Free Member
Sep 21, 2010
Saddleworth
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 20 September 10!
Hi, all of you! Just introducing me and Other Half, seriously Newbie motorhomers - we collected our first MH yesterday afternoon, so couldn't really be newer! Haven't taken it out yet, apart from the long slog home, and are still finding out where everything is, and how things work. After 2 hours of hunting we finally found the cold water tank :Doh: ! Can anyone tell me, btw, if it's possible to get hold of touch-up stuff for the uretheny/foamy/plascticy covering on the MH body? This one (aka Brian the Snail) has the odd little dink and hole in his shell, and it would seem like a smart idea to patch it up.

Any tips, hints, good ideas, bad ideas, warnings, encouragements would be warmly welcomed!! Nice to be part of a really friendly group xx :Smile:

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
hi

hi there and a warm welcome to MHF and all it has to offer,enjoy your time here.:welcome: regards brian jo & josh:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Free Member
Dec 3, 2009
surrey
Funster No
MH
hymer A class
Exp
since 2010
Hi, all of you! Just introducing me and Other Half, seriously Newbie motorhomers - we collected our first MH yesterday afternoon, so couldn't really be newer! Haven't taken it out yet, apart from the long slog home, and are still finding out where everything is, and how things work. After 2 hours of hunting we finally found the cold water tank :Doh: ! Can anyone tell me, btw, if it's possible to get hold of touch-up stuff for the uretheny/foamy/plascticy covering on the MH body? This one (aka Brian the Snail) has the odd little dink and hole in his shell, and it would seem like a smart idea to patch it up.

Any tips, hints, good ideas, bad ideas, warnings, encouragements would be warmly welcomed!! Nice to be part of a really friendly group xx :Smile:

wellcome to the club
, upload pictures certain that someone will come along to give advice and material to use

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Welcome BriantheSnail to MH Fun

Glad to welcome another Funster

As said give us a picture and someone will know the answer, there are years of knowledge on this forum make good use of it, advice freely given, sometimes tongue in cheek but still given.

Good luck on your first trip, let us know how it goes.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi BriantheSnail and :welcome:to MotorhomrFun.:thumb:

flyingwelcome

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Would be interesting to see photos... What part of the country are you from?

OP
OP
BriantheSnail

BriantheSnail

Free Member
Sep 21, 2010
Saddleworth
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 20 September 10!
Would be interesting to see photos... What part of the country are you from?

Thank you all so much! Wow! Will take photos of the blobs/scratches as soon as it's daylight again. None of the 'blemishes' are serious, but you know what it's like when you've got a new toy to play with, and want it to look immaculate!

Movan, we're in the North West as well! Saddleworth, to be precise. Whereabouts are you?

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Hi and welcome to fun - there will soon be enough of us in the north west to go head to head with the north east coast gang :ROFLMAO:

Dalek

Free Member
Apr 26, 2010
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 600
Exp
18 months
Hi and Welcome to the Fun. Hope its not too blustery up there on Saddleworth Moor ( ex Huddersfield )!!

In your profile you say you have an Auto Roller, is that a Roller Team, if so give me the details of it as I am taking ours in for service and hab check tomorrow to a Roller Team Dealers and they maybe able to help.

Dale

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Brian, your first motorhome, there's plenty to learn, but you've done good so far by finding the fun. Welcome:thumb:

OP
OP
BriantheSnail

BriantheSnail

Free Member
Sep 21, 2010
Saddleworth
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 20 September 10!
Hi and Welcome to the Fun. Hope its not too blustery up there on Saddleworth Moor ( ex Huddersfield )!!

In your profile you say you have an Auto Roller, is that a Roller Team, if so give me the details of it as I am taking ours in for service and hab check tomorrow to a Roller Team Dealers and they maybe able to help.

Dale

You're all lovely; thank you so much for the warm welcome - I'm fillin' up!:smalllove:
Funny you should mention Saddleworth Moor, Dalek; that was the way we had to come back! On the Holmfirth side it was lovely; sunny, warm, gorgeous. As soon as we climbed out onto the moor it was gross; rain, mist, full headlights.

I'm now going to attempt to post a photo of the 'bullet holes' (please God they're not!) on the nearside of Brian the Snail ... way hey! I think it's worked! I know they're not HUGE holes, but my worry is that a) they'll get bigger and b) water will seep down underneath the plastic coating (what is it?) and just make it all worse. What I'd love to do is bung the holes up, but don't want to use anything inappropriate or silly. Like chewing gum! Would a quick squirt of silicon do it?

It's now Brian's 3rd day with us, and we've spent the entire day cleaning him. The inside was just unreal; it took me 3 hours to clean the fridge out. We've also found out that the shower pan's been emptying (probably for years) into the space under the bathroom, the tank sensors don't work (!) and the previous owners have been obsessed with stickers - everywhere! Thank God for Sticky Stuff Remover xxxxxx Having said all that, Brian is now definitely part of the family, so this weekend we're taking him out for the day - Goodness knows where, but probably not too far, just in case! Our own fault; having never bought a Brian before we assumed (fatal!) that the seller would tell us if something was wrong, broken or missing. We'll know next time! Having said that, we reckon we got Brian for a good price, and by the time he's been reupholstered and cleaned (!) I don't think we'll lose.

Dalek, you asked if it was a Roller Team. Now ... it's a 1997, and has 'AutoRoller 2' on it's back end, right at the top. 1950 engine ... can't think of any other identifiers, because the handbook's no longer with it. Suspect it's not a Roller Team, somehow ... What we're desperate for is a replacement for the tank sensors; they're shorting out, and Him Indoors can't work out why because he can't get behind the panel to examine them (he's an electronics engineer, so don't panic!)

It's really strange, the knowledge that we can just go away for a day, or two, or three, on a whim. Bit like having a holiday home, but not knowing where it is! We run our own company with a 24/7 service response, so can never plan anything ahead. For the first time in 25-odd years we can now disappear, and not worry about hideous hotel bills if we have to rush back at a moment's notice. It's actually quite difficult to get into the mind-set of being able to run away without leaving 'tracks' all over the place. Like it!:Smile:

Thank you all, again ... wave, please, when you're passing!

Attachments

• Nearside bullet holes!.jpg
    Nearside bullet holes!.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 22

Dalek

Free Member
Apr 26, 2010
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 600
Exp
18 months
Mmm, interesting they look as if something was screwed into the panel. Well if you bought it in Holmfirth it was probarbly used as a ram raiding vehicle - only joking.

Dale

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Our own fault; having never bought a Brian before we assumed (fatal!) that the seller would tell us if something was wrong, broken or missing.

You know, I've really taken to you guys. Now keep this quiet, I don't want this to hit the headlines until all the deals are done but I've discovered a rich gold seam on Ilkley Moor. The surveyor says there's tonnes of the stuff. Now here's the hard part, I need a few more thousands to complete the purchase of the moor and seeing as you are such nice people I'd like to offer you a chance of a lifetime and offer you 50% of the shares in the Ilkley Moor Gold Mine Corporation for just £25,000. It's got to be cash, the guy I'm buying it off does not want to pay capital gains task, know what I mean. So what do you think ?

PS
>> We've also found out that the shower pan's been emptying (probably for years) into the space under the bathroom,

Now this is *serious*. Try and get under and look for rot before it's too late.

OP
OP
BriantheSnail

BriantheSnail

Free Member
Sep 21, 2010
Saddleworth
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 20 September 10!
Mmm, interesting they look as if something was screwed into the panel. Well if you bought it in Holmfirth it was probarbly used as a ram raiding vehicle - only joking.

Dale

No, bought it in Barnsley, which kind of strengthens your observation ::bigsmile:
The holes have no pattern to them, though, and are different sizes - and not round; they're sort of 'torn'. Whatever, they're holes in the fabric and, apart from looking horrid, I'm sure they can't be good for Brian's health!

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
No, bought it in Barnsley, which kind of strengthens your observation ::bigsmile:
The holes have no pattern to them, though, and are different sizes - and not round; they're sort of 'torn'. Whatever, they're holes in the fabric and, apart from looking horrid, I'm sure they can't be good for Brian's health!

No scale on your picture - what is the distance between the horizontal lines, or tape a £1 on the side and re-photograph.

They could be pin prick defects made worse by a few winters. They could be from damp inside, someone recently reported a problem he had because damp in the wooden frame ate it's way through the ali skin from inside. So look on the other side of those holes.

Sounds like you might need a cheapo damp meter, go onto ebay and type in caravan damp meter -- from £6.

OP
OP
BriantheSnail

BriantheSnail

Free Member
Sep 21, 2010
Saddleworth
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 20 September 10!
You know, I've really taken to you guys. Now keep this quiet, I don't want this to hit the headlines until all the deals are done but I've discovered a rich gold seam on Ilkley Moor. The surveyor says there's tonnes of the stuff. Now here's the hard part, I need a few more thousands to complete the purchase of the moor and seeing as you are such nice people I'd like to offer you a chance of a lifetime and offer you 50% of the shares in the Ilkley Moor Gold Mine Corporation for just £25,000. It's got to be cash, the guy I'm buying it off does not want to pay capital gains task, know what I mean. So what do you think ?

PS
>> We've also found out that the shower pan's been emptying (probably for years) into the space under the bathroom,

Now this is *serious*. Try and get under and look for rot before it's too late.

Wow! GOLD on Ilkley Moor! Sounds like our kind of thing! Unfortunately we've already invested MILLIONS in the Ripponden Moor Diamond Mining Company Inc ... they reckon they'll be pulling them out by the shedload within weeks! Don't be mean about Brian; he was very cheap and has only done 28k miles. If the previous owner had been a bit more talented in the cleaning area he'd have been about 2k more, and by the time we've finished with him he'll be just the most stunning Snail you've ever seen! Encrusted with Ripponden Moor diamonds, obviously ...

As for the shower pan issue, it had already started to rot the timber underneath, but it's now been sorted with a stainless steel section and ... something else (can't remember the name, but it's a squirty thing! You can tell, like, that I went to uni, can't you?!) Shower pan now seriously sealed, but needs a couple of days to settle in. I know - I really do know! - that we should have found out more about Brian before buying him, but our budget was limited and his engine's in A1 order. The advantage of buying something that you have to go round with a toothcomb is that you get to know every single inch of the vehicle; how everything works (or doesn't!), where everything is and what it all does. I commend to you the female half of the couple we bought Brian from: I phoned her just after we got him back to ask where the main water tank is. Answer: 'Well ... I'm not sure. No ... I don't know; it's not really my thing, that, you're better off asking ****' So how can you own a MH for 5 years AND NOT KNOW WHERE THE WATER TANK IS?!! (Might also explain why it took me 3 hours - really! - to clean 'her' fridge out today!)

I know where the water tank is, and we've only had Brian for 3 days!

BTW - won't tell anyone about the Ilkley Moor investment; it'll be our secret!:winky:

OP
OP
BriantheSnail

BriantheSnail

Free Member
Sep 21, 2010
Saddleworth
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 20 September 10!
No scale on your picture - what is the distance between the horizontal lines, or tape a £1 on the side and re-photograph.

They could be pin prick defects made worse by a few winters. They could be from damp inside, someone recently reported a problem he had because damp in the wooden frame ate it's way through the ali skin from inside. So look on the other side of those holes.

Sounds like you might need a cheapo damp meter, go onto ebay and type in caravan damp meter -- from £6.

That sounds scary. How on earth do you access the section between the internal and external facings without stripping the whole internal section apart?

Just been out to scale the photo with a 2p piece (did you know that a 2p piece is exactly 1" in diameter? How illogical: metric coin, imperial dimension) which gives a much better idea of it ...

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
That sounds scary. How on earth do you access the section between the internal and external facings without stripping the whole internal section apart?

Well a damp meter will give a good hint as to whether you need to make the effort.

I don't know where is it, if you are lucky it's in the back of a cupboard and you can just hack a hole through. If it's a visible wall well I can do you a nice little, genuine, Monet, perfect for the right ambience in a MH and hiding big holes. We'll haggle a few bucketfuls of diamonds.

Damp is the one thing to strike fear into MHers. Luckily it sounds like you are good in the DIY dept.

Once your shower is set you have to learn to use it. Many have posted "I have to fill my water tank twice a day". Clearly they know where their water tank is. But the failing is not doing -- water -- off, soap -- water - off - rub - not too much we don't want to get excited in there - water - dry. Then you try and figure out how to dry a big wet towel. Let me know the answer to that one.

OP
OP
BriantheSnail

BriantheSnail

Free Member
Sep 21, 2010
Saddleworth
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 20 September 10!

Attachments

• Bullet Holes 2.jpg
    Bullet Holes 2.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 15

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

You can't - sometimes the whole insides get stripped out - fittings 'n' all. Sometimes they remover the outer skin as an easier option.

Don't Panic..........

That picture puts the holes into perspective. I don't like the straight line - that could imply a horizontal batten on the inside.

Grab a pin and poke in a hole, feel if is rotted through or just surface damage.

We do get a lot of surface damage on MHs - the width is the problem.

OP
OP
BriantheSnail

BriantheSnail

Free Member
Sep 21, 2010
Saddleworth
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 20 September 10!
Well a damp meter will give a good hint as to whether you need to make the effort.

I don't know where is it, if you are lucky it's in the back of a cupboard and you can just hack a hole through. If it's a visible wall well I can do you a nice little, genuine, Monet, perfect for the right ambience in a MH and hiding big holes. We'll haggle a few bucketfuls of diamonds.

Damp is the one thing to strike fear into MHers. Luckily it sounds like you are good in the DIY dept.

Once your shower is set you have to learn to use it. Many have posted "I have to fill my water tank twice a day". Clearly they know where their water tank is. But the failing is not doing -- water -- off, soap -- water - off - rub - not too much we don't want to get excited in there - water - dry. Then you try and figure out how to dry a big wet towel. Let me know the answer to that one.

I've got so many Monets I don't know where to put them, honest. A little Leonardo cartoon, though ... do me nicely, Sir!

Him Indoors (Him with the Brain) has been underneath Brian (metaphorically, of course) and reports no rotting timbers up on his left hand side. The leaking shower pan's been sorted, and the rotting timber sorted with a stainless steel section. The photo I sent through earlier was with a 2p piece, which is exactly 1" across (metric ... imperial ... ?!) and we're wondering now if Brian's had a mini side-swipe at some point. The back valance was held to the body on that side with (God help us) a mild steel screw, which kind of suggests being backed into a tree or ... whatever. Him Indoors has been up on the roof, and there's nothing coming in there ... damp meter could be a smart move! :thumb:

OP
OP
BriantheSnail

BriantheSnail

Free Member
Sep 21, 2010
Saddleworth
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 20 September 10!
You can't - sometimes the whole insides get stripped out - fittings 'n' all. Sometimes they remover the outer skin as an easier option.

Don't Panic..........

That picture puts the holes into perspective. I don't like the straight line - that could imply a horizontal batten on the inside.

Grab a pin and poke in a hole, feel if is rotted through or just surface damage.

We do get a lot of surface damage on MHs - the width is the problem.

I so liked the Don't Panic! Took a (stout) pin and it wouldn't go through anything at all when poked into the little, horizontal holes. The big hole, though, let it through about 1/4 of an inch. I suspect that, because it's a much bigger hole, it's let moisture in and has softened/started rotting the timber underneath. Thank you so much ... really. Tomorrow we'll get onto that; Him Indoors plans to inject oil into the hole, then block it with silicon, ditto the smaller ones.

It's the whole size of Brian that's daunting; not just the width, but the height and the length. Ordered a reversing camera today (!) which might make our lives easier!

Now the serious question to all of you. Live in Saddleworth, north of Oldham, and want to take Brian for a day out over the weekend. Not ... too ... far ... ! Can anyone suggest a brilliant visit-y place? Lots of places we could go with a boring old car, but Brian deserves better!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back