Wood turning ? (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I love working with wood but haven't touched a wood turning lathe since leaving school.

I used to love it and with more time on my hands and a garden shed to escape to I was thinking on taking it up again as a hobby.

So, what make, size etc.. I have a few ideas but would appreciate any advice . Will be looking for a second hand machine so no four figure prices thanks :roflmto:

Or maybe someone has one gathering dust they want to sell ??

thanks in advance :Smile:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Oh Jim, I hope you DO take it up again.

One of my big regrets in life is that I never took up joinery... I know it sounds daft ... but in my day women just didn't get that kind of opportunity.

There are so many things, even in the motorhome, I would love to make but just don't have the knowledge... and the feel of wood is so beautiful.. I'm sure that when I go around shops with carved wooden objects people must think I am weird. I just love the touch of them... so many clever people out there.

I hope you find some machinery secondhand. Have you thought of contacting your local college as when they upgrade their machinery they must need to do something with the old equipment. And if you do go ahead, please let us know how you are doing...:Smile:

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
ahh Jim, not quite what you want but I sold a combination machine (thicknesser, saw etc) recently :( it was about £2500 new and I only got about £200 for it :cry: although I did pay less than that for it myself :ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Jim, when Highwayman stayed on site here he took a piece of wood from the wood pile and low and behold a beautiful turned wooden vase came in the post. Its really lovely on the side with corn and poppies in it.
Have a chat with him.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Wow Dylan,,,, that's the sort of thing I would LOVE to be able to do... Any chance of a photo? Joy

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Needn't cost a bomb, have a look on e bay, with cheap reasonable quality imports plenty of good second hand bargains. They are not very complicated look for one with a good length bed around 3ft , preferably with the facility for turning bowls etc. on the headstock, possibly a rotating headstock, and make sure the adjustment etc on the tailstock is ok. Tool rests need to be included.A good set of long handled turning chisels are also not very expensive.
If you need any ods and sods in hardwood for turning I have some you can have for free.
Good luck :thumb:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Needn't cost a bomb, have a look on e bay, with cheap reasonable quality imports plenty of good second hand bargains. They are not very complicated look for one with a good length bed around 3ft , preferably with the facility for turning bowls etc. on the headstock, possibly a rotating headstock, and make sure the adjustment etc on the tailstock is ok. Tool rests need to be included.A good set of long handled turning chisels are also not very expensive.
If you need any ods and sods in hardwood for turning I have some you can have for free.
Good luck :thumb:

thanks.......
have been looking on ebay , and going to keep a look out at the local farmers auction where they sell all sorts of machinery ..

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I've got one you could have for around £300.......Its a draper variable speed with tools?

PM me?

thanks for the offer, sounds like what I'm looking for, but I don't have that much to spend on one just yet .. but will keep it in mind ..

cheers

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Here it is Joy ( I hope)

woodenturnedvase.jpg

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Thanks Dylan. Lovely. And from the picture I can 'feel' the touch of the wood... Daft arn't I....

(By the way, it looks as though you live with a lovely outlook :thumb:)

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Thanks, yes and it was just a bit of rough wood off the wood pile. He is very clever.
Joy, the windows overlook a beautiful bubbling brook coming from the waterfall, pulled the curtains the other morning and there was the kingfisher swinging on some ivy looking for breakfast. ::bigsmile:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Oh Dylan, I am soooooo envious. Sounds wonderful.:thumb:

Loddy

Free Member
Jul 5, 2008
south west
Funster No
MH
RV C class
Exp
4+ 30 years tugging
Jim

I have 2 gathering dust, you can have one for nowt, trouble is I am near Bristol

Loddy

Swisstony

Free Member
Aug 29, 2010
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since August 2010
I have a Fox F46 719 Professional Wood Lathe. It is of solid cast-iron construction, and very stable......especially since mine is bolted to a concrete base.:winky:

Cost about £200 new, my only regret is that I bought one with a huge distance between turning centers, as I spend most of my time turning pens! :RollEyes:

Hope you get back into it, it helps de-stress me.

Andy

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Well, after much research , looking at new , second hand etc I finally decided on a lathe,

Bought a second hand Myford ML8 complete with all the accessories for wood and non ferrous metal turning .. with a full set of chisels .. only downside was it is 160 mls away .. pick it up next week.. can't wait ::bigsmile:

Attachments

• IMG_1616.jpg
    IMG_1616.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1629.jpg
    IMG_1629.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 24

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I'm sure a nice bit of turned wood in the Fun Christmas Auction will go down well Jim, best get practising::bigsmile:

highwayman

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Herne Bay
Funster No
MH
Low profile Rapido
Exp
Since 2005 ish
Hi Jim
Get some apple or cherry to practice-on, it's soft and a lot more forgiving when you get things wrong. Some of the real hardwoods will bite if you mess-up.
If you have any questions just ask, i can't be certain to know the answer but i'll have a go.

Cheers...nige

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
Jim

Are you sure your a beginner?

They look really good from here.

Sonja

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Very nice Jim :thumb: They need cooking on a low light for a long time to make them tender :ROFLMAO: make sure they are not poisonous ones :thumb:::bigsmile:
terry

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Jim they are beautiful... Honestly they really are.... I am always buying wooden mushrooms, both my daughter and I are taken by them..

Congratulations on a job well done... you could certainly start a little business with those guys. :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back