Gear lever chattering on my Fiat in 5th gear!! (1 Viewer)

Mark Forton

Free Member
Sep 20, 2010
Funster No
Hi All,

New to this great site - hopefully I'm using it right ::bigsmile:

I have just picked up an 2006 Autotrail Arapaho Fiat Ducato 2.8jtd. It is low mileage and runs a treat, but I get an awful vibration/chattering sound in fifth gear, between 2,000 and 2,500 revs. If I grab the gear level, it stops until I let go. Have any of you guys experienced this - any idea what is causing it?

Many thanks

M

OP
OP
M

Mark Forton

Free Member
Sep 20, 2010
Funster No
Thanks for the reply...

Its only done 10,000 and gear lever feels great in use. There is a distinct "throbbing" feeling on the lever when in fifth (when I am holding to stop the noise). They are cable change - where would the bushes be on this model?
M

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
on cars, this often can be caused by a wearing inner drive shaft joint.. although in this case it's most noticeable under acceleration in 3 and 4.. the driveshaft wriggles when under pressure, and the symptom is a wobbly stick

engine mounts would be my next guess too..

although, 10K , scrub what I said :)

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Cable change?

Is the cable 'pulling' to a point were it makes contact with something, like the engine/gearbox and hence vibration. Stick it in fifth on the drive and have a look about with a torch maybe?

Worth a good look at the engine and gearbox mounts failing that to make sure all's well?

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
I think it is probably the gear knob coming loose. They fall off quite a bit - usually ping around the interior of the van. You then need to hold the wheel, locate the knob and the spring! Great fun.

See if it has sidewards movement by twistying. If it twists, then the lugs are gone which will cause it to vibrate and rattle.

OP
OP
M

Mark Forton

Free Member
Sep 20, 2010
Funster No
Thanks - I hope it is a cable making contact and intend to have a good route around at the weekend. Some other research has suggested everything from a low gear oil level to a knackered fifth gear!

Cable change?

Is the cable 'pulling' to a point were it makes contact with something, like the engine/gearbox and hence vibration. Stick it in fifth on the drive and have a look about with a torch maybe?

Worth a good look at the engine and gearbox mounts failing that to make sure all's well?

OP
OP
M

Mark Forton

Free Member
Sep 20, 2010
Funster No
Thanks - it seems very secure, but I will double check.

Mark

I think it is probably the gear knob coming loose. They fall off quite a bit - usually ping around the interior of the van. You then need to hold the wheel, locate the knob and the spring! Great fun.

See if it has sidewards movement by twistying. If it twists, then the lugs are gone which will cause it to vibrate and rattle.

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Thanks - I hope it is a cable making contact and intend to have a good route around at the weekend. Some other research has suggested everything from a low gear oil level to a knackered fifth gear!

At 10K lets hope it's a simple:thumb:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
If it is the knob, just lay a finger on top and see if the rattle goes. That will be the knob. If the stick itself is vibration to wildly, then it could be engine or box related. The model you have was prone to a faulty injector rail, which could be causing a slight misfire or timing irregularity. Check for small cracks or leaks where air may be getting in or diesel getting out.

Low/high gearbox oil usually comes with other problems or signs. Difficulty engaging first or reverse, more prominant when cold or after a short journey and also a flickering speedo needle. Water ingress in known to happen on these boxes, as the scuttle drain dumps it on top, push this behend the gearbox, extend if you like.

Change the box oil and see if it is full of water, or emulsified oil - that will be a sign that the scuttle drain is to blame.

OP
OP
M

Mark Forton

Free Member
Sep 20, 2010
Funster No
Hi, Thanks for the advice.

The engine runs smoother than any other 2.8jtd I've driven. The noise only occurs in fifth at 2000 revs up. If I hold the knob (it needs more than a finger on it) - or push it to one side, or up or down, the noise goes. The second I take pressure off it, the noise immediately returns. I have no other issues with the box - all gears engage smoothly - no grating - stays in gear - so I am hoping something is vibrating on the cable when it is in fifth gear position - but they aren't the easiest to get at to check.

thanks again

Mark

If it is the knob, just lay a finger on top and see if the rattle goes. That will be the knob. If the stick itself is vibration to wildly, then it could be engine or box related. The model you have was prone to a faulty injector rail, which could be causing a slight misfire or timing irregularity. Check for small cracks or leaks where air may be getting in or diesel getting out.

Low/high gearbox oil usually comes with other problems or signs. Difficulty engaging first or reverse, more prominant when cold or after a short journey and also a flickering speedo needle. Water ingress in known to happen on these boxes, as the scuttle drain dumps it on top, push this behend the gearbox, extend if you like.

Change the box oil and see if it is full of water, or emulsified oil - that will be a sign that the scuttle drain is to blame.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back