Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
Hi,

Yesterday we settled on a Winnebago Minnie Winnie 32G, just got to pay the deposit this week and sell the Elnagh.

I have always loved the idea of owning a Winnebago, can't wait to get it.::bigsmile:

Must get to some shows and rallies next year.

Cheers
Gary and Cathy

OP
OP
Toffs-G

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
we just moved on up to an rv a few weeks ago.

you wont regret it :thumb:

Great:thumb:

I can't tell you how much we are looking forward to it, look forward to seeing you en-route some time:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We are now on our third RV and for us its the only way , we love it :thumb::thumb:

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
I been thinking about one, but the boss is worried about fuel consumption I currently get around 28 mpg with the Transitand the 5.9 diesels only do about 15 or 16 thats a downer :cry::cry::cry::cry:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I been thinking about one, but the boss is worried about fuel consumption I currently get around 28 mpg with the Transitand the 5.9 diesels only do about 15 or 16 thats a downer :cry::cry::cry::cry:
My 5.9 turbo intercooled Cummins is doing between 16 and 18 MPG depending on the run,load etc.
The cummins runs happily on biodiesel,so in real cost terms its doing 64 to 72 MPG,bio costing 30p per litre to produce.
American RVs dont nead to cost the earth to run if you do your homework.

OP
OP
Toffs-G

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009

The Minnie Winnie has a Ford 6.8l V10 petrol so I am sure it knows how to guzzle:Eeek:, we will see how it goes and maybe have an LPG conversion although that rules out using the Eurotunnel which we prefer - decisions decisions

Griffs

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
SOUTH WALES
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2007
rv

Hi,

Yesterday we settled on a Winnebago Minnie Winnie 32G, just got to pay the deposit this week and sell the Elnagh.

I have always loved the idea of owning a Winnebago, can't wait to get it.::bigsmile:

Cheers
Gary and Cathy[/QUOTE

Hi.

We are on our third rv and love them ,ours has been converted to run on gas and we find
there is little difference in mpg than the large europeans plus with the slide-out makes a huge difference with room.

When we had a diesel c class rv it was getting around 17 mpg , we are taking ours down to Spain on Thursday for a month ,plenty of room for spending longer times in plus being able to carry extras without the worry of overloading,you will enjoy it.:thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
Toffs-G

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
Hi,

Cheers
Gary and Cathy[/QUOTE

Hi.

We are on our third rv and love them ,ours has been converted to run on gas and we find
there is little difference in mpg than the large europeans plus with the slide-out makes a huge difference with room.

When we had a diesel c class rv it was getting around 17 mpg , we are taking ours down to Spain on Thursday for a month ,plenty of room for spending longer times in plus being able to carry extras without the worry of overloading,you will enjoy it.:thumb::thumb:

Hi,

Down to Spain for a month sounds great, we are already loosley planning a trip down to South of France or Spain end of Jan early Feb to have a break in the winter.

Can't wait to get out in her and put all the bits to good use:thumb: Plenty of room for us to spread out and when my wifes parents come over form China room for us all

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
15 mpg including the generator

We get around 15 mpg overall with running a generator a lot at the shows.

But has your transit got:

26 galls of water on board?

holding tanks for black and grey water that means no trips to an elsan dump for a long weekend?

Can you run a microwave - 1700 watts and cook anything in it or the convection oven part of it?

Watch a real TV on 240 mains via an Invertor that puts out 1500 watts - without the generator running.

What about a 4 kw generator? or 1600 BTU hot air heater?

A real bathroom with a real toilet and a show that is big enough to swing a cat about in?

Press a button and the room extends out to make it far more comfortable?

Oh yes does that transit run all day at 1800 revs doing 55 mph .. the cruise control, the automatic transmission, the air con in the cab as well as the back end.

The list goes on and on... once you have a yank you will never go back to a eurobox..

As the Honda advert says.. what's the point of having a dream if you do not live it?

I am pleased to see another Winnebago on the road with this group. There are a lot of us yanks out there, look at an of the shows and you see not one or two, but dozens and dozens these days. Perhaps they know something you do not?

as I say in my signature.. if we had to explain you would never understand... that is until you own an RV..

Go for it.. life is here but once..:Eeek:

Bob

ehuplad

Free Member
Feb 9, 2009
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby 600
Exp

Not as big a issue as you think :Eeek::Eeek:

If your european does say 25 to the gallon and your RV does 15

Over a year 5000 miles this is just £470 extra nothing for the extra space and Luxury.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
so are you back or still down in the sun?

Hi,

Cheers
Gary and Cathy[/QUOTE

Hi.

So are you back in the UK or still in the sun Clive/Rihan.. Not seen any posts from you until this one today.

Bob / Sue / Ezzie .. the other Aspect:thumb:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
That is right

Over a year 5000 miles this is just £470 extra nothing for the extra space and Luxury.

It is a case of what you get verse the cost.. Yes we look around for cheaper fuel, but I do that in the car as well. But in the RV you get so much extra value that you would soon understand why you have to pay more for the fuel.. but then we can haul a ton of goods more than most europeans motor homes.

No contest as far as I am concerned.

Bob:thumb:

Griffs

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
SOUTH WALES
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2007
not yet gone

So are you back in the UK or still in the sun Clive/Rihan.. Not seen any posts from you until this one today.

Bob / Sue / Ezzie .. the other Aspect:thumb:

Hi Bob, Sue & Ezzie,

Not yet gone. As per usual, us sad saps still on the full time working grind, we're in last minute panic mode, fitted in with work; so haven't had much chance to unwind & catch up with reading posts. Also will take this opportunity to thank you & Frankie re the vets. She is at the moment trying to schedule us in for an appointment a day later than we intended to return due too the Monday being a Bank Holiday. If it hadn't been for Frankie we wouldn't have known that & one day longer of a holiday is not really too much of a burden.

So due to leave at the end of the week, which is about right if you saw the Welsh weather at the start of the Ryder Cup.

Clive & Rhian ( & the german 4 legs)
:thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland

few, if any petrol Rvs get more than 10 mpg , converted to LPG the mpg is less .. about 8mpg .. Diesel RV 12-14 mpg

Cost per mile Petrol = 51p, over 5,000 ml = £2550

Cost per mile LPG = 39p, over 5,000 ml = £1950

Cost per mile Diesel = 36p, over 5,000 ml = £1800

Diesel Motorhome doing 25 mpg = 20.5p per mile , cost for 5,000 ml = £1025

An LPG conversion costs about £3k .. on the above figures it will be six years or 30,000 miles before pay back .

Harveyx

Free Member
Jul 13, 2008
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
RV versus Eurobox

I had 2.8 td Fiat before the RV 8.1 petrol/autogas V8 and on the same 250 mile trip in both vans there was only approx £20 fuel difference running the rv on gas.
No comparison in comfort in my opinion well worth the extra. My diesel fiat only returned about 23 mpg if you drove sensible, less if you had to hurry.

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
I don't care what it doe's to the gallon, I like my RV, I like the Comfort, I like the space and I like it's carrying and towing capacity.

I guess I like it.

And guess what you will like yours ENJOY.

Rick and Rosie.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The Minnie Winnie has a Ford 6.8l V10 petrol so I am sure it knows how to guzzle:Eeek:,

not as scary ar you may think....see bottom of post

We get around 15 mpg overall with running a generator a lot at the shows.

But has your transit got:

26 galls of water on board?

holding tanks for black and grey water that means no trips to an elsan dump for a long weekend?

Can you run a microwave - 1700 watts and cook anything in it or the convection oven part of it?

Watch a real TV on 240 mains via an Invertor that puts out 1500 watts - without the generator running.

What about a 4 kw generator? or 1600 BTU hot air heater?

A real bathroom with a real toilet and a show that is big enough to swing a cat about in? :thumb:

Press a button and the room extends out to make it far more comfortable?:thumb:

Oh yes does that transit run all day at 1800 revs doing 55 mph .. the cruise control, the automatic transmission, the air con in the cab as well as the back end. :thumb:

:Eeek:

Bob

and a 6 GALLON water heater...none of this "have a quick shower" 15ltr stuff.

few, if any petrol Rvs get more than 10 mpg , converted to LPG the mpg is less .. about 8mpg .. Diesel RV 12-14 mpg

Cost per mile Petrol = 51p, over 5,000 ml = £2550

Cost per mile LPG = 39p, over 5,000 ml = £1950

Cost per mile Diesel = 36p, over 5,000 ml = £1800

Diesel Motorhome doing 25 mpg = 20.5p per mile , cost for 5,000 ml = £1025

An LPG conversion costs about £3k .. on the above figures it will be six years or 30,000 miles before pay back .

Triton 6.8ltr V10 pulling a 7500kg RV = approx 10mpg on petrol and approx 8.4mpg on LPG...but with lpg at around 60p per liter thats around 16mpg...cost wise.

my old 3ltr V6 toyota camry was hard pushed to see that milage:cry:

if you can, then buy with an lpg conversion already fitted...let someone else take the hit on it !

OP
OP
Toffs-G

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
To be honest I am not overly fussed on the MPG we are buying because of the comfort and space and facilities that come with it, we like creature comforts and feel that the Minnie Winnie is going to be more of a home from home.

If it means we drive a little slower to and from destinations to save on a bit fuel then that can only be a good thing, looking at these posts on how much you all enjoy your RV's i think we are in for a really good time::bigsmile: and look forward to meeting many of you on our travels:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
To be honest I am not overly fussed on the MPG we are buying because of the comfort and space and facilities that come with it, we like creature comforts and feel that the Minnie Winnie is going to be more of a home from home.

If it means we drive a little slower to and from destinations to save on a bit fuel then that can only be a good thing, looking at these posts on how much you all enjoy your RV's i think we are in for a really good time::bigsmile: and look forward to meeting many of you on our travels:thumb:

it came as a shock to me to find i CAN drive at 52/53mph on a motorway.

at this speed i get 8.4mpg on gas but i reckon at 70mph it will drop to 5mpg or less.

131ltr lpg = 245miles...first tank full so a lot of checking/recording to go yet.

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
l too am not over fussed about mpg. Thats why l bought an RV. The comfort and space far outweigh the worrying about fuel costs. Its sheer enjoyment.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back