LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Anyone got or know where I can get at reasonable price a small catalytic heater, as fitted in a lot of lorry cabs and small race vans ?

The Miller is fitted with warm air system only, no 'fire' at all

Using the blown air system uses gas at a quite alarming rate and kills the batteries very quickly :Eeek:

No room anywhere to fit a normal heater/fire but the small ( usually about a foot square ) cat heaters can be mounted in a variety of ways and places

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
But what about the combustion products ?

there is no combustion , so none produced, they give off no CO but do use Oxygen so I guess they do need some ventilation .. used to have one in a caravan .. the days before blown air heaters.

Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

atakd

Free Member
Nov 15, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since '99
Shame you cant run em on on board LPG

You can.
http://www.tcschandlery.co.uk/7830/TCS-Chandlery-Catalytic-Heater.html

Just fit the appropriate reg for butane or propane.

They do produce 2kg of water for every 1kg of gas burnt, consume O2 and produce CO2 so ventilation is a very good idea. No CO is produced though so there is no risk of death: CO2 build up or O2 defficiency will cause breathlessness, not drowsiness and most heaters are fitted with low O2 sensors.

I asked the same thing on another forum but the above info put me off.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Do not underestimate CO2 I was told by an anaesthetist. Just as good a killer as CO.

Indeed, why it makes such a good fire suppressant ..

but it's only dangerous to life when the concentration is over 80% , by comparison it only needs a very low level of CO to kill ..

I would never suggest using one while asleep .. but used with a small amount of ventilation, (which all motorhomes and caravans have by law,) there is very little risk.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i have a cat heater in the RV......load of crap !!!!!

its around a foot square and runs on the 'house' gas tank.

even in the dark the 'radiant' panel is very dull red for the bottom inch or so and no heat is produced from half way up.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Cartridges evidently last 7 hours on full blast and the Coleman ones are not that dear at the moment, 4 canisters for £14-95p

I suppose you could adapt the end of a hose to screw into one of these heaters

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
i have a cat heater in the RV......load of crap !!!!!

its around a foot square and runs on the 'house' gas tank.

even in the dark the 'radiant' panel is very dull red for the bottom inch or so and no heat is produced from half way up.

maybe it's a 110v yank one john :roflmto:

It's donkeys years since I used one but from memory they don't glow red , only on heating up when the pilot gas is lit.

.. one of my mates has one in his RV by the door to help in winter when off EHU .. but it won't heat an RV on it's own.

I think they are ideal when not on EHU as there is no battery drain.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
maybe it's a 110v yank one john :roflmto:

It's donkeys years since I used one but from memory they don't glow red , only on heating up when the pilot gas is lit.

.. one of my mates has one in his RV by the door to help in winter when off EHU .. but it won't heat an RV on it's own.

I think they are ideal when not on EHU as there is no battery drain.

glows dull red at the very bottom and kicks out a fair bit of heat but nearer the top you would get a worse burn off a fag end.

ok if you sit in front of it but sit to one side and it gives no benefit.

maybe needs looking at ?

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I had a cat heater fitted in my old Rockwood by Daves RV Canock,it was perfect and had it fitted to the wooden wall by the door.I had this fitted to save on batteries when not on hookup and it used little or no gas unlike the US blown heaters.
I have a vented caravan type heater in my curent Tiffin doing the same job perfectly,the US blown heater is used to give a 10 minute blast of heat first thing in the morning and then the normal gas heater takes over for the rest of the day,thats of course in cold weather.
Both systems are miserly in there gas consumption and dont eat into your battery capacity.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
don't think there is much you can do John , .. perhaps give it a blow out , get rid of any built up dirt ?

It's the same technology as a cat on a car, .. maybe yours is on it's last legs :Sad:

i was thinking more of checking the "burner" jet for dirt incase it aint getting enough gas.

makes little difference whether the control knob is on heat one or heat two.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
i was thinking more of checking the "burner" jet for dirt incase it aint getting enough gas.

worth checking ... :thumb:

the only problem I recall with mine was a broken thermocouple which holds the gas valve open.. maybe it's not fully open ?

you'll soon have it sussed :winky:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
ok if you sit in front of it but sit to one side and it gives no benefit.

They are sold as radiant heaters that do not heat the air, so if you're not in the beam, you're not heated. Need to sit on a revolving stool.

Once the catalyst is poisoned by contaminants in the gas it is dead, ex-catalyst, no more.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Well the one in Darrells race van is still ok after about 4 years and that does a fine job.

Wonder if he will notice if I nick it and paint a shoe box to look like it ?

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000

Check the RV regulater pressure,I think its called milibars,then check what presure the heater should work at,it will say on it somwhere.
It has been known for people to fit the wrong heater.Also is your regulater putting out enough pressure,its only a small jet on the heater so any loss will be evident in the heat output.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Check the RV regulater pressure,I think its called milibars,then check what presure the heater should work at,it will say on it somwhere.
It has been known for people to fit the wrong heater.Also is your regulater putting out enough pressure,its only a small jet on the heater so any loss will be evident in the heat output.

apologies to john for hijacking his thread...:Blush:

Dave, without the correct test gear it aint possible to check the reg pressure (standard rv dual stage regulater) but as a guide the hob burners burn right...all of them at once...and the fridge/freezer chills down well enough and the water boiler works fast so i dont think its a pressure problem..as mentioned, it could be the catalyst is past its sell by or the jet may be partly blocked.
i'll have a look at the stated reg pressure and the stated input pressure to the heater and see if they tally...

the previous owner said the heater was the dogs do-da's so it may just have developed the 'fault'.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )