sheep.

We take our g.s.d. to Spain with us no problem in fact in Benicasim the site provides dog baths hot and cold etc, which is where we will be for the next month.:Cool::Cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 21, 2008
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
Dogs

We take our two Gsds to Spain and we hav'nt ever had any problems but some people who have older dogs who can't make it to the dog walk have to carry them of the site or leave {El Raco}.If you are responsible dog owners there is'nt much of a problem where ever you are.:thumb:

Deleted User
We take our g.s.d. to Spain with us no problem in fact in Benicasim the site provides dog baths hot and cold etc, which is where we will be for the next month.:Cool::Cool:

Hi Griffs
We have taken our dog to france, spain belgium, portugal and germany. No problems anywhere. Have only had to show its passport once and that was at a dutch owned site in france.

regards spongy

OP
OP
ninjayorkies

ninjayorkies

Free Member
Mar 28, 2010
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
A Beastie
Exp
Since July 2010
Hmmm I must have just picked 2 picky sites. My eldest dog is tiny and 15 so she doesn't walk very well so I usually just let her on the grass outside the van but I always pick up after her if need be.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Dog poo on the streets is bad in France.. and nearly every French motorhome has a dog so generally no problems on sites but many sites charge per dog.. best to stick with aires ..

Jun 15, 2010
glasgow
Funster No
MH
banger autotrail
Exp
rottie in germany

just back from sausage land went down to Constance then finished up in cologne. pashed it down for three weeks had people shouting from car when out with dog. i take it was abuse .the same a few times when passing me on their bikes. and so on.you would think it was abu hamza who was on the end of the leash.so no more Germany for me. had a couple of good nights in France i think the dog should have been wearing a muzzle but i didnae have one. one cop gave her a clap at the Arie in Calais. and she scrounged a bit of scran from a couple of near by vans. also stopped at ostend where people seemed OK with abu.

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
Our Toby has got his pet passport today, can't wait till next year, going to try the tunnel with tesco vouchers, not sure yet which countries we are going to, mainly use aires.
what countries are best? i know france like dogs as have seen them sat at restaurants

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Ezzie is loved everywhere she goes

Ezzie is lovered all over Europe, who does not love a big old St Bernard. Never had any problems, just asked to make sure we clean up any mess.. which we always do... for us it is a carrier bag not a poch bag... But we have found the French the best with dogs they seem to love them as much as we do.

Bob:RollEyes:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
how much does a pet passport cost, we have three scotty dogs and would like to do europe soon. Would it be cheaper to just get them put to sleep?

PP, all in , about £200 per dog .. yes much cheaper to put to sleep .. I trust that was a joke

cookingfat

Free Member
Apr 25, 2010
British West Hartlepool
Funster No
Exp
brand new
We have three dogs, therefore we could afford to obtain a passport for two, I suppose we'll put there names in a hat to see who get the oneway ride to the vets.

Thanks

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Laneside

Blimey I am sure you are joking but not knowing you I worry.

Just in case you are not then I really hope your wife puts your name in the same hat

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back