Free Member
Oct 3, 2007
norfolk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
about 8
We have never been to france. We wouldnt know where to start. Any ideas? Is there any literature for first time idiots? Is it as easy as just going and sorting out all the new stuff when there, or is there some special knowledge / learning curve needs to be learned first. Any help and advice is appreciated!:Blush:

B

baloothebear

Deleted User
We have never been to france. We wouldnt know where to start. Any ideas? Is there any literature for first time idiots? Is it as easy as just going and sorting out all the new stuff when there, or is there some special knowledge / learning curve needs to be learned first. Any help and advice is appreciated!:Blush:

What do you want to do when you get there? Every time I go without a clue where I'm going I waste at least a week dithering and getting p***ed.
Make a plan of what might interest you.
How many miles are you prepared to drive in a day
How much do you want to spend
Do you want to "wild camp"
Do you want to be on sites
Is there another group going over and you could tack onto them

So there's a few ideas to kick off with

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Don Madge

Deceased RIP
Aug 27, 2007
East Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Too Long

It depends on when you plan to go but a good learning curve is to turn right at Calais and follow the coast, if your bright you catch on quickly if like the rest of us you learn the hard way.

I would suggest you get yourself the "Michelin Atlas Touristique France" (ISBN 978-2-06-7122277) this is the best map for finding your way around. If you want to plan a route through France you need the Michelin map 726 National "Route Planning France" this also has the speed camera details on it.

It's a great country for touring it has a bit of everything, try out the "D" roads if you get a chance.

see http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/touring_tips/AA_France_Monaco.pdf for general touring tips on France and other European countries.

Have a good trip.

Don

Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
You can read how we got on, see France in my web below.

Ralph

OP
OP
finby

finby

Free Member
Oct 3, 2007
norfolk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
about 8
Thanks for all the good advice. Ifeel better already!!:ROFLMAO:

Digger Driver

Free Member
Oct 4, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I would reccomend buying a copy of the Lonely Planet!
Its probably the best travel guide i have seen!
It lists things like places to see, Hospitals, good food, and most important it has a list of very useful phrases and their translation!
I think the Europe book costs about ÂŁ30 but its worth every penny!

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
France - Are Aires safe?

You can read how we got on, see France in my web below.

Ralph

Hi Ralph and Dot,
I enjoyed looking at your website, especially all the tips about the sites you have visited in France.

Could I ask why you dont like Aires? We are going to France in the spring and were going to use Aires on the way south. I have already asked for experiences of other motorhomers but not really had any responses yet.

Ginny and Mike

Lampie

Free Member
Nov 2, 2007
Derby
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
We have been over the last few years since having our RV. Had not a clue where to start or go, just knew wanted to end up south coast on the beach.

Well to play safe we booked with sites we had seen in a book ... LES castels.

Do a search you will find them , nice sites not cheap but nice , we stayed in a few and were very happy. The one we still use because it is, give or take a bit half way down is Link Removed I like it there it's a good half way house to the south coast, nice size pitches, full services not too far off main roads. Friendly and you can arrive in the middle of the night and have somewhere to park up.

Sites on the south coast can be nice but small pitches.

Have a look at les castels

Regards

Lampie

Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
Hi Ralph and Dot,
I enjoyed looking at your website, especially all the tips about the sites you have visited in France.

Could I ask why you dont like Aires? We are going to France in the spring and were going to use Aires on the way south. I have already asked for experiences of other motorhomers but not really had any responses yet.

Ginny and Mike

Its not really aires we don't like but staying on aires. When on holiday, we like to stay in one place for two or three days (unless we are on the way somewhere), rather than like a lot of motorhomers move on every day, so campsites are better for us, somewhere where we can spread out and relax.

Don't know if I have explained myself properly

Ralph

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Hi
there is organization called France Passion (I think that is correct), do a google search to get info. We have not used them, but the idea sounds great for touring.It is fairly safe to say that the more experienced on this site can give you more info.
Nigel & Pamala

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back