mudmover

Free Member
Apr 30, 2010
Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
We are travelling to La Baule( near St Nazaire) in a couple of weeks as its the wife's b'day.

Ideally we would like to travel from Poole or Portsmouth however on checking the online quoting, Ive been horrified to see costs of +£300.

Now Ive read many posts about cheap ferry crossings....

Can anybody point me in the right direction to get decent pricing as I'm a little concerned (to say the least).

Many thx
MM

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
We always used the Dover Calais route..we used to drive down from "oop norf" and into Dover.. and buy our tickets through Dover Eurochange however I see in your post you would like to use Poole or Pompey..anyway try this link http://www.dovereurochange.co.uk hope this helps MM

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
as with all types of comercial travel these days the earlier you book the cheaper the price.
On the crossing you chose did you add a cabin? i think they come in somewhere around the 90 mark for a two berth bunk room, and the size of the motorhome makes a difference - make sure you are accurate in sizes and dont forget to include anything sticking up on top in the height as some decks are low in height.
we usually go from dover these days over to calais then drive

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
M

mudmover

Free Member
Apr 30, 2010
Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Poole to France

No cabin or anything special.....

Just a straightforward return crossing..

Rgds
MM

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We are travelling to La Baule
Many thx
MM

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh. Our first trip to France long time ago. My feet got blistered on the hot sand. Not a problem you'll have.

Must go back one day, see how it's changed. It would be good if made an album here when you return so we can all enjoy your trip.

On ferry costs, if you cost in diesel these days and aire or campsite plus tolls then you'll find the long crossings are nowhere near as expensive as they look. We've booked Santander, £644, it made me gasp at first then I worked out 1600 miles, 4 stops, 6 days all saved and I reckon we come out winning.

OP
OP
M

mudmover

Free Member
Apr 30, 2010
Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Freance crossing

I have just looked on the caravan club site and the costs are still in excess of £300 from portsmouth or poole....

From dover /calais its £70.....

I guess a few extra hours of drving are called for...

Cheers
MM

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back