Why did you buy a USRV ? (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
The signature form a member who owns an RV ..

If we had to explain you would not understand

Having owned one for five years I know why we purchased one .. we needed the space and payload for full time... Now that episode has ended so too did our need for a large RV and we have sold it. I personally wouldn't have bought it otherwise.

So, imagine you are a salesman in an RV dealership .. now sell one to Mr and Mrs Sceptical who think it is too big and too expensive to run.

Or is it really as Bob says in his signature.. inexplicable ?

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I only know why I bought my first RV,I think people buy them for completly different reasons,mine was.
The first RV was a Rockwood Beachwood 33ft with the Cummins 5.9 diesel,I bought it for mainly 2 reasons,firstly becouse I neaded the space and payload for long term travel,as that was what I was doing at the time...trips lasting at least 6 months,then home for a month and then another 6 month trip. Secondly,it was the reliability of the Cummins engine.
I ran this RV for 5 years and then sold it without losing to much.
I then bought the one I have now wich is the Tiffin Allegro,same running gear as the Rockwood,but with a better layout for me,I didnt like the dinette in the Rockwood,and still dont like dinettes,I think they take up to much living space,but thats only my opinion.
I continued to long term travel in my Tiffin which is 2 foot shorter than the Rockwood,I know that doesnt sound much,butit means I can use most campsites and can book ferries at 8 metres:winky:.
My cercumstances have changed a little over the last couple of years,so I have complemented the RV with a Euro sized van which I use for touring and short stays.I realy like the flexability of the Euro van,being able to park anywhere and it just comes in at 5 metres so can book ferries as a car.
I did think of selling the RV butthen thought for what I would get for it now am as well keeping it just for the odd long trip and to take the grandchildren away for the odd week.It dosnt owe me anything now,as its been well used by me,and I think that I would have now lost about £10000 over the last 11 years RVing all over Europe and North Africa,so in real terms its cost less than £20 per week pluss running costs,cheep hollidays.:thumb:
IMO unless you have the time to spend in them as I have done for almost 11 years,retiring young,they are a waste of money,stay with a Euro van untill you retire,then go the whole hog and fulltime...But as I said before...Thats only my opinion.
My RVs have cost no more to run than Euro vans as both have happily run on biofuels costing much less than fossil fuel.If I had to run them on diesel at UK prices,I would never have bought one in the first place.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Having hired RVs for holidays in the US and at that time having a 33ft twin screw cruiser on the broads we wanted to widen our travel horizons.
We compared space facilities and costs of RVs and euro mhomes and for us there was no comparison. Although more expensive to run the RV offered home from home comforts, at our age we really didn't wan't to rough it and climbing into overcabs and over each other or making the bed every night was not an attraction.
We recently reviewed our situation and compared RVs again with the likes of Carthago etc before downsizing our RV and still considered they did not compare favourably with the value for money package of space, comfort and facilities offered by the american RVs.
Fuel economy must be considered but with the lpg conversion our RV returns the equivalent of 24mpg. The capital cost of the conversion I consider to be part of the initial purchase as would be so when paying extra to buy a diesel powered car for its extra economy.
I consider the RV plus points to be:- Extra living space with slideouts. Substantial fresh, grey and black holding tanks. Large fridge freezer . On board genny. Walk round bed. Quality individual paint finish. Quality heating and aircon. Rear wheel drive for traction. Stacks of storage space. Solid quality standard of build.
:thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
We bought our first RV to use for scuba diving and to tow the boat. It was a 20 year old Chevy and we used and abused it to the max!!

After many hours of looking at Euroboxes and then finding out they didnt have the power to pull the skin off a rice pudding never mind carry anything heavier than a toilet roll I came across the old Chevy for £5k. Have over a tonne of payload (just about enough for the diving gear and compressor!!!) and pulled the boat like it wasnt there.

The perfect vehicle for our needs, it was a bit rough round the edges and the inside was dated but over the 5 years we had it we totally refitted the inside, fitted solar panels, an LPG conversion, bigger water tanks (the shower was great after a days diving in the North Sea!!) and had it painted. Sold it after 5 years and make £3k on top of what we bought it for.

I still miss the old girl and have had several newer RVs since but they were almost new and we were frightened of breaking or scratching something so never felt as much "At Home" as we did in the old Chevy that we just used!!

Ive looked at lots of Euroboxes over the years and wouldnt consider buying one, they are underpowered, too small, have a crap payload and built to a weight limit of the base vehicle. I found our B+ Coachmen Concord to be the best compromise but would buy the 2 slide 27` model next time as the kitchen was a bit restricted on the 30` 3 slide model we had.

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Having lived in the US and always had american cars I guess buying a RV was inevitable.

My wife dosn't really like motor homes (finds them claustrophobic) so I needed slide outs and if I am honest I prefer space, it also gave me the load, towing capacity and power I wanted, as for the running costs, I will cover possibly 5,000 miles a year 12-15mpg, you are only here once so enjoy it while you can, there may come a time through health or other reasons I may not be able to renew my HGV licence, so then a re-think, for now though I am going to enjoy it, we use and intend to continue using it long weekends about twice a month.

Another reason for buying it, I am a workaholic and it was the only way I was going to get out of the office.

All the best Rick.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
My reasons are the simplest of all
Pammy TOLD me too:whatthe:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I thought I had already posted this but here we go again:Smile:Am I dreaming did it disappear?

Mine was simple in 2005 I was still well off although been caring for dad for 5 years and I had just purchased my 2nd new Kia Sorento (tow car of the year at the time) and the all new Series 5 Bailey Senator Louisiana, the island bed one. Anyway a few months into owning to we her were out with Bruno and saw another bridle Great Dane like Bruno but a bitch taking a real beating so I went up to the bloke and told him to cut it out, anyway Irina waded in as well and before I knew it had bought Amy for £500.

Back to the caravan and 30mstone and 8wheel drive saw to furniture literally moving away from where it should be so panic stations.

I went to Dudleys and came home thinking if they are that expensive for old tat we can never afford one.

Well back onto Scotjimlands forum (our Jim and starter of this thread) and talking on there to JSW and another of the mods on there convinced me to go to search around. I found one in the States with slide but was shocked when I went to view it out there) now at the time the width issue was raging and stories of em being sent back from the docks and so on for being over 100 inches.
Now I am the dealer out there started to do the auctions but I soon discovered that Tommy the dealer although in his 70s was women MAD!! another one every night and to be honest embarrassing as I was till fairly happily married so only the first 50% of the auctions stock was looked at before his mind wandered onto his conquest for night (he had a huge black book). This left me in problem as I had my tape measure and trying to measure RVs was a real pain as he kept wandering of to speak to his women so decided on a 96 inch body as a tester RV and bought the one I still have now as once home we liked it and the furniture so solid it was dog proof. I hated the front end and still do but 5 years on an just about everything done including a wonderful LPG conversion and here I am done 15000miles in her mostly towing a toad. Each time I say I am going to sell it get to it turn the key and I love it again.

Some will already know I have 2 caravans as well now, one a roadside purchase and a really lovely old Avondale and was fine for me but with Bruno now ageing as he insists on sleeping next to me woke up each morning virtually unable to walk (that's Bruno and me::bigsmile:) so out about 6 weeks ago and was going to look for new leathers for my bike and went past the local Bailey caravan showroom and they were bulging with caravans anyway a quick look and there was the perfect van for us a Compass L shaped lounge for Bruno and a good end bathroom for me and a perfect van to tow Behind my Volvo estate, I am the moment are so stretched financially I can tell you, one reason why the theft of my genny hurt more.

The RV is heavy on fuel trudging up hill out of Wales to every meet and and nearly 400 to 500 mile round trip to all the funster shows and even on cheap LPG that I can get here breaking the bank to keep her plus I had a personal reason at the time.

So Snowy came to the rescue and suggested I keep it with him more centrally which has proved a winner as never to far to go and mainly level ground so doing much better on fuel.

Should I sell it YES will I ?

After 5 years know all the downsides of RV in the UK and there’s plenty but would I buy one again? probably not now as out of my system and also its just Bruno and I now.

I have loved owning it and would have done it all over again if time was reversed

In also at the time bought a Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 V8 which was a beast to and I had it wonderfully LPG to now gone though:Sad:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
The signature form a member who owns an RV .. Having owned one for five years I know why we purchased one .. we needed the space and payload for full time... Now that episode has ended so too did our need for a large RV and we have sold it. I personally wouldn't have bought it otherwise. So, imagine you are a salesman in an RV dealership .. now sell one to Mr and Mrs Sceptical who think it is too big and too expensive to run.
Or is it really as Bob says in his signature.. inexplicable ?

If I had more free time today I would volunteer to take the part of the sceptical’s. I can understand having an RV if you are a travailing celeb sports person or may be full timer but to use it for standard motor home duties makes it a bit of a Ridicules Vehicle in my mind a bit ott:Smile:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
If I had more free time today I would volunteer to take the part of the sceptical’s.:

lets hope you find some free time Mr Sceptical ::bigsmile:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
If I had more free time today I would volunteer to take the part of the sceptical’s. I can understand having an RV if you are a travailing celeb sports person or may be full timer but to use it for standard motor home duties makes it a bit of a Ridicules Vehicle in my mind a bit ott:Smile:
Im afraid your argument is seriously flawed you seem to own a VW:Eeek: whats wrong with a bongo sized Van it does exactly the same as your grossly oversized (at least twice) Vehicle:Doh:
Let thee without sin throw the first stone:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
I had a v4 bike and a V6 car.. I just had to keep going :ROFLMAO:

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
FUN:thumb:

We jumped into this game with the old Dodge on a complete whim, no research and no planning and totally fell in love with motorhoming in general and the old Dodge and therefore RVs.

Motorhoming in general, well we find all types interesting irrespective of size or country of origin, from the smallest Romahome to the HUGE yank coaches, though it's unlikely we'd own either as neither appeal, we like a bit of space. We had a distinct idea of what we wanted after Dodge and discovering the 28RC (28ft) Winne Brave it became a must have, pure indulgance as there's just me, the wife and our little Westie, but it's the toy factor I think with us. Some people buy with thier head, some thier heart and most somewhere sencibly between, we're daft and go more with heart and a little bit of head:ROFLMAO:

That said our 'life plans' have been changing recently which will likely see the practical side of Winne come into her own. That said, our recent golly to Wales we winged it, ie no plan and just headed out, OK found some narrow bits but tootled about all over the Gower and a bit beyond having a great time and finding places to park and wander just like what small mhs do:ROFLMAO: :thumb:Mind you we did get the odd funny look:Eeek: As usuall our only problems on the road, two in fact, were with other drivers with know idea how to place thier vehicle or ability to judge the width of thier vehicle but hey, we made it:Eeek:

Winne suits us, she's a complete indulgance for the two of us but we wouldn't change her for now and likely as not we'll stick with RVs, be it MH or 5ver though I do fancy a little PVC as well as a day van/daft weekends away:thumb:

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Mr & Mrs Skeptical are now leaving the showroom :Doh:

:roflmto:

Yup, forgot that part of your question, and frankley I don't think I could come up with an argument for, I think it one of thse you either like them or not, so maybe Bob's got a point?

Waffling on, our Winne isn't your average RV in that she is a little narrower than some and a little lower and 28ft tip to toe and one consistent comment we get from Euro owners is she's a nice size, not to big but with the Yank space, that and don't let the wife/husband in there she'll/he'll want one:ROFLMAO:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
If I had to explain you would not understand

As my signature says... if I had to explain you would not understand::bigsmile:... that is so true I even have it on the passenger side of the RV down low on the locker.. but that in a way sums it up.

We started with a Merc Glendale C class.. great had a real good time in a very slow, plastic box on wheels... We went from that to 30' RV ..Dodge Titan by Champion with a V8 .. boy could that eat fuel. But sold it, biggest mistake I have ever made.. still regret it even all these years on. Could not afford to run it then.

Had various yanks like cars and Day Vans and when it came time to buy the current RV it never even crossed my mind to buy a eurobox.

We had the money to buy almost any size as long as it was under the 7.5 tons. The budget was £30k and some for doing the work.. oh hell alright the budget was £40k.

Size really decided the Winnebago Aspect..(23'9") being able to park it on the drive and plug in to our own 240 volts.. to be able to open the door and leave it secure on the drive or as today fit the new mirror just outside the front door. But said that we looked for 18 months. Over the 29' we would have had to pay storage.

Would I have purchased it now? no I would have gone for the 27' or even up to 29' (the largest I can get on the drive) but instead of one slide out I would have gone for two or three if I could have got it in the budget. I am so glad we went for the slide out, makes a lot of differance to room.

I stole this RV at £28k and despite spending £14k on all the goodies I still have much more than any eurobox can offer for the money. The yanks know how to load a vehicle and I druel more than Ezzie does over the parts book.:winky:

But I have a home away from home, all the mod cons.. I am talking real tv sets at 26" being able to run an air con in the hot weather in France. To use a real 1700 watt microwave.. A real toilet and shower,,, the water tanks and black and grey tanks.. Being well built people .. I said well built not large... plus having a large (yes large) dog the Winnibago is just the job for us.

Who ever gets my baby one day will have the ideal rig.. small enough to get on to all the pitches yet big enough to know they have arrived. Owning a yank is that..arriving at the best of all worlds... sorry euroboxes.. have a look in some RV's at shows or come and see ours or Ricks and his Holiday Rambler .. yes it is very nice Rick..want one, or Bryans Trail lite or any of the other owners ..including the 5th wheelers like Bill's (landy Lover) You will soon see why we say.. If we had to explain you would not understand.

Seeing it will explain I am sure.

Bob:thumb:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Took me a minute:Doh:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

And just in case PVC equalling Panel Van Conversion

Ahhh,
images
not this kind then:winky:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Im afraid your argument is seriously flawed you seem to own a VW:Eeek: whats wrong with a bongo sized Van it does exactly the same as your grossly oversized (at least twice) Vehicle:Doh:
Let thee without sin throw the first stone:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I must confess that I have pangs of guilt but then I see one of these monsters blocking the sun from the camper’s solar panels and stopping the wind turbines from rotating and I feel morally cleansed of all guilt. :Smile:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004

Not so, we don't live in a box at home so definately wouldn't live in a box for pleasure. :Doh:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
you forgot to mention the generator sounds as well?

I must confess that I have pangs of guilt but then I see one of these monsters blocking the sun from the camper’s solar panels and stopping the wind turbines from rotating and I feel morally cleansed of all guilt. :Smile:

Morally cleansed of guilt??????? ... sounds a bit more like being jealousy to me:Blush: You forgot to mention the noise from the generator as well:winky:

Bob:thumb:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
not dreaming .. it did disappear,,:Eeek:

I am going through a very stupid time at present so could well have been me. I seem to get into all kinds of
scrapes being like this at the moment:Doh:

I most certainly did not got to the top and do a delete (who know what I possibly did:winky:)

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004

Not so, our RV and other b and c class rvs are about the same height as most euro vans :Smile:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Me too:thumb:
When the only person with his awning out in the wind
Is the one upside me, using me as a wind break:Doh:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Sorry should have said the only 3 people upside of me:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Long term plan now is to keep the newer caravan and RV and in a couple of years maybe Bruno wont be a big factor and my finances should be better then and will sell the lot and buy a euro van similar to a Pilote/hymer.

My mobilty is my biggest worry now as still have ongoing foot problems.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
What I did notice whilst travelling in Europe was when told by Europeans that the RV was much to big, I always asked if they had a HGV licence.
They always replied NO...I know that in Europe they do not have the same grandfather rights that we in the UK have, re 7.5 tons. They have always had the 3.5 ton limit on there licence. We had to change here in the UK to come into line with Europe. Just maybe there is a moral in that fact!!!.
One other thing I noticed,when we used to be able to park on the beaches in Spain and the Germans arived with what they thought was a large European MH,they would ne ver park close to a yank becouse it made there camper look smaller.Which to my mind was a bonus of owning an RV:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
What I have noticed is most things that are allowed in the UK and not allowed in Europe they change to suit them...normaly for the worse, Aframes and Spanish LPG spring to mind.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
What I have noticed is most things that are allowed in the UK and not allowed in Europe they change to suit them...normaly for the worse, Aframes and Spanish LPG spring to mind.

Thanks Dave that gets me on both counts :Doh::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
.If I had to run them on diesel at UK prices,I would never have bought one in the first place.

I consider the RV plus points to be:- Extra living space with slideouts. Substantial fresh, grey and black holding tanks. Large fridge freezer . On board genny. Walk round bed. Quality individual paint finish. Quality heating and aircon. Rear wheel drive for traction. Stacks of storage space. Solid quality standard of build.
:thumb::thumb:

We bought our first RV to use for scuba diving and to tow the boat.

Another reason for buying it, I am a workaholic and it was the only way I was going to get out of the office.

All the best Rick.

I had a v4 bike and a V6 car.. I just had to keep going :ROFLMAO:

frankley I don't think I could come up with an argument for,

As my signature says... if I had to explain you would not understand::bigsmile:... that is so true:

Mr & Mrs Skeptical are not convinced by any of these arguments ... they were last seen heading for Brownhills ... :cry:

You are all fired :ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back