Dont know what to do. Dome or Folding Satellite System (1 Viewer)

pkurzok

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
australia
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
give your 5 pence worth on this problem
i am about to invest good chunk of my pounds on a satellite system which will be auto (as i am to thick to handle manual) should i go dome or not dome. i will be traveling all over europe for this next 5 years. and are any brand better than others

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
A couple of years ago i would have said avoid the domes, but I think they are much better than they used to be. For coverage and system adviice I would ring Roadpro, a years or so ago, the boss of that company did extensive testing of a couple of systems over a lot of Europe. They will give you good advice too, they are an excellent company:thumb:

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
satellite

hi there,we have had both over the years and at present have a dish but they are very prone to movement in a strong wind.if we ever change our system i would go for a dome.like Jim said they have improved 10fold over the last 2 or three years :winky: regards brian jo & josh:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

davidallan

Free Member
Oct 22, 2007
Leeds
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
26 yrs CVing + 14< MH' ing
Dome sat...

IMHO try and go for the 'Dome' system. We've had both types over some few years and the Camos 40 Dome has served us very well. Even had some Freesat stations down along the Spanish/Med south coast From Roses nearly to Malaga...did not expect anything:RollEyes:
There are a few different types/makes of domes aaaaand the wind does not affect them.
I did in fact install ours [ being a major DIY / Bodger/Pratler] - and it presented no real problems...just make sure the Hole thro the roof is in the correct place and super water protected/sealed etc. 4+ years on & NO problems so far..Otherwise leave that to the Pros'.

...PS Thank goodness we lost 'Neighbours' amongst the few stations we eventualy lost on our 8 week EU trip !!
My wife not too happy tho':cry:

thefman

Free Member
Sep 4, 2007
notts
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since 2000
Hi save youself some money and get a camos flat sat pro
it is manual but it's easy takes a couple of mins
plus they are great in the wind and fold flat to the roof
£500 ish

Mark.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
watched the flats being lowered at Lincoln

I have a dome, fitted by VanBitz..first class job.

At Lincoln I saw the flat (dish) type being lowered due to the wind... not us, we had the dome running when ever we wanted. Rain can effect them same as a normal dish. Had mine working in the South of France on free to air .. it is a NETA. Had it just over year now and found it to be good.

Suggest you look about and see prices. Also I would make sure who ever fits it takes in to consideration where it is located as I know one owner (Rick - Motor roamin) has had one fitted on his RV and it is a target for over hanging trees as the company fitted it without a lot of thought on the UK near side. Plus I know he has had no end of problems with it due to having two TV's and gets engine interferance when in motion (sat in motion system) The compnay who fitted had to attend to it at Bath & West and he had to yet again speak to them at Lincoln (no names .. but I am sure Rick would tell you what he thinks of the company).. mine is use on a site only type and has no in motion facility.

By the way Van Bitz checked my roof installation without being asked when I was in last for another job to be done to make sure it was all safe and sound... now that is what service is about... They were fitting a pole to pole unit and were in a locker and I wondered why they were up the gantary over the roof.. told just making sure all is OK and applying additional fixings - due to a tree strike on another motor home - after sales service at its best.

NETA have provided now a new slimmer control box (latest version) but I have found it fast to aquire sats and does all I ask of it. ..recommended

Bob:thumb:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I have a Neta dome and it works fine. Only trouble with any roof fixed system is if signal is blocked by trees etc on site.
I have also an old sky dish on a tripod so that I can move it around on difficult sites :thumb:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
I have a Camos Flat Sat Plus and it must be simple because I can use it. Great reception, fast and easy tuning and no problems with the wind.

As said the domes are much improved, however, I would stick with the Flat Sat Plus.

I coudnt justify the cost of an automatic dish when the Flat Sat operates so effiecentley

As said by our ringleader Jim, give Road Pro a call. They are most helpful and know what their talking about. I dont think that they would put you on a bum steer just to make a sale.

Jim
:Smile:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
after thought

I have a Neta dome and it works fine. Only trouble with any roof fixed system is if signal is blocked by trees etc on site.
I have also an old sky dish on a tripod so that I can move it around on difficult sites :thumb:

I have found now I tend to have to put the sat on when I get on site to see if the system will pick up a picture as with the dome you do not know which way the signal is coming from. But at shows like Lincoln it is not a problem and at Bath & West I just checked by looking at campers with a flat dish and moved the RV forward a few feet to get a tree free line of vision.

But as I say at Lincoln I watch one after the other of the flat dishes being lowered and even the free standing ones being taken down.

Bob:thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
How do you alter the LNB skew angle, which is very necessary to get a good reception in Spain?

Ian

Good question.. from Camos web site Link Removed

The LNB is also a quality unit and can be skewed if you need to.

Clearly not as simple as an ordinary dish, requiring the removal of 12 screws to remove the top.

In saying that, in all my travels in Spain with a Maxview crank up I never had to skew the LNB.

tommytli

Funster
May 26, 2009
lancashire
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
since july 07
i have the camos dome 40cm and my mate smith123 has the flat camos pro (crank up) we have just done a month in europe and his was the better i would say, he locked on quicker than mine some times and his was manual, they got the same channels on our trip, save ya cash and go for the camos plus they are around £400, when i bought my camos it was £1750, and if i had to buy one again it would be the one my mate has

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Dont know about the dome but with the dish you unscrew 2 wingnuts on the dish and move/scew the dish around. Then tighten the two wing nuts.

You do have to get on the roof to access the wing nuts. Ive never had to use it.

Jim
:Smile:

carpyone

Free Member
Mar 28, 2008
Needingworth, Cambs
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3 years
I had a camos 40 dome fitted this year. No problems all over France, using sky all sites used, signals quickly found.
Only downside, on the toll roads when leaving at unmanned (ie automatic booths), they measured the height of the vehicle to determin class/price and always classed me as class 3 whilst all manned toll booths charged me class 2. My m/h is 3.05m but with the dome it is 3.30m.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back