Hookup Tripping (1 Viewer)

belka

Free Member
Sep 27, 2010
north shields,tyne and we
Funster No
Exp
1 month
:Angry:well heres our first question, the leisure battery, been out at weekend on hook up. electric tripped 30 0dd times, all we had on was the fire and fridge,sat with one light on most of the time cos it was using all the power in the battery, no telly. when we awoke we put fire on, tripped straight away, only had the fridge on, spoilt the weekend, what are we doing wrong? any advice please

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
:Angry:well heres our first question, the leisure battery, been out at weekend on hook up. electric tripped 30 0dd times, all we had on was the fire and fridge,sat with one light on most of the time cos it was using all the power in the battery, no telly. when we awoke we put fire on, tripped straight away, only had the fridge on, spoilt the weekend, what are we doing wrong? any advice please

Hi , welcome

to answer we need two pieces of info

* what size of hook up were you on and

* what size fire (in kw or amps) ?

OP
OP
B

belka

Free Member
Sep 27, 2010
Funster No
Exp
1 month
hi scotjimland, the lady on site said it was 10 amps,cant seen in the book about the fire re the amps or kw. the fire is a trumatic S 3002. its a new MH and the fire works fine off gas.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I once had an embarrassing problem with tripping out leccy and I had my water heater on and not taking it into account.

On 10 amp you should not have to slum it

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
hi scotjimland, the lady on site said it was 10 amps,cant seen in the book about the fire re the amps or kw. the fire is a trumatic S 3002. its a new MH and the fire works fine off gas.

Hi

Most UK ehu are 16A, but with the cost of leccy rising , rather than increase fees some sites are now only giving 10A.. it also stops people abusing it ...
It is a bit meagre but can be managed if you are careful

10A is equal to 2.3 kw ..

I think the Truma is about 2kw , if so it was using nearly all the available power .. fridge + TV + charger, and as John suggested, you may have had the water heater on , this would be more than 10A

it's a bit of a learning curve juggling what power is available and what you are using .. check and make a list of all electrical equipment and write down what each uses .. you will soon learn..

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
a suggestion for the next outing....

when the hookup is working ok make a note of what you turn on (boiler etc) and plug into the vans sockets and if it trips dont use that item or turn off other appliances while it is being used.

something like a domestic kettle (2kw/8.5amps) will trip 10amps with the charger and fridge also turned on.

your boiler, on mains leccy, may also trip the hookup depending how powerful it is.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
How is your lead? Checked for a loose wire? Get you appliances safety checked too - just to make sure nothing is loose or faulty!

OP
OP
B

belka

Free Member
Sep 27, 2010
Funster No
Exp
1 month
garry got up in the morning, only the fridge was on hook up, he tried to put the fire on and it tripped! surely you can have more power than that, like you say we are going to have to write down the kw of everything we use and see what happens. thank you for your help

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
garry got up in the morning, only the fridge was on hook up, he tried to put the fire on and it tripped! surely you can have more power than that,

I just checked, it is 2kw, so on full power it is using 8.7 Amps

Better to use the Truma on gas when on a low power EHU .. ie less tha 16A ,

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
garry got up in the morning, only the fridge was on hook up, he tried to put the fire on and it tripped! surely you can have more power than that, like you say we are going to have to write down the kw of everything we use and see what happens. thank you for your help
if there was no 'hidden' appliance running without you realising (boiler etc) then it sounds like you have a problem.
as rainbow said...check your hookup lead for tight terminals and lead damage.

if its ok then get the van checked out by a qualified electrical technician.

it may have been a faulty hookup post breaker of course and if you'd tried a different post it may have been ok..

harryoxford2

Free Member
Sep 14, 2010
Bishops Stortford Herts
Funster No
MH
B
Exp
2010 and camper all my life
its a learning curve,

As an experienced RVer of some 21 days now Im getting to be an expert on alot of things. I am so glad I didnt rush out and buy stuff and get it wrong.
Im having a spot of bother with electrics but I think its down to the batterys being stood for 4 years unused...sulfation.
Interesting to see your comments though as it hadnt dawned on me that Im limited to what I can use.
Bang goes the home cinema, washing machine and dryer slow cooker, heater or air con fridge, gas sensors , charger, and disco lights.....

I may have to invest in a 20foot solar panel trailer just to be safe. Although I still have room for more panels on the front, rear, and sides....why dont they make motorhomes out of solar panels?

Just rambling to myself....

watching this thread with interest...

Harry

harryoxford2

Free Member
Sep 14, 2010
Bishops Stortford Herts
Funster No
MH
B
Exp
2010 and camper all my life
see..jims trailer

Jim has thos all worked out as he tows a trailer with 90 batteries in it looking at that picture of him driving his coach across derby countys football ground:ROFLMAO:

could be north africa though?

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
We have a truma water heater, it has 3 settings, the lowest of which is 500w. So far thats been plenty to give us hot water, and leave marging for other devices. we do use low wattage kettle and toaster, both take a bit longer in use. we never use the kettle and toaster at the same time. we always have fridge on leccy. We usually use gas for the fire, so far it has not had to be on high or on for long before we have to turn it off because we are too warm (much as in the snail we had for years).

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Well if Jim is right about the fire and Im sure he is and its only 10 amp then it would take very little extra to trip it. Just use the fire on gas next time and if everything else works then perhaps that was it. Our fire is gas only not electric and it doesnt seem to use that much. Lots of people say gas is better anyway. In Europe many sockets are only 6amp or even 3amp.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back